Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you tell your former self about ordering a custom Aero?

I found this garnered, if anything, too much attention.

Did it really or did you just feel this way? We project a lot about what we wear, especially if we put on something we're not used to. Like the guy in the Deerskin movie asking the two characters at the bar if they're talking about his jacket, to which they reply why would they?

Pattern issues?? Huh? No pattern problem here:
img_7409-jpg.100056

or here:
img_1301-jpg.61821

Nothing wrong here:
c68d0f4fc1d9e16ea28c62a811c49931.jpg

Pattern felt good here:
image-jpeg.46268

Come to think of it was good here too:
full

Jeez pattern actually felt pretty darn good here too, actually the easiest jacket to wear that I've ever owned:
2a25aaec-1708-4656-967b-f5dac4b19cac-jpeg.258587

Good to go here:
View attachment 285789
I could go on and on....
None of these had low armholes...I dunno I must be missing something!? :)

I’m more interested in the visual history of your facial hair. Quick Gray McGraw heh?

A story I know too well.

I’m more interested in the visual history of your facial hair. Quick Gray McGraw heh?

A story I know too well.
LOL. Yes and when the only hair you have worth mentioning is on your face and (gulp) back....that shit is serious.

OK folks. Challenge accepted! I will wear my next Aero until it turns all the way from midnight blue to light tan. I have bookmarked this thread and in 25 years I will be back with definitive answer. Thank you in advance for your patience.

LOL. Yes and when the only hair you have worth mentioning is on your face and (gulp) back....that shit is serious.

OK folks. Challenge accepted! I will wear my next Aero until it turns all the way from midnight blue to light tan. I have bookmarked this thread and in 25 years I will be back with definitive answer. Thank you in advance for your patience.

My wife says I look like a Schnauzer. No back hair, thank the higher power.

My midnight blue has started browning after one year of intermittent wear on my bike. Your jacket will brown way before your facial hair is as regal as TM’s.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
@Monitor, I have no problem with a friendly and respectful discussion with you or anyone on this forum, and that's all we've been having. It's fine if we don't agree on everything. We DO generally agree on a lot of things. And, I agree with you, discussing things we disagree on is how we learn. We can't make any progress if we're right all the time.

I only express surprise that this is being disputed because I've been saying things that I've heard many, many times from many different forum users, and I thought it was more or less consensus that Aero jackets made from heavy CXL do benefit from breaking in. Now all of a sudden, there's a surprising amount of people on this thread saying that they don't like Aero jackets, and that jackets shouldn't require any break-in. It seemingly contradicts so much of what I've read here for years.

As for the rest of your point, I'm ready to accept that other makers jackets made from other types of leather with other patterns may not have as much, or any, need for breaking in. That said, this thread is about someone asking for first time advice buying Aero jackets, so I think my points are valid and relevant.

Anyone can have the opinion that Aero jackets aren't as comfortable new as other jackets made by other makers. I'm not here to dispute that. I am here to say that if you're set on buying Aero, you should expect there to be some need to break it in, and it will get more comfortable as the break-in process goes on. If you don't want that, the recommendation is to pick a leather other than CXL, and Aero has plenty of options there, or pick a maker other than Aero. And if you buy an Aero not knowing to expect this as part of the experience, it could surprise you, put you off the brand, and cause you to give up on a perfectly good jacket that would have rewarded you if you had stuck with it.

Part of the point I was making, there, was that there could be a difference in materials used in the repro that causes the issue.

We KNOW that Aero does use leather that tends to be heavier and stiffer than a lot of what was used in originals. We commonly speak about Aero jackets that stand up on their own. When a leather is that stiff, it affects drape. So if the jacket's weight is mostly on the neck, but should be on the shoulders, if that's due to the leather being so stiff that it's not draping over the shoulders, because it first lands at the neck, and being stiff as hell, doesn't lay down over the shoulders, then that could be the issue -- not the pattern, OR the fit. If that's the case, then the answer is either go with a leather that doesn't have that property of being too stiff, or work the stiffness out of that leather if it's the leather you really want, by rolling it, folding it, flexing it until it breaks and becomes more flexible and drapes as it should.

To test this theory, we should look at fit pics of jackets that started out with this issue, and see what they look like when worn after being fully broken in. Unfortunately, most of the examples in this thread are from @ton312, and he moves his jackets too quickly. Ton also expressed the opinion that those lines by the shoulders were not an issue for him. And most people say that his Aero jackets all look fantastic on him. So... I dunno if those lines are truly an issue, despite the wearer's opinion that they are not. But if they are, then we should see Ton wearing one of his customs after it's been worn enough that it doesn't stand on its own any more. That could take a very long time, unless we start introducing deliberate efforts at breaking the leather around the collar and shoulders.

The way i see it, you talk like all fit problems can be fixed by breaking the jacket in, this is what I (and i think Monitor) disagree about. I didn't say "Aero jackets aren't as comfortable new" i said i didn't find them comfortable full stop.
I have worn both of these jackets enough for them to be fully broken in.
Some things got better, the arms for example are nice and soft, the body is soft enough that they don't ride and choke me when i sit, the leather is really soft and supple, they are both softer than the LW or the Vanson i posted above. Neither of them is comfortable, they both hang on the neck, they are both uncomfortable to live with.
It has nothing to do with leather stiffness.

They both show the same neck creases that Ton's jackets show:

sVKPskS.jpg

ifUBF9R.jpg

Now, i really don't think these creases are a problem visually, i don't think they prevent a jacket from looking fantastic.
What i think is that they are the visual representation of a pattern problem that makes the jackets uncomfortable to wear.
They still look great!
A Langlitz for example can look a lot worst visually, but feels a million times better.

Edit: the bottom one is actually an early day Alexander leather, but it might as well be an Aero...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Did it really or did you just feel this way? We project a lot about what we wear, especially if we put on something we're not used to. Like the guy in the Deerskin movie asking the two characters at the bar if they're talking about his jacket, to which they reply why would they?

Perhaps - it's in a box shipping out as we speak.

The piece about "just did not love it" had more to do with the decision. Been that way for a few girlfriends as well, but that's another thread & topic. :)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

For purposes of scientific inquiry, we should also test with midweight CXL, FQHH vs Steer, Vicenza, Goat... they will give results sooner, and would help to establish whether it's fit, pattern, or material.

Of the 31 Aero jackets I've had, most were CXL Steer or Horse, one Vicenza, and probably one that was Connolly Steer. CXL being by far the most common, and most of it being either mid or heavy, some super heavy. I like the heavy stuff, I just do. It may not be the most comfortable wearing leather you can pick, but I like how secure it feels. Give me that 4.0-4.5+ oz stuff. I like a jacket that weighs between 5.5-7 lbs, with 6 being about the sweet spot for me.

But I actually sold two of the very heaviest that I've had: a tagged size 36 Bootlegger that somehow fit me at a 42" chest, and a tagged 38 50's HB that was just too small on me. I could have kept both, but I put them up on the bay at a price I would be willing to part with them, and they sold. If the 50's HB had been a 40, or 42, I would have never have sold it. My only other super heavy CXL right now is the King of the Road. The black Sheene is "heavy" CXL Steer, but is the more recent "heavy" 3oz CXL, not the dreadnought 4+oz stuff they were using a few years ago.

The way i see it, you talk like all fit problems can be fixed by breaking the jacket in, this is what I (and i think Monitor) disagree about.

You're misreading me. I'm saying that many people who move their jackets before they are broken in may be moving jackets that would fit them just fine, and be comfortable if they gave them the necessary break in.

And I say this because I very often see people selling like-new jackets that they just bought, not because I disagree with you and monitor, and not because I know somehow (how would I?) that these jackets all really did fit their original owners.

I personally love when people sell their like-new Aeros, because it's a great way to get a jacket for around half-off. But it's awfully hard on the pocketbook to do this, so for someone looking for first-time advice buying an aero, my advice is:

1) buy used, and
2) if you do buy something that is in new or like-new condition, give it a real chance. Don't just try it on and say "NOPE! TOO STIFF! NOT COMFORTABLE!" and then discard it. Even if you ultimately were to conclude that it is not a jacket you want to keep, for whatever reason, you'll gain experience and understand the break-in process, and you'll really know whether it is a break-in issue, a fit issue, or a pattern issue.

For people who know fit, know the vintage clothing of the period, and/or have plenty of experience wearing leather jackets, then they very well may be able to assess correctly, and immediately, whether an un-broken Aero will be a good fit for them or not. An inexperienced first-time buyer, very likely would not be able to say confidently, unless the size is way off, particularly the length of the sleeves.

I would guess that most people would feel that a new Aero that is the right size for them is too tight out of the box. But then that depends a lot on which style we're talking about -- as we all have observed, some of Aero's models like the cafe racer are tight fitting jackets, while others such as the Highwayman or Bootlegger are boxy and you can/should size down with those styles.

I'm certainly not telling you or @Monitor that you dudes don't know whether a jacket fits you when you try it on, or if it's a good pattern for you. You obviously do.

For first-time owners, well speaking for myself, I had questions. My first Aero was a Blue Label jacket that was a hybrid Dust Bowl front, Sunburst back, size 42, beautiful jacket, and I returned it. It was brand new, very tight, and I noticed a crack in the top coat that I felt was not acceptable for a $1k jacket. I probably would have kept it if it was a 44.

My second was a 42 Highwayman, bought second hand on eBay, which was just too short on me, I felt like it was a midriff jacket on me, but if I had been wearing high-waisted 50's style pants I might not have thought that. Most of the rest of the jackets I've bought have fit well. (I think I'm close to their standard model size in terms of height/weight, lucky me, so off the rack usually works.)

I've also bought up and down sized jackets that looked really nice, and were at a price I knew I could flip them for and get back my investment if they didn't work out, and that has helped me out a great deal in assessing my true size for a given style in the styles that I've tried from Aero. So I learned that I'm a 40 in a Highwayman or Bootlegger, and can wear a 40 or 42 in a 50's HB, and I'm a 42 or 44 in a CR or BR style. My Wayfarer is a 44, and fits just like it should. My sheenes are 42 (natural), 42 (cordovan), and 44 (black), and all fit perfectly.

The natural Sheene, I bought off the rack this spring, made an offer on a Thurston Bros ebay listing and it got accepted. Received it and was disappointed that the batch of natural CXL it was made from was too light (for my taste), and that the sleeves were 1" too long for me. I went back and forth with Carrie about taking a return (they do not take returns on ebay listings, only exchanges, but it was covid lockdown time and with Aero shut down, I didn't think they could do a remake). I told Carrie I'd wanted it to be my summer 2020 jacket, but if they could do a remake within 6 months, then I'd accept it, otherwise any longer than that, I hoped they'd break policy and accept a return under the circumstances. She promised and 6 months later to the day I had a tracking number, two days later it was at my door, the fit is perfect, and they even found some heavier nat. CXL for mine, which is perhaps the most rigid I've handled so far, but not the thickest, and I'm wearing it as much as possible around the house to break it in, even sleeping in it. I can tell already that once the leather breaks it's going to be a favorite, but I could tell out of the box it was a keeper.

Some of the used Aeros I've bought have been well enough broken in that they are nice and floppy now, and I think they do drape differently, which gives me a picture of what I can expect from the ones that are still stiff, if/when I put enough wear on them.

Despite all this experience, I still can only call myself an enthusiast, not an expert. I'm not Carrie, Holly, Denny, or Ken. But I know a thing or two.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I actually find that the small armholes in my Longshoreman are very restrictive not only in movement but when putting the jacket on. After inserting one arm I then need to stick one arm up into the air and push my arm at a strange angle just to get it through - this actually puts a very strange and uncomfortable stress on my shoulder capsule. Once on, my shoulder movement is greatly restricted and I cannot bring my arms overhead. I have NO IDEA why Aero did this on this custom order when I specifically stated that I have an athletic build and need plenty of room in the shoulder area - but perhaps I should have also told them the exact armhole size. :cool: That armhole size is not going to "break in" - so I am stuck with it.

@JacketAddict That does sound like a fit issue. If it's not too late to do it, I'd ask them for a re-make, and give them whatever dimensions they would need to get it right. The biggest problem I've seen with high arm holes is that they are usually also tight, which means you can't really layer with those designs. They also need to fit more perfectly, because there's way less tolerance for larger/lower arm holes. When they get it right, though, they are very comfortable and you get excellent range of motion, even without an action back or gussets.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I actually find that the small armholes in my Longshoreman are very restrictive not only in movement but when putting the jacket on. After inserting one arm I then need to stick the other arm up into the air and push it through at a 145 degree angle - this actually puts a very strange and uncomfortable stress on my shoulder capsule. Once on, my shoulder movement is greatly restricted and I cannot bring my arms overhead. I have NO IDEA why Aero did this on this custom order when I specifically stated that I have an athletic build and need plenty of room in the shoulder area - but perhaps I should have also told them the exact armhole size. :cool: That armhole size is not going to "break in" - so I am stuck with it.

I 100% agree with Guppy's statement above. If in the US and there is not an option for a remake at Aero - see if Dena at Great Leather could help. Hopefully Aero will get behind you on this one. A Longshoreman is one you need a little reoom in, esp around the armholes.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Hmm, knowing what I know now IMO. I would tell myself "don't do it". $1K+ is an absurdly amount on something like a jacket. It's not a performance car/bike part, nor an alpine expedition parka, or piece of military kit required for survival. Buy a few low price vintage jackets first to dial in your style / fit and then go after a nice vintage piece for a fashion jacket. These originals were built with the purpose of being worn and usually feel / fit great assuming you get the proper size. Versus a modern "reproduction" of a historical style that's main goal is to re-create the look of said vintage jacket. Often at the expense of fit/feel IMO.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess all the feelings and experiences here explain why the black Jerky HH Indian Ranger on the sale page is still
Not sold...

dark wood

One of the Regulars
I’ve had very good luck with Aeros. I own 3 and I’ve got a “custom” Aero on order. All are from Thurston Bros and all are comfortable for motorcycle riding or casual wear. And all three fit me well off the rack. Personally, Aero checks all boxes for me: styles, leather options, wearability, value, lead time, availability. I get it, there are finer jacket makers out there, fancier leathers etc., but I haven't seen any jacket brand I would rather own. So my former self would simply say - “no regrets - keep going.”

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today I wore my Ridley all day and "unfortunately" I have to say that I like the Vicenza the best of all my leathers. Ok, I don't have that much choice and I'm not an expert, but the Vicenza is definitely my recommendation at Aero.
Maybe I should order a CR in natural lol
4E66D0A1-5373-4BBD-B737-101B7936F21A.jpeg

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Here, this is what i mean:

Lv76cYz.jpg

pMdIQPu.jpg

VEQ2zzL.jpg

EX8Hpla.jpg

To me this is a sign of poor neckhole/shoulder design, it rests all the weight of the jacket on the wearer's neck rather than the shoulders.

Some people will say it is a problem with your specific body shape not matching a specific jacket pattern, i don't think that's true, i have seen it happen with far too many different people and far to many different Aero patterns for it to be true.
I think Aero just have a bad neck/shoulder design.

I don't think any of your 5 star jackets have that problem for example.

@Carlos840 I was travelling for the last couple of weeks and wearing my CXL Sheene all along. After 6-7 days, I could feel the weight of the jacket on my neck. Today, I was able to compare this for 5 CXL jackets, two from Schott and 3 Aeros, and there is a marked difference in the weight distribution between both brands. Schott's weights are very well distributed on the shoulders. To clarify, all 3 Aeros are based on the CR pattern, which has broader shoulders. Schott both jackets are size M. I have 2 Sheenes in 38 & 40, and one CR in Size 40. The Sheenes with their highwayman collar seem to dig in more than the CR, but the CR most definitely puts extra weight on the neck vs the Schotts

Mister Rivets

One of the Regulars
OHH great. I just gave a deposit for an aeromarine but am very hesitant to proceed with the jacket. I've been down the custom aero road before with good results, however they did forget a special instruction for a gun p[ocket when I received the jacket I was pretty bummed out could have spend MORE money shipping it back and forth that time but went without the pocket.
My latest custom jacket an aeromarine is just about to start but I may just get the deposit back. I just don't feel confident the jacket will fit. I have gone back and forth for what seems like weeks to start the jacket.
I don't understand why I can't get a shoulder 18" in a size 40 I'm being told its going to be 18.5-19 which throws the sleeve off.
half the aero jackets on this site being showed off have sleeves TOO LONG in my opinion.

OHH great. I just gave a deposit for an aeromarine but am very hesitant to proceed with the jacket. I've been down the custom aero road before with good results, however they did forget a special instruction for a gun p[ocket when I received the jacket I was pretty bummed out could have spend MORE money shipping it back and forth that time but went without the pocket.
My latest custom jacket an aeromarine is just about to start but I may just get the deposit back. I just don't feel confident the jacket will fit. I have gone back and forth for what seems like weeks to start the jacket.
I don't understand why I can't get a shoulder 18" in a size 40 I'm being told its going to be 18.5-19 which throws the sleeve off.
half the aero jackets on this site being showed off have sleeves TOO LONG in my opinion.
Sounds like you might benefit from a fit jacket. If you are in the US I’d go through Thurston Bros. Aeromarine looks to be a HWM w/ a shawl collar. Get a fit jacket HWM so you know what to expect. If that’s not an option you can always measure a jacket with your preferred sleeve length and shoulder width and do the math. Add 1” to shoulder equates to roughly 3/4-1” sleeve length. It’s a bit more of a gamble that way but it’s not impossible to figure out and get close enough to where it won’t matter. Aero allows for 1/2” (as do almost every maker) of play in the measurements. That is why you can’t be assured of an exact number.

Mister Rivets

One of the Regulars
Sounds like you might benefit from a fit jacket. If you are in the US I’d go through Thurston Bros. Aeromarine looks to be a HWM w/ a shawl collar. Get a fit jacket HWM so you know what to expect. If that’s not an option you can always measure a jacket with your preferred sleeve length and shoulder width and do the math. Add 1” to shoulder equates to roughly 3/4-1” sleeve length. It’s a bit more of a gamble that way but it’s not impossible to figure out and get close enough to where it won’t matter. Aero allows for 1/2” (as do almost every maker) of play in the measurements. That is why you can’t be assured of an exact number.
I already contacted aero to stop the order. I'll wait till I see one with my measurements or just go get a mister freedom campus. A 40 in mister freedom is spot on sleeves a bit long but they work

Attachments

• 8XwPgs9DT76X74NctxN%6g.jpg
    8XwPgs9DT76X74NctxN%6g.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,175

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112