Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Okay, after trying several stores yesterday (I did a hard search) - and learning that Krispy Kreme makes a bunch of non-donut and donut stuff it sells in packages in grocery / convenience stores - I never found the glazed lemon pie, but I did find the cherry version. This one ⇩
View attachment 174079

My first surprise when I opened it was that the pie in the box wasn't wrapped in anything (a plastic envelope or something); it was just sitting loose inside the cardboard box. The box appeared to be very securely factory sealed, but this is how it slid out of the box:
View attachment 174080
⇧ That's odd - no?

And the inside ⇩
View attachment 174082
As to taste, it's respectable for a store-bought boxed item - sweet but decent cherry flavor and the glaze kinda works.

It's comparable to the old Drake's pies that used to come in the wax sleeves (usually from a vending machine) that I had as a kid back in the '70s and, then, that were a major part of my diet all through college.
You know, this thing ⇩
View attachment 174081
Tried the cherry pie yesterday and was slightly disappointed. The flavor was good, but I would have definitely liked more fruit in it. Next to the cherry, they had a display of peach. I was almost tempted, but I'm not a big peach pie fan. I like the fruit by itself and in a cobbler, but not pie.

This morning was a late breakfast of leftover Fettuccine Alfredo

Tried the cherry pie yesterday and was slightly disappointed. The flavor was good, but I would have definitely liked more fruit in it. Next to the cherry, they had a display of peach. I was almost tempted, but I'm not a big peach pie fan. I like the fruit by itself and in a cobbler, but not pie.

This morning was a late breakfast of leftover Fettuccine Alfredo

Funny, my girlfriend had our leftover pasta for breakfast this morning too.

So our Krispy Kreme pie plot thickens.

I was out this morning on the hunt for the Krispy Kreme lemon and chocolate pies (I do important things in my life) and found these in a 7-11:
IMG_5663.JPG
They also had cherry and apple versions.

I have to believe they are made by the same bakery that makes Krispy Kreme's - they look and are boxed the same (haven't tasted them yet).

These are the KK ones:
166526-16317b3a343f31b902ce5dbe0429a3a8-2.jpg 166885-32f80f8dce8229dc9d8d83344380905f-2.jpg

So, the question is does KK make them for 7-11 or does some institutional wholesale bakery make them for both KK and 7-11?

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Funny, my girlfriend had our leftover pasta for breakfast this morning too.

So our Krispy Kreme pie plot thickens.

I was out this morning on the hunt for the Krispy Kreme lemon and chocolate pies (I do important things in my life) and found these in a 7-11:
View attachment 174655
They also had cherry and apple versions.

I have to believe they are made by the same bakery that makes Krispy Kreme's - they look and are boxed the same (haven't tasted them yet).

These are the KK ones:
View attachment 174656 View attachment 174657

So, the question is does KK make them for 7-11 or does some institutional wholesale bakery make them for both KK and 7-11?
hmmm....I think a walk to the 7-11 when get home today may be in order. If they have them, I'll be forced to do research :) I'll report back!

And the promised report out:
IMG_5663.JPG

The chocolate one was awful as the chocolate filling had no taste - It was like eating pudding without flavor

I liked the lemon one - the lemon filling was sweet, but with a touch of tartness and the pastry actually had some flake to it (but was a bit doughy too).

For store-bought boxed product, I'd give the lemon one a B and would have it again (but the chocolate one gets a D).

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I was just coming on to give my report, too! I tried the lemon and the cherry. The lemon wasn't bad. I liked that the filling had a slightly tart taste to it and wasn't overly sweet, but I didn't care for the texture all that well. I much prefer the texture of the KK pie. That being said, I give it a B as I would eat it again. The cherry one was disappointing. It was the taste and texture of canned cherry pie filling and no cherries. I give it a C as it was edible, just no fruit.

Though I haven't had Hostess pies in quite sometime, I'm wondering if they are the company making the 7-11 pies. The quality wasn't really up to the KK ones that I've had. In addition to the lemon and cherry, my 7-11 also had chocolate, peach, apple, and coconut cream.

I was just coming on to give my report, too! I tried the lemon and the cherry. The lemon wasn't bad. I liked that the filling had a slightly tart taste to it and wasn't overly sweet, but I didn't care for the texture all that well. I much prefer the texture of the KK pie. That being said, I give it a B as I would eat it again. The cherry one was disappointing. It was the taste and texture of canned cherry pie filling and no cherries. I give it a C as it was edible, just no fruit.

Though I haven't had Hostess pies in quite sometime, I'm wondering if they are the company making the 7-11 pies. The quality wasn't really up to the KK ones that I've had. In addition to the lemon and cherry, my 7-11 also had chocolate, peach, apple, and coconut cream.

Coconut cream you say - hmm.

I'm wondering if all these pies aren't made in the same bakery and, maybe, just tweaked a bit to give each one some distinction. Otherwise, they are surprisingly similar in shape, look and packaging.

Thinking about it some more - cause that's what I do - none of them are rush-out-and-get-again pies, but I'd probably get the fruit ones again if I'm in the store, happen to see them and am so inclined at that moment.

The best package pies I've had are still Entenmann's - I particularly like its coconut custard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk