Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Justin B

One Too Many
Oh my...made jumbalaya. It's...spicy...

And tasty.

1234087_10201795111179089_1055929997_n.jpg

Last edited:

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Youngest daughter turned 9 today. She requested steak bites, Alfredo noodles, and cheesey green beans, so that's what we had. With red velvet cupcakes and birthday cake ice cream for dessert.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Pineapple Smash, Italian Salad, Vichyssoise, Jellied Chicken, Neopolitan Ice Cream, Nuts, Demitasse.

Today was hot, and tonight's dinner came out of the General Electric Refrigerator Recepies and Menus cookbook of 1927.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Pineapple Smash? Where do you find demitasse? Then again, I have never looked for it....:p
Pineapple Smash is made of crushed Pineapple, lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime) Mint leaves (some "moderns" use cilantro) and simple syrup. Refrigerate in the ice-cube trays until slushy, serve in Iced Tea glasses garnished with mint leaves. I'm told that some "fast" folks add synthetic Gin or Rum to the mixture. I have no doubt that this addition would be pleasant, but mine is strictly the Temperance version.

Demitasse is but strong coffee served in an half-sized cup. Just enough to revive flagging energies after supper, but not enough to interfere too much with bed-time. Unless one drinks three, as did I this evening.

Last edited:
Pineapple Smash is made of crushed Pineapple, lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime) Mint leaves (some "moderns" use cilantro) and simple syrup. Refrigerate in the ice-cube trays until slushy, serve in Iced Tea glasses garnished with mint leaves. I'm told that some "fast" folks add synthetic Gin or Rum to the mixture. I have no doubt that this addition would be pleasant, but mine is strictly the Temperance version.

Demitasse is but strong coffee served in an half-sized cup. Just enough to revive flagging energies after supper, but not enough to interfere too much with bed-time. Unless one drinks three, as did I this evening.

I would use some J. Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum if it were me. :p

I know what Demitasse is but I was curious what brand you used and where you got it.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I would use some J. Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum if it were me. :p

I know what Demitasse is but I was curious what brand you used and where you got it.

I simply use the coffee that I keep in my old Arcade "Crystal" grinder (Van Rooy Coffee Company's famous Hotel Blend, one of the few surviving commercially produced blends in the American 1920's style, very different from the flabby post-war "American Coffee") but brew it up STRONG, using 1/4 cup coffee and a dash of cardamom to 3/4 cup water in the Silex. I take mine with a twist of lemon, but the Better Half prefers cream and sugar.

I simply use the coffee that I keep in my old Arcade "Crystal" grinder (Van Rooy Coffee Company's famous Hotel Blend, one of the few surviving commercially produced blends in the American 1920's style, very different from the flabby post-war "American Coffee") but brew it up STRONG, using 1/4 cup coffee and a dash of cardamom to 3/4 cup water in the Silex. I take mine with a twist of lemon, but the Better Half prefers cream and sugar.

Interesting. That is about how I make my regular coffee---cream and sugar for me too. lol lol No wonder my friend referred to my coffee as embalming fluid. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran