Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT'S FOR DESSERT/PUDDING?

rumblefish

One Too Many
Either with coffee and a tipple, milk or tea.

Now that summer is gone I look forward to two of my favorites; Treacle Tarts and Plum Pudding.

What ends your meal?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Well, we usually don't have dessert - but for the holidays we had a stir up yesterday and put up two Christmas puddings! Hopefully, they will be very good when we finally get to eat them!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Chris, Christmas time is fast approaching so it's nearly Chrissie Pud time with brandy butter of course. My dear old granny made the very best brandy butter albeit very boozy, good stuff. There's always trifle as well for Christmas dinner which can't be beat.

We don't have puddings that much. My Mum used to make them very often when I was a nipper, so I have a soft spot for steamed puds like Boiled Baby and Spotted Dick.

A friend made us Crème Brûlée when we went to her's for dinner the other night. That's always a goodie as well but I have a weakness for anything with custard in it.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Puddings are a lot of work. I will say that! And they made a lot more sense back in the days when stoves also worked as a heating unit for the home!! It seems silly to run your stove all day steaming puddings!

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Being English anything that is steamed,treacle being near the top of the list also any fruit pie or crumble with vanilla ice cream the hot and cold vibe takes some beating.Chocolate puds are overrated.:)

just_me

Practically Family
I love bread pudding. Never made it, but I've eaten a lot of it. lol

BTW, I think New Orleans is the bread pudding capital of the world.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
just_me said:
I love bread pudding. Never made it, but I've eaten a lot of it. lol

BTW, I think New Orleans is the bread pudding capital of the world.
The Roux brothers say it is the classic British dish just as an aside Leamington spa is the world capital of bread pudding

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
While I would say that, to most, pudding of the bread persuasion is quintessentially British Isle - it is also a very personal dish and some may even say that their kitchen is the world capital!!!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs. Merl said:
Puddings are a lot of work. I will say that!

They certainly are, but I have made at least one every Christmas for about 20 years. I met my wife, who is English, about six years ago and between the puddings, my homemade lemon curd, and my ability to brew proper tea, she promptly claimed me! Hard work pays off!!!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Yum! Lemon curd! I loooove lemon curd! Which reminds me I should make some! (I hope our pudding turns out! It is our first Christmas pudding. I have made other type of traditional pudding - but not this kind.) How do you brew your tea? I have been told I brew mine proper British style - but I would love to hear if I am not doing it right!

Mr. Paladin

Yes Maam! We just made a batch last night using lemons we grew ourselves on a small potted tree we keep outdoors on the patio. The yield is small, 7-9 lemons but they are much bigger than storebought.

I brew tea in a clay based pot, never ceramic, using water at a rolling boil and a pre-warmed pot. The quantity varies with the style; fannings get a short quick infusion with a smaller quantity than BOP or full leaf. Timing also varies depending on the size of the tea; fannings get a much shorter infusion than a full leaf black, while an oolong gets about the same as the black. The teaball question is the quandry. If the tea is only for one or two and will sit a while, I use a large teaball to ensure proper leaf expansion and infusion. If it is for a large number of people or the pot is smaller, tea should be placed loose in the pot to promote the best infusion then strained as poured. The teaball prevents that bane of tea-drinking-stewed tea but should be avoided if possible. Flavored tea (except for Lapsang which is actually scented by smoking if properly manufactured) is absolutely verboten! I take mine black with no sugar while my wife has a bit of milk (but no sugar) with most varieties.

When we visit her parents in England, her mother dubs me the official tea maker and I do the honors for the three or four weeks we are there (except she retains the right to "be mum"!). I guess I must do something right.

Sorry to rabbit on, but baking and tea have been two of my non-work related hobbies for years. Great stress relievers...along with scotch!lol

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I do tea very similarly! That makes me feel better! I am looking for an appropriate pot for my initial brewing - because I often have fancy teas and would like to strain my tea into lovely china tea pots for presentation. I prefer to brew tea without the tea ball and always stain (usually just into the cups.) And we only have milk with our black tea. Though I do keep herbals for times when someone is sick - but those are tea bags and are done in cup! Black tea is preferably loose and brewed "properly!" Though because of the morning rush we often use black tea bags to at least get the idea of tea to start the day (but NOT Lipton echy!) Thank you for the insight!!

That is incredible about making your lemon curd form your own lemons!! I had thought about acquiring a lemon "tree" and trying it indoors here - but I still think I keep the house too cool for that even. But that is great that yours was pretty well - entirely - homemade!!

Thank you for your enthusiasm - I love baking, tea (and scotch!) - so I though it was great!!

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Watched Nigella"s christmas show on TV last night were she made, quote the 1950"s American classic girdle buster pie.Crushed biscuit base filled with coffee ice cream topped off with butterscotch,looked like a winner:D

Imahomer

Practically Family
I love:

1. Tapioca pudding.
2. Rice pudding with lemon sauce.
3. Bread pudding made with sour dough french bread.

YUUUMMMMMY!!!! :p

Mike in Seattle

We did a steamed pudding for Christmas a few years ago (Williams-Sonoma recipe) and I thought it was quite easy, and really good. We had a big Christmas dinner that year - including crackers (of the pull-apart wth goodies & paper hat variety and not of the saltine variety) and prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. The whole nine yards with warming the rum, dimming the lights and igniting before carrying it into the dining room. It went over big, and seems like every Christmas & Thanksgiving since, we hear "The pie's great, but remember that year you did plum pudding for Christmas?" I'm thinking I might trot that out again this year.

THe Conductor

One of the Regulars
Last Night I made a hot strawberry sundae. Marinate strawberrys in rum for an hour, boil honey, orange rind, and lemon juice, remove the orange rind and mix with strawberrys. Serve over vanilla ice cream.

Tonight I'll be making La Fonda pudding. Anyhting with graham crackers has to be good, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails