Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you tell your former self about ordering a custom Aero?

TropheusDuboisi

New in Town
Hey this my first post here. I've been absorbing the wealth of knowledge this forum has for a couple weeks and I've decided to pull the trigger and go for a custom Aero.

I have a couple fit concerns (I know, talk to Carrie), but if any of you have any words of wisdom on the process, I'd welcome them. What would you tell your former self?

I'm leaning towards about a Maxwell in Redwood Bainbridge. Maybe could be swayed to a Moonshiner but I haven't seen enough pictures to really convince me to take the risk.

Extra details, feel free to skip:
Liner-wise I'm more concerned about durability and aesthetics over warmth since I live in California. Chest 38", waist 30", lean profile, under 30 years. I'm coming from an unlined Schott 582 size small which has some room in the chest yet is still a tad restrictive on range of motion. Concerned about mobility since I ride (a bicycle haha) to work.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I haven't had any regrets about any of the custom Aero jackets I've bought (which is, hmm, two). But I owned several second-hand Aeros before I ordered mine, and I think it helped me to get the size dialed in and determine the exact features I wanted.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
"Don't do it, there are better jackets out there."
I would still buy a used Aero if it had the right measurements for me and was somethign really special, but i would never spend new money on an Aero again.
If you are hoping an Aero will have better range of motion than a Schott you are in for a surprise.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I ordered a custom Aero and sold it swiftly. The issue was the pattern. It did not work for me at all. My advice to myself would be to look more closely at the jacket pattern. Aero is "custom" only to a degree and there is only so much that you can do to a jacket pattern. You need to do your best to make sure the jacket style actually suits you, not just that you like it. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone through Thurston Bros. so I could do a fit jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I ordered a custom Aero and sold it swiftly. The issue was the pattern. It did not work for me at all. My advice to myself would be to look more closely at the jacket pattern. Aero is "custom" only to a degree and there is only so much that you can do to a jacket pattern. You need to do your best to make sure the jacket style actually suits you, not just that you like it. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone through Thurston Bros. so I could do a fit jacket.

That is also my problem with Aero, IMO the patterns are not very good, the jackets are just not very comfortable.
I currently own 4 Aeros, used to have 2 more and have tried many others in various stores, and none of them are what i would call comfortable jackets, because of that i very rarely wear them.
Their main issue is that all the weight of the jacket rests on your neck (which gives me neck/back pain), and they usually have pretty poor forward//upwards reach and mobility.
IMO in the same price range a Schott or a Vanson is a much better jacket.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That is also my problem with Aero, IMO the patterns are not very good, the jackets are just not very comfortable.
I currently own 4 Aeros, used to have 2 more and have tried many others in various stores, and none of them are what i would call comfortable jackets, because of that i very rarely wear them.
Their main issue is that all the weight of the jacket rests on your neck (which gives me neck/back pain), and they usually have pretty poor forward//upwards reach and mobility.
IMO in the same price range a Schott or a Vanson is a much better jacket.
Agreed on the Aero patterns. I don't think they're great. I've tried on other jackets too and had similar issues. My Aero jacket made me appreciate that patterns are not entirely subjective.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I bought a couple of Aero custom jackets and in most cases it turned out that the fit was more loose than I prefer (I sold most of them) and that sleeves a boxier than I prefer (there are also styles available which are less boxy). Overall quality and customer service (I ordered directly at Aero) are very good, that's why I will receive a Type III rust suede goat next week. I can also highly recommend Greg Fields (I received following one this year: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...cket-navy-blue-shinki-hh-red-contrast.100940/) and I'm really happy with the customer service by Greg, I also prefer Shinki HH over Aero's leather portfolio (unless you like heavy CXL) and Gregs stitching quality is definitely better than Aero's. Greg used to work at Aero for 8 years and he recently started his own business. He's also very open for customization like in my case. He also offers to make mock-up jackets. For all these reasons I defnitely recommend to contact Greg Fields as the upcharge compared to Aero is rather low for a IMO better jacket! Again, I still really like Aero and some of their jacket designs but I prefer Greg Fields....if Greg would have had a button hole machine and would have had access to the rust suede goat I would have ordered from him!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised by all the negativity towards Aero in this thread. I guess it's to my benefit, as it could explain why I've been able to score so many Aero jackets second hand in great condition for a bargain price. I think a lot of people seem to be unprepared to break in heavy leather, and give up too soon.

But I'm pretty baffled by the number of comments saying they don't like the patterns. They're vintage replica patterns, sometimes slightly modified, but that's what Aero are known for. Patterns changed over time, probably in no small part due to comfort, so modern jackets fit and feel different when worn, but that's not the fault of Aero. They do what they do very well, which is produce modern homages to classic vintage patterns.

The only thing that I can fault Aero for is that they insist on using smaller zippers on their heavyweight leather jackets, which often leads to issues with longevity.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had 4 jackets from Aero, now 3.
My tips to myself are:
See which pattern suits you.
Think for yourself about the dimensions that the jacket should have.
If the measurements are not feasible for any reason, do without the jacket.
Small armholes are important. If they are too big, it restricts movement.
Think about which leather goes with which cut.

You might laugh, but other than my Aero shearling, my youngest aero is my most comfortable leather jacket. Then there are various goatskin jackets, followed by Field Leather and then the Aero Cafe Racer CXFQHH, which is very cool, but too heavy, too wide and the armholes are too big. And as already mentioned, this jacket hangs on the neck and not on the shoulders. With lighter leather this would be less of a problem.

TropheusDuboisi

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm also a bit surprised given how much positive stuff I've read about Aero on the site. It's great to learn about Greg Fields, but, for better or worse (and hopefully the former) I'm committed to the Aero fit jacket process. From what I've gathered weight and flexibility are things I should watch out for and potentially mitigate via lighter leather / action back.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I’ve had several Aero’s. Some have had the pattern issue that is mentioned with the jacket hanging from the neck instead of the shoulders, some have not had that issue. My Hooch Hauler, Dustbowl and my Grizzly for example are comfortable fitting jackets that does not have that issue.

If I could give myself some advice it would be not to go with CXL. Imo it is too stiff for a jacket, I’ve sold all my cxl jackets except one. I much prefer their Vicenza and their goat and the black steer hide they use on their 58’er highwayman. Haven’t had a jacket in jerky but it looks terrific in pictures.
Another advice would be to go for a pattern that works for your body type. A slim and tall guy? Don’t try to make a boxy pattern work for you, it won’t. If you’re in the US, use Thurston fit jackets. If you’re not, try to get a feel for what works for you by visiting shops stocking Aero or buying second hand on eBay before putting a lot of money on a custom order.

Heavy leather should have zero effect on how constrictive the jacket feels and any jacket that feels uncomfortable and restrictive in 3oz leather would feel exactly the same if it was made in 0.5oz hide.
Breaking in heavy leather is a myth. If you can do this in a full plate metal armor and not in a leather jacket (and I sure as paint couldn't in mine) then there's definitely something wrong with the pattern.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm also a bit surprised given how much positive stuff I've read about Aero on the site. It's great to learn about Greg Fields, but, for better or worse (and hopefully the former) I'm committed to the Aero fit jacket process. From what I've gathered weight and flexibility are things I should watch out for and potentially mitigate via lighter leather / action back.
I don't want to sound negative as I really like Aero and their leather jackets...that's why I keep re-ordering from them but I became more careful regarding pattern, size (chest size), etc. I'm really happy with the ones I own and I would order from Aero again (there is not reason why not). Comparing their Vicenza to Greg Fields Shinki (slightly higher price) there are different worlds, i.e. I much prefer Shinki. Craftmanship (stitching counts) is better compared to Aero but that doesn't mean that Aero isn't on a very high quality level....as long-time TFL members many of us have become picky about leather jacket details. Again, you can't go wrong with Aero and will be happy with the value for money you receive but please be careful regarding the pattern, fit, etc. I'm also sure from what I've heard here, Carrie is the right person to talk to! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ