Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Popular music and synthesizers. Today's music is just horrible, and computers make it even worse. I only like genres from before 1965, so what I include good music, another might not. Barely any radio station plays old music/new music in old genres, so if you don't have a CD player, or an MP3 player, you cannot listen to good music. Or, you could pay a ridiculous fee for satellite radio, which isn't much better than normal radio.

Popular music and synthesizers. Today's music is just horrible, and computers make it even worse. I only like genres from before 1965, so what I include good music, another might not. Barely any radio station plays old music/new music in old genres, so if you don't have a CD player, or an MP3 player, you cannot listen to good music. Or, you could pay a ridiculous fee for satellite radio, which isn't much better than normal radio.

Just my dos centavos, but 1) satellite radio isn't that expensive, $10/month, and 2) it's lightyears better than OTA radio. They're not even in the same universe in terms of quality and programming. There are numerous satellite stations devoted to pre-1965 music. And no commercials.

The biggest weakness in old VWs was rust -- it wasn't just a nuisance, it would eventually compromise the integrity of the whole structure of the car. I kept mine going for a long time by slapping on fiberglass patches, but it was a losing battle. When I finally junked it, the entire front end broke off as they were hauling it away.

I only had one accident in it in the years I owned it -- I skidded off the road in a snowstorm and into a drainage ditch. No major damage, though, and I was able to push the car out of the ditch and back onto the road without any help.

They didn't treat their metal at all when they made the VWs. If they rust out easily; it makes sense. :p

The biggest weakness in old VWs was rust -- it wasn't just a nuisance, it would eventually compromise the integrity of the whole structure of the car. I kept mine going for a long time by slapping on fiberglass patches, but it was a losing battle. When I finally junked it, the entire front end broke off as they were hauling it away.
That is one failing I can't deny, and the problem was exacerbated if you lived near the ocean or in an area where the roads were salted during the winter. I was fortunate that the three Beetles I owned spent their times in dry climates, so that degree of rust wasn't an issue.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
They didn't treat their metal at all when they made the VWs. If they rust out easily; it makes sense. :p
Oh they treated it, like crap. :D

Agreed HH, I have 3 systems and I use each one daily, bi-weekly, or once a week. (depending on the vehicle)
My list? Classic rock, classic hard rock (Dio, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc) Sinatra (Mel Torme, Jack Jones, etc), 70's-80's, classic country (50's-mid 80's), old time radio (Jack Benny, The Shadow, X-1, Lights Out, etc), and Studio 54 Radio (Disco). Although I CAN hear the same song twice on two different channels, if it's a good one I don't mind hearing it twice. :D This gives my wife and I something to listen to together, along with my dad when we go somewhere (classic country or classical music). I pay by the quarter, although I should have taken those suckers up on the "lifetime" subscription. But that would have required me to get an X on one cheek, and an M on the other. It would have only been embarrassing when I went to the beach...;)

The degree. :rofl: Only half of it was gone...
Right.

Rusted_Caddy_zps7c56d510.jpg

Now, what was that you were saying about how Cadillacs never rust? :D

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yeah a Cadillac for the Cheap, Tightwad Skinflint. lol lol

Caddys were the real deal a while back...but now...they just are not the "show boat" of elegance. Seems GM desire to make the Caddy a high performance hot rod, and has tossed out the elegance part of the design. Truth of it is, according to real Caddy people, they stopped making a Caddy in 1959, and started making just a "car" in 1960 and on to todays models..with a Caddy name tag on it!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Cars with over 250 horsepower. Sure you need large engines in huge cars, but in smaller cars, why would anyone need to go that fast? It obviously is illegal.

Cars with over 250 horsepower. Sure you need large engines in huge cars, but in smaller cars, why would anyone need to go that fast? It obviously is illegal.
Yeah, but it's fun! :D

To be honest, in the Los Angeles area of southern California it's almost a waste to own a fast car because most of the time you can barely reach the posted speed limit--too many cars, and/or too many drivers who apparently have never been introduced to their gas pedals or to the concept of acceleration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925