Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's On Your Vanity Table?....

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Me, too, Texasgirl,
This is my makeshift vanity in a cheapie armoir. The lower half that is covered with fabric are a couple of shelves with my sewing machine and other sewing supplies stored there. Our bedroom is too small for a "real" vanity, but when my boys finally move out of their room, we're going to take that room over because its a little bit bigger and hubby says I can have real Art Deco bedroom complete with a vanity! Yeah! Its the best I can do living in a 950 sq. ft. 2-bedroom home. I've got one son in the Air Force and the other one says he'll be looking for his own place next year.
In the meantime, I'm making the best of my little boudouir space!

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
I have a big square mirror that is recessed so you get a shelf with it too. On there I have all my perfumes, my little eiffel tower and Parisian china pictures and Hair flowers. On my drawer unit ( makeshift dressing table) I have my retro lamp, my kitsch religious tins, a GIANT Nick and Nora Make up bag. All that wall is covered in pictures of old Hollywood actresses. :)

Everything else is stowed away in the drawers!

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
This thread has been so inspirational! I wish I had my own pictures to show, but unfortunately I haven't really got a collection of vanity items going yet. I am afraid that the best I could do is a vintage container of Coty face powder. :( I am on the hunt now though!

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
VanillaT said:
This thread has been so inspirational! I wish I had my own pictures to show, but unfortunately I haven't really got a collection of vanity items going yet. I am afraid that the best I could do is a vintage container of Coty face powder. :( I am on the hunt now though!

It's true, there are some beautiful pieces here. Lucky ladies all :)

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Thanks...After looking at all the vintage vanities, I feel compelled to redo my mine :D. I don't get ready there, so there is no prefume, cosmetics, or the like. That is all confined to the bathroom hidden away under the sink. On my vanity is my bakelite bangels in various containers, small jewery cases for earings, pins, etc. I love the vanity sets and have been waiting for a nice set to turn up at a local flea market. When I see ones that I LOVE at antique shops, they are out of my price range.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
penny,
I'm the only female in my household, so I really needed a space to call my own--even if it is inside an armoir. There's just something special about sitting down in front of your own vanity "space" and glamming it up. I've done my makeup for years in front of the bathroom mirror, but I never felt as special as I do when I sit down with all my feminine 'frou-frous'. :D

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
My Vanity is Heywood Wakefield Encore stamped 1955. As I am mostly into the fifties thats what on my vanity. Although I am looking for a 40's vanity set. I have quite a mish mash going on. The pink and black box which I use for jewelry is a chocolate box. These were available in the 50's in Australia in several colours and filled with chocolates but I've never seen another pink and black one. It a type of plastic. I don't do my hair or make up at my vanity, just put stuff on it..........

000_1821.jpg

000_2145.jpg
000_2146.jpg

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
True...

BonnieJean said:
penny,
I'm the only female in my household, so I really needed a space to call my own--even if it is inside an armoir. There's just something special about sitting down in front of your own vanity "space" and glamming it up. I've done my makeup for years in front of the bathroom mirror, but I never felt as special as I do when I sit down with all my feminine 'frou-frous'. :D

Part of my problem is that my hubby and I keep VERY different hours when he works...contract work...night shift. He gets home as I'm getting up. therefore, getting primped in the boudior doesn't work. If we are ever on the same schedule, I may move from the bathroom to the vanity. There was a time when I did get ready there...I have the vintage lighted makeup mirror and all. Oh well, someday.:D

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
goldwyn girl said:
My Vanity is Heywood Wakefield Encore stamped 1955. As I am mostly into the fifties thats what on my vanity. Although I am looking for a 40's vanity set. I have quite a mish mash going on. The pink and black box which I use for jewelry is a chocolate box. These were available in the 50's in Australia in several colours and filled with chocolates but I've never seen another pink and black one. It a type of plastic. I don't do my hair or make up at my vanity, just put stuff on it..........

000_1821.jpg

000_2145.jpg
000_2146.jpg

That's an adorable jewellery box, Goldwyn Girl. And I love that Captain Jack Sparrow has his own place there. ;)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I was in a vintage clothing store a few weeks ago and they had what looked like a small table top vanity or very large jewelery box. It had a few small drawers and a folding triptych mirror. It was completely mirrored. I am looking for something similar as I have no room for a vanity. Does anyone know what something like that is called? The one at the clothing store wasn't for sale.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
I was in a vintage clothing store a few weeks ago and they had what looked like a small table top vanity or very large jewelery box. It had a few small drawers and a folding triptych mirror. It was completely mirrored. I am looking for something similar as I have no room for a vanity. Does anyone know what something like that is called? The one at the clothing store wasn't for sale.

You mean a jewelry armoire?
JL950428.jpg

POWELL-811-314-L.jpg

0900631b811db600M.jpg

402h.jpg

I saw a smaller one at CVS for around $30, they usually run $75-$100. I want one too.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
It probably was. It was a bit smaller than those but that's a great place for me to start. The one I saw was all mirrored. I've never seen anything like it before. It was kind of a portable vanity.

Thanks

Josephine

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
You mean a jewelry armoire?
JL950428.jpg

I have a similar model by this maker and I WOULD NOT recommend it. We had to get three of the mirrored tops as they weren't packaged well and on all three an edge was smashed (we finally gave up returning them and kept the third smashed one) and the drawers are on runners that aren't wide enough so they sometimes slip down. Hubby bought it for me as a surprise (god love him) and in general I'm glad to have it, but I would have preferred to pick one out myself and not by these people! :(

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
this is my vanity top... it's 30s birdseye maple. There was a vintage ticket stub for the observation deck of the Empire State Building in one of the drawers when I bought it!
47b8df32b3127cceb3e395eb211200000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

47b8df32b3127cceb3e39576a0bf00000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy