Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stormy

A-List Customer
Couldn't stand Narcisse either. However, I always listened closely to his lines. His character delivered a variety of subliminal messages and facts about black history. If you didn't pay close attention, you missed out on a lot! The writers were so clever with this.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
I absolutely LOVE hanging out in the lounge! And could someone please tell my why it is that every time I come to this forum, I have the inkling to go watch an old film? Think I'm up for To Have and Have Not right now. Perhaps because I need a match (or something) to light this gas stove so I can make some tea

Key Largo might be more apropos at the moment.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Recently watched several episodes of Endeavour, season four (the follow-on to Morse). Major disappointment. Cliched mediocrity having more or less nothing to do with the Morse/Lewis/Hathaway settings or characters except the use of Morse's name. Major disappointment, as I had so enjoyed seasons 1-3.

Key Largo might be more apropos at the moment.

Like you - not making light of it at all, but from a movie perspective, this is a not-well-known gem of a movie about a hurricane:

hurricane.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Like you - not making light of it at all, but from a movie perspective, this is a not-well-known gem of a movie about a hurricane:

View attachment 85414
Look for John D. MacDonald's novels Condominium and Murder in the Wind, both great examples of the "Grand Hotel" kind of story: disparate group of people, some good, some bad, caught by hurricane. Dangers ensue.

Condominium was done as a 2-part TV-movie in the '80s, with Steve Forrest and Barbara Eden. Don't know how good it was.

Look for John D. MacDonald's novels Condominium and Murder in the Wind, both great examples of the "Grand Hotel" kind of story: disparate group of people, some good, some bad, caught by hurricane. Dangers ensue.

Condominium was done as a 2-part TV-movie in the '80s, with Steve Forrest and Barbara Eden. Don't know how good it was.

Long time since I've read a Travis McGee novel but always enjoyed them as they weaved in a lot of smart social observations and philosophy - didn't always agree, but respected the intelligence of them.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Looking forward to The Duece on HBO. Good interview on Charlie Rose last night. David Simon from The Wire at the helm. And Maggie G, too. Great actress and never afraid of getting grimy and dark.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Angus, Morse is great, I love that show, but found Lewis and Endeavor to lack that something profound. Morse is a really good guy in a world of banal evil, Lewis and Endeavor are twee pastiches, and feel to have lost that edge.
And I couldn't help thinking that Morse had come from the flying squad all the time!

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
@Angus, Morse is great, I love that show, but found Lewis and Endeavor to lack that something profound. Morse is a really good guy in a world of banal evil, Lewis and Endeavor are twee pastiches, and feel to have lost that edge.
And I couldn't help thinking that Morse had come from the flying squad all the time!

I also like Morse the best of the three series.

Watched episodes 3 and 4 of Endeavour season 4 since my last post, and must say that they were much improved over episodes 1 and 2 of season 4.

Inspector Thursday of the Endeavour series is a great character -- I enjoy him more than Endeavour himself (the young Morse).

Disjointed, a "Netflix original" series created and produced by Chuck Lorre (Dharma & Greg, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory). Kathy Bates stars as Ruth Whitefeather Feldman, a "legendary" hippie/activist/marijuana advocate whose "half black/half Jewish" son and a crew of stereotypical characters help her run her Los Angeles marijuana dispensary. My wife and I couldn't agree on what to watch on TV last night, and I had read some rather mixed reviews for this show so we decided to give it a shot. Having seen the first five episodes, I'd have to put this in the "acquired taste" category. It's trying to be a sitcom version of a "stoner" comedy, but with the possible exception of Kathy Bates I'm not certain anyone involved with the show has ever actually tried weed. Or maybe you have to be stoned while you're watching it. Regardless, much like another Netflix series The Ranch, there's just enough going on to make me want to watch more; your mileage may vary.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Long time since I've read a Travis McGee novel but always enjoyed them as they weaved in a lot of smart social observations and philosophy - didn't always agree, but respected the intelligence of them.
True enough. MacDonald didn't create a series character (McGee) until he had been writing for some 13 years. He wanted to be sure of a character he could live with.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I tried the pilot for The Deuce on HBO. Gave up at 50 minutes. Very well acted and produced... but it's not for me. I remember when Times Square was that sleazy, and I have no fake nostalgia about it, nor much interest in its denizens.

Oh, and the pilot of The Orville on Fox. Really terrible: not funny enough, not original at all, should be 30 rather than 60 minutes - it's pretty much just Seth MacFarlane getting to cosplay Star Trek!

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ Angus, y'know, when I think about it, John Thaw's Morse and Inspector Thursday could almost be the same character (except that Thursday is a family man). I mean, his part is VERY well written; you can see how his attitudes influenced 'Thaw's Morse'. It's that thing about the spirit, not the word, of the law. Both of them are cut from the same cloth.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I tried the pilot for The Deuce on HBO. Gave up at 50 minutes. Very well acted and produced... but it's not for me. I remember when Times Square was that sleazy, and I have no fake nostalgia about it, nor much interest in its denizens.

Oh, and the pilot of The Orville on Fox. Really terrible: not funny enough, not original at all, should be 30 rather than 60 minutes - it's pretty much just Seth MacFarlane getting to cosplay Star Trek!

We often disagree but on both you're spot on here. I also lived though the era when 42 Street and Times Square was the moral equivalent of an "open sewer" and am not overly enthusiastic to return to it. The only thing that was worse was the plastic Giuliani-world that followed it. "The Orville" sucked. Too long, un-funny, overly predictable and a waste of an hour.

Worf

...Oh, and the pilot of The Orville on Fox. Really terrible: not funny enough, not original at all, should be 30 rather than 60 minutes - it's pretty much just Seth MacFarlane getting to cosplay Star Trek!
I don't think I'd go so far as to say it was "terrible", but there was certainly nothing special about it. I'm hoping it will improve, but that remains to be seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana