Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's On Your Vanity Table?....

lillielil

Familiar Face
I have this thing from Target. I used to have the matching stool, but two of the legs broke off (that's what I get for scooting it on the carpet). It doesn't hold a lot.

What's in it: workday makeup (the fun stuff doesn't all fit, so it lives in a dresser in the living room - oh the joys of two girly girls sharing a tiny apartment), random bobby pins (they're everywhere).
What's on it: lots of perfume, a vase with our dried wedding bouquets, a magnifying mirror, jewelery boxes, a mug full of makeup brushes
On the mirror: Vintage nudie pics, a pretty rosary draped over the top.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Once I get mine out of storage it will have a metal art deco brush,mirror and trey. A vintage peach celluloid brush. I don't use brushes so they are just for show. I want to get a lippe stick holder and I'll keep my compact there.

lillielil said:
I have this thing from Target. I used to have the matching stool, but two of the legs broke off (that's what I get for scooting it on the carpet). It doesn't hold a lot.

What's in it: workday makeup (the fun stuff doesn't all fit, so it lives in a dresser in the living room - oh the joys of two girly girls sharing a tiny apartment), random bobby pins (they're everywhere).
What's on it: lots of perfume, a vase with our dried wedding bouquets, a magnifying mirror, jewelery boxes, a mug full of makeup brushes
On the mirror: Vintage nudie pics, a pretty rosary draped over the top.

Mine is a similar style table but is vintage and belonged to my Grandmother. It only has two small drawers that stick a lot so I don't keep to much in them. My goal is to make a vanity skirt for it when I redecorate my bedroom.
I keep my makeup and perfume on it and I have a pair of vintage vanity lamps.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
positivelypinup said:
I dont really have a vintage vanity but it sorta looks like it...but i have make up hair pins, lotion, and earing stand on mine. its cute. Ive been dying for a vintage one that has a large circular mirror. My goal in life is to get one.
Keep looking. Circular mirrors are the way to go. I got mine as part of a suite, and the whole shebang only cost me about $575. They're out there, under your nose. Try Craigslist; I see a lot of Deco-style furniture on there. Not to mention the fun to be had Antiquing in general...

pin_up_pixie

New in Town
I have two drawers for evening/fun make up, one for earrings, and one for bracelets. On top I have my antique hand mirror, a make up caddie for everyday stuff, make up brushes, jewelry box, and two small "decoration figures'.

BTW, my antique phone is on my nightstand...the cord wouldn't reach the vanity. LOL.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Grandma vanity

Um. I have all the regular stuff in mine. One exception - there is an entire drawer devoted to my dog Peefee's attire. Raincoats, booties, polos, sweaters... Yup - I dress my dog and I'm proud of it.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Can't Peefee have her own vanity? Little doggie sized one, little lamps, storage for clothing & accessories, brushes etc... How cute would that be?! :D

The Shirt

Practically Family
I am pretty handy with the table saw - perhaps I can create his own little vanity! I do often catch him gazing at himself in the mirror. I think it's that he want's to fix his mohawk though.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
I am pretty handy with the table saw - perhaps I can create his own little vanity! I do often catch him gazing at himself in the mirror. I think it's that he want's to fix his mohawk though.

:eek:fftopic: WHat kind of dog is peefee? And by the way, that is the cutest name for a dog EVER! hahah... so cute. Ok, resume topic.

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Keep looking. Circular mirrors are the way to go. I got mine as part of a suite, and the whole shebang only cost me about $575. They're out there, under your nose. Try Craigslist; I see a lot of Deco-style furniture on there. Not to mention the fun to be had Antiquing in general...

Yeah, two years ago there was a store that had about 10 of them, and they were all $100... but i didnt have ANY money. It still breaks my heart. I know I'll find one though.

The Shirt

Practically Family
DSC00633.jpg

I'm a handsome little brussels griffon, aren't I? (I'm just huge today as well!)

Back on topic - I definitely see the 40s waterfall vanities all the time on craigslist. Sometimes they are absurdly priced but I've seen them as low as $50. Good luck PositivelyPinup.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
positivelypinup said:
Yeah, two years ago there was a store that had about 10 of them, and they were all $100... but i didnt have ANY money. It still breaks my heart. I know I'll find one though.
If it all possible, get a whole set. (If you want an entire set, that is.) I started out looking for just a vanity, but I held out for the suite, and I'm much happier for it. It's nice to have everything match.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
PEEFEE IS SUCH A CUTIE! I want to kiss him! *smooch* Of course he should have his own wardrobe, vanity, and everything else his little heart desires :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Six drawers

and all full...
I really need to cull the makeup drawer, it is up to the top now. I keep the brushes and such in a jar on the top surface, but all the real makeup in the drawer. Another drawer just for nails, one for the hair combs, brushes, barrettes, backup bobby pins in various boxes (there are two pin caddies on the top too), one drawer has cans of hairspray, wave setting clamps, hairnets, snoods, fake hair, and the bottom two drawers seems to accumulate...crap.
I can't see keeping the cold cream and such here, as I always use it at the sink...thank goodness I have a big cupboard in the bathroom.
And the top always seems to grow more little boxes of stuff...
other items on top that are essential, a standing mirror for closeup work (doubles as a see-the-back-of-head mirror), wedding photo, flower vase, alarm clock (if it's next to the bed I snooze it forever, I have to get out of bed to wake up), and lamps! Must have strong light!
Here's the table on a neat day, still way too cluttered.

l_e684ca28cc074c89dc44974022e8da1b.jpg

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I recently got a beautiful 1930s Art Deco Waterfall vanity with large round mirror. I love it.

I keep on top:

1940s college pictures of my grandparents with inscriptions on them
all of my Chanel perfume (on the mirrored center shelf/tray)
My jewelbox
A smaller inlaid box from Egypt with perfume vials/samples in it
A rococo style tin with my bobby pins in it
My 1935 repro Coty Airspun powder edition

In the drawers
hair ribbons, rats, brushes (natural and synthetic), comb
Serum, day moisturizer, night cream
Cream blush
Brow powder
fav makeup brushes
foundation (used sparingly)
powder puff
a few selected eyeshadows
q tips

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
As promised..

Here is the pic of my vanity...
I love it, I oil it once a week and I put some old xmas lights around it for a nice glow. (those are some of my hair flowers barretted to the lights)

I wish I could take a head on pic, but it is in a corner of my room that is in an L-shape.

and MaryDeluxe, notice anything?

l_5e0e37b3552dec4cba24bb9359237a44.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic