Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whatever happened to "coat and tie required"?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Do any restaurants still have dress codes any more?

I remember as a young kid going out with my folks to restaurants, and a good many of them were "coat and tie required" places. Now days we're lucky to find "shirt and shoes required"

I enjoy causal dining as much as the next guy, but it sort of lessens the experience of having a $40 steak, when seated at the next table are people in t-shirts, flip-flops, and a ball cap (which they don't even bother to remove during the meal), and it's all viewed a perfectly acceptable - which it may be at a beach-side burger joint. But I'm talking four star restaurants here.

I eat at some pretty fancy (read expensive) places, and none that I know of enforce a dress code beyond "shirt and shoes required". What has society come to?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
No places that I've been to ever had any kind of dress-code. If they did, the closest I ever saw was "smart casual". Which translates to - "no jeans, no shorts, no flipflops, no T-shirts and nothing with logos on it".

Even the most expensive hotels and restaurants in town don't have them...dress-codes, I mean. I think its closely related to the fact that these days, you'd be lucky to find the average man wearing a suit in everyday life.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Atheneum Hotel

Even the old Atheneum Hotel in Chautauqua Institution (1882) no longer requires jackets and ties from gentlemen. I will never not wear a jacket and tie there, ever ever ever.
Atheneum.jpg

DinnerattheAtheneum.jpg

Cricket

Practically Family
There are no strict dress codes where I live. However, when my husband and I go to eat at a nice restaurant we tend to dress nice. It adds to the experience, and I agree, If I am paying for a nice meal, I plan to look the part.

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.grandhotel.com/maindiningroom.html
http://www.grandhotel.com/

Gentlemen still have to dress here. The one hotel I want to go to one day though the one you post dhermann1 is gorgeous also.

The Grand Hotel is the one Jane Seymour pranced around in Somewhere in Time.

Evening Attire

The Grand Hotel experience includes dressing for dinner. Evening wear is required in all areas of the hotel: coat and tie for gentlemen, and dresses or pantsuits for ladies.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm guessing the Ritz Hotel in London has a smart dress code (if you can afford it).

And at Lords Cricket Ground to enter the Pavillion a tie and jacket are required. My father was denied entrance once for only having a shirt and tie with no jacket. Not a restaurant, but at least it has a proper dress code.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Town clubs still have dress codes. You'll have to join one, I guess. [huh]

I think the University Club in Denver requires a coat and tie. You have to be a member or a guest, though.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Even Claridges in London...:(

When I met Edward for cocktails in the Cigar Bar of Claridges, there were people milling about in open shirts and jeans [huh]

I honestly thought that 'Claridges' of all places would have a strict dress code, but then again, it's the colour of your money they want to see, not the cut of your suit and tie (anymore..alas).

But, as Marc C. pointed out, many of the Gentleman's Clubs still have a jacket and tie code and the one I go to when I'm in my home town definitely does - long may it continue.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Shangas said:
the closest I ever saw was "smart casual". Which translates to - "no jeans, no shorts, no flipflops, no T-shirts and nothing with logos on it".

Someone of authority on here should post a concise primer on the different levels of American dress code: casual, semi-casual, smart casual, business casual, business informal, informal, semi-formal, formal, etc. It'd be an interesting read, and would make a great sticky.

(if this has been covered before, please point me to it)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The only problem is that it varies from place to place and with socioeconomic levels. If you want to fit in, the best thing to do is ask the host or restaurant manager what most people wear.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Crunk said:
Someone of authority on here should post a concise primer on the different levels of American dress code: casual, semi-casual, smart casual, business casual, business informal, informal, semi-formal, formal, etc. It'd be an interesting read, and would make a great sticky.

(if this has been covered before, please point me to it)

No small request, that.

Below is the (2005) dress code of the Jonathan Club, one of Los Angeles's most prestigious business/town clubs.

jclub3.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
When I met Edward for cocktails in the Cigar Bar of Claridges, there were people milling about in open shirts and jeans [huh]

I honestly thought that 'Claridges' of all places would have a strict dress code, but then again, it's the colour of your money they want to see, not the cut of your suit and tie (anymore..alas).

Well when I took my boyfriend to Claridge's for Afternoon Tea last week, he did, I admit, wear jeans and an open shirt. But A. this was tea not dinner and b. in his very well cut clothes he always looks impeccably smart. However, halfway through our tea, he discovered extremely fresh gum stuck to his leg, from underneath the table. IMO, that speaks volumes more about the bad-mannered people that go to these sorts of places now than people's choce of outfit.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For example the '21' Club is very explicit:

Attire/Dress Code

Bar Room, Upstairs at '21', Cocktail Lounge & Wine Cellar: Jeans and sneakers are not permitted. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen with ties preferred at dinner.

It truly enhances the experience. The ambiance and the way you are treated. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I cook all the time at home so... don't like to eat out much at all.. I feel another empanada attack coming, in fact

A dress code makes it all worth it.
icon14.gif

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of gum (OT)

Fleur De Guerre said:
Well when I took my boyfriend to Claridge's for Afternoon Tea last week, he did, I admit, wear jeans and an open shirt. But A. this was tea not dinner and b. in his very well cut clothes he always looks impeccably smart. However, halfway through our tea, he discovered extremely fresh gum stuck to his leg, from underneath the table. IMO, that speaks volumes more about the bad-mannered people that go to these sorts of places now than people's choce of outfit.
My mother acquired a pair of seats from the old Metropolitan Opera House when it was torn down in 1966. When she received them, she discovered a wad of gum, (it looked like Dentine), stuck to the bottom of the seat. This was 43 years ago, and it was a Metropolitan Opera House seat. [huh]
Shows to go you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy