Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dog leash? No, no..

A child leash!!

children_on_leash_24.jpg

Taking a puppy for a walk, I understand that.. but taking a kid on a leash.. WHAT?!

ChildLeashWoman.jpg

There's something wrong with this... :(

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh... :(
I prefer running 'round. :D
I had a fortune of growing up on a countryside.. no danger around. And no need for a leash.
(I don't think we had these.. they are still not popular here.. moms are afraid that people will mock them: "Is that a kid, or a puppy?")... it happens.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
One of my cousins would have benefited from one of those leashes. When he was small he was a real escape artist and gave my aunt (and mall security) many very worried moments. Handcuffing him to her would have been an option too.

Edward

Bartender
Unlike chickens, I'm all in favour of battery children as opposed to free range... at least for those whose parents cannot or will not control them. Leashes are just fine by me. What's really unfair - on both the kid and other people - is to let said child run amok any and everywhere.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think a lot of it is that a lot of people of my generation grew up with "Settle down or I'll break your g. d. arm" types of parents -- so, of course, when they grew up they didn't want to pass that along to their own kids. So they went to the opposite extreme, and were afraid to be forceful at all. And now their kids are having kids, and they don't have any other pattern to follow.

I'm not saying we need to go back to the way my mother was, but I certainly knew there was a line and that I better not fall out of it. Bringing back that awareness wouldn't be a bad idea.

In the past when parents spanked kids it was a bundle of things coming together to curb behavior of a child. It was not supposed to be revenge. My parents spanked me now and then.

It was usually part 2 of a 3 part event.

Part 1: I misbehaved pretty badly and my parents issued a series of warnings.

Part 2: after not heeding the warnings i continued on my course finally I got spanked.

The part 3 was the talk afterwards that clearly linked my behavior and my lack of respect of my parents authority that resulted in the correction. My actions in spite of clear direction and warnings were responsible for the spanking, not my parents hated me or wanted to simply hurt me for no reason.

My dad had a short temper, he had to learn to be a responsible parent and not fly off the handle at the least provocation, which developed into some really long talks about how I was expected to act and also interact with others. Some how even at an early age I learned to not get nuts around my parents because i knew what I did was going to shape what the next day, week or month was going to be like at home and even at school.

Some parents have had problems with being excessive there is no denying that but the child rearing today seems to create more unmanageable little monsters than before. I haven't watched the program but there was that Super Nanny one where the kids were candidates for extreme measures.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
When I first noticed these, I was appalled. Since then, I have come to understand that a child can be snatched from a parent in the mall or grocery store in an eye-blink, or the child can dart into traffic before a parent can react. This can happen to the most well behaved children. I would much rather children be safe than worry about the opinion of strangers who have no real interest the survival of your children; they will not be the ones grieving when the unthinkable happens.

Dog leash? No, no..

A child leash!!

children_on_leash_24.jpg

Taking a puppy for a walk, I understand that.. but taking a kid on a leash.. WHAT?!

ChildLeashWoman.jpg

There's something wrong with this... :(

I very much appreciate how I was raised. My parents were friends to me, but I knew if I misbehaved I was gonna get a whoopin'. I think there needs to be more of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic