Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
The modern teenage sense that the world caters to them
Schools that don't enforce dress code, language, etc.

But the world does cater to them - so long as they have money to spend.

Even worse than "lax" schools are schools that take policies too far, especially in the years following Columbine. One school suspended a young student because he was seen making the classic gun pantomime with the first 3 fingers of his hand. Another school enacted a "no hugging or high-fiving" rule (basically a ban on any student-student physical contact). In recent months, a Chicago school banned bagged lunches because administrators felt that parents weren't making nutrition-conscious choices for their children, who are now coerced into buying "healthy" lunches from the school cafeteria. It sounds more to me like a shameless ploy to increase revenue.

On a brighter note, I also enjoy Mexican coke, and am glad that they're so easy to come by. Is anyone here fond of Manhattan Specials as well?

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Or as my mother would say, "Get off your lazy fat backside and go out and DO something!"

lol That's great! Would you mind if I ever put that in my signature?

Let's see now,

Rap
Country (post '80)
Hip-Hop
Techno (The music)
Cheap-o, throw away products
So called 'classic' modern cars
Corn syrup in soda
Manufacturing out of country (Doubtful if it ever does)
The modern teenage sense that the world caters to them (Yes, I am aware that I am a teenager)
Scent-Lok, Realtree, etc. 'hunting clothes'
Polyester
People complaining about smoke from neighbours fireplaces
'Green' people
'Green' cars
Anything 'Green'
The saying 'do as I say, not as I do'
Schools that don't enforce dress code, language, etc.

I agree with everything you stated, excluding country post 80's.... It should all be eradicated.

The modern opinion that to be stupid and unintelligent is "cool", also the sense of absolute need for an extremely diverse society, it seems that is all I hear about these days ecpecially in school.

I am a teenager aswell and the attitude modern youths have is almost sickening.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
How about the return of stars who were stars because you ACTUALLY saw their films or listened to their music instead of pseudo-celebs who are famous just for being well-known?

Not to say there weren't cheesy media-created celebrities in the Era -- Peggy Hopkins Joyce comes to mind, sort of the Anna Nicole of the thirties, only far more intelligent and much better dressed. And then there was Peaches Browning in the twenties, who was neither intelligent nor well-dressed. But I certainly agree that the overall percentage of cheese to substance is much much higher today.

Last edited:
Not to say there weren't cheesy media-created celebrities in the Era -- Peggy Hopkins Joyce comes to mind, sort of the Anna Nicole of the thirties, only far more intelligent and much better dressed. But I certainly agree that the overall percentage of cheese to substance is much much higher today.

She was in the WC Fields film International House.

Edward

Bartender
To be honest, rue, even though some women do look good in them, it's the principle of the matter. If they want to wear a hat, let it be ones styled for women, and leave the fedoras to us men...:eusa_doh:

As I recall, the fedora originated as a women's hat before we pinched it...

Derek WC

Banned
I forgot to add these things to my list: (Although I doubt any will really go)

Undershirts worn in the stead of regular shirts
The idea that untucked button shirts makes you 'cool'
Political correctness (The big one)
Denim trousers worn other than for work
Masculine women and feminine men (Odd how this was a problem in the 20's, which if it really was, it certainly wasn't as bad as it is now)

TCM fanatic: Some modern country isn't bad, but most of it is foul. That's my opinion of course.

Bluestone: But it shouldn't cater to them. In all honesty, what is a teenager worth compared to your average working thirty year old man? Not a whole lot. And the fact that the world does cater to them just empowers their sense of 'like, OMG, I am better than you, ugh'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot