Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I hate to admit it, but I have been watching every documentary that comes on about the Titanic! I didn't and won't go see the movie, but I do like the real thing.

I've somehow managed to avoid seeing the film all these years. It's still difficult for friends to believe I still won't see it. Like you, the real thing is much more interesting.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I've only seen some portions of the film (namely the sinking), never in entirety!

Homes Under the Hammer - some good renovations but also sadly some beautiful Victorian homes having any shred of character ripped out and replaced with ghastly modern fittings.

I have friends who prefer Ikea furniture to antiques. I believe they are the intended audience for these types of shows!

There are many similar shows here in the US. I tried watching an episode of "Trading Spaces" after hearing raves about how great it was. Essentially the show is about 2 homeowners who swap homes for a short period of time and redecorate/remodel each other's living quarters. When the "decorator" started painting antique hardwood floors bright blue, I had to turn it off. :mad:

Last edited:
I hate to admit it, but I have been watching every documentary that comes on about the Titanic! I didn't and won't go see the movie, but I do like the real thing. Every time you think there is nothing new, you end up learning something. One of the most disgraceful events was White Star Lines, when they were sure she had sunk, they terminated the contracts with all the surviving crew. They arrived in New York, literally with the cloths on their backs. Woolworth stepped in and donated cloths, but most of the crew had to get jobs on steamers to get home! Another myth that has fallen is the one where Titanic was either intentionally or through lack of knowledge built sub standard. The Russians have brought up a peace of Titanics hull and allowed scantiest and engineers to examine it, turns out she was over built, far stronger then she needed to be. So when she hit the berg that would be that, she never had a chance.

Do you remember a TV special from 1987 called Return to the Titanic? It was hosted by Telly Savalas and it was probably the first time that the artifacts from the Titanic were shown on TV though its presentation was a bit cheesy. Here's some of the highlights for which Telly Savalas came under fire for the way the show was presented. Here he handles the artifacts with his bare hands!

[video=youtube;wNTIhrVK0I0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNTIhrVK0I0[/video]

[video=youtube;0el5xdESN5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0el5xdESN5c[/video]

Do you remember a TV special from 1987 called Return to the Titanic? It was hosted by Telly Savalas and it was probably the first time that the artifacts from the Titanic were shown on TV though its presentation was a bit cheesy. Here's some of the highlights for which Telly Savalas came under fire for the way the show was presented. Here he handles the artifacts with his bare hands!

[video=youtube;wNTIhrVK0I0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNTIhrVK0I0[/video]

[video=youtube;0el5xdESN5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0el5xdESN5c[/video]

I remember that show. Yes, even then I was still fascinated by the Titanic. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I almost forgot all about that show. All I can say about it is, it was better then Al Capone's vault!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I have friends who prefer Ikea furniture to antiques. I believe they are the intended audience for these types of shows!

I get that some people are not even vaguely interested in period features etc. and that's ok but how I wish they wouldn't buy any houses pre-1950's! If I could make that happen I would be very, very happy indeed!;)

Last night I watched Who Do You Think You Are? with Gwyneth Paltrow - really love that show!

I get that some people are not even vaguely interested in period features etc. and that's ok but how I wish they wouldn't buy any houses pre-1950's! If I could make that happen I would be very, very happy indeed!;)

Last night I watched Who Do You Think You Are? with Gwyneth Paltrow - really love that show!

I don't understand why anyone would buy an old home just to destroy it. I would guess that maybe they like the look of the exterior of older homes but aren't so stoked on the interior features of said type of homes. Still, it's tantamount to sacrilege.

Homes Under the Hammer - some good renovations but also sadly some beautiful Victorian homes having any shred of character ripped out and replaced with ghastly modern fittings.

A common sight around here, but particularly in inner city areas like South Central L.A., are prewar wooden frame houses and bungalows covered in stucco.

hpreno.jpg

Stucco%2BBefore%2B.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Touch of Evil - Yes, I agree - it is sacrilege! Only today (why do I do this to myself?!) on the same show someone bought a Victorian house which had all it's lovely Victorian features torn out some stage in the 50's but the beautiful lead glass hall door remained - all it needed was a little TLC but no - convenience came first so out it came only to be replaced with white PVC ugliness. It seems that so many people don't want to have to do any work or maintenance on their home - who cares if it's ugly as long as it lasts and I don't have to sand/paint/varnish it any time for the next hundred years?:mad:

V.C. Brunswick - I think I have an idea of what those houses should look like and it what has been done to them is an awful shame - but again it seems to me that this is done for sheer convenience and to save on the expense of maintenance.

We're thinking of getting wooden counter-tops put into our new kitchen and a lot of people have warned us off - "If it gets stained you'll have to sand it down" (so?) or "It has to be oiled once a year" (again, so?) - you'd swear it would be some kind of mammoth task. It seems very few are into putting either a little or a lot of work into their home if it can be avoided.

Touch of Evil - Yes, I agree - it is sacrilege! Only today (why do I do this to myself?!) on the same show someone bought a Victorian house which had all it's lovely Victorian features torn out some stage in the 50's but the beautiful lead glass hall door remained - all it needed was a little TLC but no - convenience came first so out it came only to be replaced with white PVC ugliness. It seems that so many people don't want to have to do any work or maintenance on their home - who cares if it's ugly as long as it lasts and I don't have to sand/paint/varnish it any time for the next hundred years?:mad:

V.C. Brunswick - I think I have an idea of what those houses should look like and it what has been done to them is an awful shame - but again it seems to me that this is done for sheer convenience and to save on the expense of maintenance.

We're thinking of getting wooden counter-tops put into our new kitchen and a lot of people have warned us off - "If it gets stained you'll have to sand it down" (so?) or "It has to be oiled once a year" (again, so?) - you'd swear it would be some kind of mammoth task. It seems very few are into putting either a little or a lot of work into their home if it can be avoided.

:frusty: :puke: I just don't understand such people. Once again I say, buy a new house and leave the beautiful works of art for those who appreciate them!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
If this is still about tv programmes, I'm re-watching Bleak House, the brilliant BBC miniseries based on my favourite Dickens novel, well, Bleak House. Carey Mulligan plays Ada Clare in it, but, cute as she is, Anna Maxwell Martin (Ester Summerson) is a true beauty!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Two more Titanic documentaries. The last I hope! It is interesting how they keep finding new things 100 years later. One of the documentaries was from last year and the other this year, the new one disproved the old one on the substandard materials myth. Just one year, and all new evidence. May they rest in peace!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace