Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whatever happened to "coat and tie required"?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Lady Jessica said:
I sure hope so! That's MY grad night this year, and I must say, I'm thrilled. I hope they make us dress fancy. :)
When you bought your ticket they should have given you a dress code list. By the way, do you mind if I ask what is the cost this year?

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
When I was growing up we went to the Golden Host Cafeteria in Little Rock almost every Sunday after church in the 60's and early 70's. Everyone dressed nicely and all the men wore suits. Even during the week most of the were suits.

I think the change is illustrated by what the servers wear too.
This cafeteria had servers that carried your tray for you. They wore red jackets with black shawl collars, pressed black pants and white shirts and black bow ties. I saw one of the servers sent home because in came to work in pants that were obviously wrinkled and dirty.

Now it seems that rumbled khakis, t-shirt and an apron are the main uniform of most eating establishments

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm pretty sure a coat and tie standard would just drive people away nowadays. People don't take the time to dress or get ready, so when they leave for the show or dinner they end up at the show or inner wearing the most basic of wears... jeans and t.

Ties aren't seen many times at black tie affairs (It's hollywood, it's upsetting). In fact i've seen people remove their ties to fit in with the crowd at dressy affairs. So Dress codes... I think we will have to be the proactive members on the front of the dress code's reprisal. Clubs at the moment are afraid they will lose customers if they have to turn anyone away, so it's better now to setup singular events that require such attire.

We're having my graduation party June 13th, and I told my parents that I would like everyone to dress nicely, not necessarily coat and tie, but I'd settle for a shirt with a collar on it and some nice jeans with no holes in them. And they told me no way. They listed it as Very Casual *shudders*

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Grad Night is seventy-five dollars this year, and I'd tell you if it was formal, but I haven't bought my ticket yet.

I'll be sad if we don't have to dress fancy. I want to wear heels and then at 3 am take them off and run barefoot across New Orleans Square... until a security guard catches me, anyway. ;)

And I think I agree, Matt. turning away people could lose clubs serious money... although I have to say, if the club was especially amazing, people would adhere to dress codes. If the place has a great reputation and such, people will bend. Not to mention, most people I know like dressing better. They feel prettier (or more handsome) and more confident, I believe.

AtomicEraTom, I'm not having a graduation party. I'm doing the walk, and then grad night, and then I'm done! Yay! Well, then I'll go to college, but not right after. But I don't want a party, partly because parties make me awkward, I'm not sure what to do with myself, and partly because I don't have enough people to invite. But I'm going to a fifties murder mystery party before graduation... Apparently I'll be having a good part, and my friend Matt is very excited I have proper fifties attire.

Ugh, the walk. I have to do that too and am not looking forward to it at all....

My party I am very excited about. All my family is making the trek from the Greater M'waukee area to come to Portage. Also, I've got about 45 of my friends coming, at least. Unfortunately no booze for them, but I'll be enjoying Pabst Blue Ribbon at a rapid rate. Hopefully I don't do nothin stupid in front of my family!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Lady Jessica said:
Grad Night is seventy-five dollars this year, and I'd tell you if it was formal, but I haven't bought my ticket yet.

I'll be sad if we don't have to dress fancy. I want to wear heels and then at 3 am take them off and run barefoot across New Orleans Square... until a security guard catches me, anyway. ;) .

You'll have fun. Grad Night 1987 was $120 including a roundtrip flight from Oakland to Burbank, get on a bus, drive to Disneyland, stay until 5 a.m. get on bus to LAX then fly back to Oakland.

We had lots of fun on Grad Night. I can't post what happened while we were in line at Space Mountain ;) and I sure can't post what we did at the Haunted Mansion.lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Dixie_Amazon said:
I think the change is illustrated by what the servers wear too.
This cafeteria had servers that carried your tray for you. They wore red jackets with black shawl collars, pressed black pants and white shirts and black bow ties. I saw one of the servers sent home because in came to work in pants that were obviously wrinkled and dirty.

Now it seems that rumbled khakis, t-shirt and an apron are the main uniform of most eating establishments

At the theatre where I work, we have what passes by today's standard for a strict and rigorous dress code for concession staff -- white blouse/shirt, black pants/skirt, and proper shoes. For concerts, they top that off with a red vest. I encourage the boys to wear ties with the shirt and vest, but most of them look at me like I have three heads when I mention such. With only the occasional exception they've never worn a tie in their lives and wouldn't know how to wear one if you handed it to them. So I don't press the issue.

The girls are usually pretty good about following the rules, but they usually bring their work clothes in with them in a backpack rather than be seen on the street in such bland attire. Although we did have one gal who liked the red vest so much she took hers home and would wear it to school now and then. And I don't think she was being ironic.

I would dearly like to reinstitute the dress code that prevailed here in the thirties -- uniforms which included red mess jackets with shiny brass buttons and bellhop caps. It'd never work though -- the caps had no visors, so the kids wouldn't be able to figure out how to wear them backward.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
You'll have fun. Grad Night 1987 was $120 including a roundtrip flight from Oakland to Burbank, get on a bus drive to Disneyland, stay until 5 a.m. get on bus to LAX then fly back to Oakland.

We had lots of fun on Grad Night. I can't post what happened while we were in line at Space Mountain ;) and I sure can't post what we did at the Haunted Mansion.lol

Oh so you were one of those! :p There's a whole section on THAT in my book 'Mouse Tales'. I'm an innocent child! There'll be none of that! From me, anyway. I'm sure others....

Oh, and it's only seventy-five because we live very close... two hour bus ride.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
There's a reason why they have dress codes at Grad Night. The theory is that you'll behave. :D

$75 isn't bad at all. We got there around 7 p.m. They kept us in Tomorrowland, where we had dinner, until 9 p.m. then the rest of the park was opened to us. The Southern Cal kids started coming after 10 p.m. I forgot which bands played that night.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Oh gosh, I'm so excited! As a freshman I wanted to start a petition for Gradnight at Disneyland, and everyone liked the idea, but I never got it into motion. Through a string of events, they just last week changed it from some dining place to Disneyland. The senior class jumped around and chanted 'Disneyland! Disneyland!' like two year olds. lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Lady Jessica said:

I'll be sad if we don't have to dress fancy. I want to wear heels and then at 3 am take them off and run barefoot across New Orleans Square... until a security guard catches me, anyway. ;)

When I went to Grad Night at Disneyland, many moons ago, we boys wore our suits, the ones we wore under our gowns; it was required.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
At the theatre where I work, we have what passes by today's standard for a strict and rigorous dress code for concession staff -- white blouse/shirt, black pants/skirt, and proper shoes. For concerts, they top that off with a red vest. I encourage the boys to wear ties with the shirt and vest, but most of them look at me like I have three heads when I mention such. With only the occasional exception they've never worn a tie in their lives and wouldn't know how to wear one if you handed it to them. So I don't press the issue.

I worked at a hotel throughout my high school years and we wore black pants and shoes, black vests with a white long sleeved shirt. This was topped off with a black tuxedo-type bow tie. It looked good and I believe it helped my tips from guests! I haven't seen uniforms in hotels or restaurants that were more than polo shirts in a long, long time. I miss that!

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Oh, and about the behavior at Grad Night thing...Well, I know why they had to close Adventure Thru Innerspace and I definitely know that they had to shut down Haunted Mansion for similar reasons.

I doubt they'll mind me sprinting barefoot across New Orleans Sqaure when they have bigger problems. ;) :p

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember one idiot thought he was going to be only guy to be let in wearing a sweater but no sport coat. They refused to let him in, so one of the chaperone's who had to wait at the bus let the guy wear his sport coat. The chaperone's just talked in the parking lot anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy