Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
Organized sports for little kids. What's wrong with just letting them play their own games by their own rules on their own time? When I see a six-year old tee-ball player being yelled at by an overbearing jackass of a Type-A parent, I want to go after said parent with a fungo bat

As a kid there was nothing more fun than gathering at the park or schoolyard on a Saturday for an impromptu football or basketball game.

Both team sports

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Masculine women and feminine men (Odd how this was a problem in the 20's, which if it really was, it certainly wasn't as bad as it is now)

Off topic:
I loved the song (since I've never heard it before..)

And..
Undershirts worn in the stead of regular shirts
I must add another abomination: Under-dress worn as a "regular see-through dress" on a night to town!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Organized sports for little kids. What's wrong with just letting them play their own games by their own rules on their own time? When I see a six-year old tee-ball player being yelled at by an overbearing jackass of a Type-A parent, I want to go after said parent with a fungo bat.

Hi, if we didn't have organized sports for kids, they would do absolutely NOTHING except play video games. I do understand about the overbearing parent thing, my son has played against their teams.

Later

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's where the parent steps in and says "it's ten AM, the sun is out, so get outside and stay there until six." Or, as my mother used to do, go down cellar and trip the circuit breaker that feeds power to the TV set.

We played ball in the street with a broom handle and an old playground ball -- we invented a game called "ding-bat," named for the sound the ball made when it hit the stick. It was based on baseball, but we modified the rules to suit the circumstances -- but there were no umpires, no coaches, no rulebooks, no leagues, and no established teams. Everybody played, boys and girls alike, whether you were any good at it or not, everybody had fun, and nobody realized they were missing out on something by not having it "organized." That was 40 years ago, i admit, but I can't believe evolution has proceeded so quickly that kids today are no longer capable of coming up with something like that on their own. The problem is that they aren't *allowed* to.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
That was 40 years ago, i admit, but I can't believe evolution has proceeded so quickly that kids today are no longer capable of coming up with something like that on their own. The problem is that they aren't *allowed* to.[/QUOTE]

Spot on. Kids aren't even allowed to go down the street by themselves anymore. We have become a nation of "helicopter parents". My son actually takes public transit to his school downtown and he is only 11. He is as mature as any other kid would become if they had to take transit every day. Now, it is not the subway, it is a commuter train from the suburbs with all professionals on board, but he still has to fend for himself. He has never once told us he is scared or worried about getting lost and he never has in FOUR years.

I miss kids being independent and thinking for themselves.

Last edited:

swinggal

One Too Many
3D movies - why does every action movie or animation have to be made in 3D these days? It's so overrated, costs more to go see and I'm seriously over it. I honestly don't care about movies being in 3D, in fact, I will happily go see the non-3D version of anything!!

Used to just be for special stuff, and that was fine. Now, it's every bloody thing!!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That's where the parent steps in and says "it's ten AM, the sun is out, so get outside and stay there until six." Or, as my mother used to do, go down cellar and trip the circuit breaker that feeds power to the TV set.

We played ball in the street with a broom handle and an old playground ball -- we invented a game called "ding-bat," named for the sound the ball made when it hit the stick. It was based on baseball, but we modified the rules to suit the circumstances -- but there were no umpires, no coaches, no rulebooks, no leagues, and no established teams.

In Brooklyn, we called it 'stickball.' :)

rue

3D movies - why does every action movie or animation have to be made in 3D these days? It's so overrated, costs more to go see and I'm seriously over it. I honestly don't care about movies being in 3D, in fact, I will happily go see the non-3D version of anything!!

Used to just be for special stuff, and that was fine. Now, it's every bloody thing!!!

They come back over and over and have been around since before the 50s..... they're just dumb enough to think that they've come up with something new and 'different'.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
In Brooklyn, we called it 'stickball.' :)

I never did get much coordination, and was (and still am) pretty inept at catching (and sports in general). After tending to catch more balls with my face than my hands if I caught them at all, I was happy to get a hold of a Nintendo when I was little.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Unsure what to call it, but I'll got with Marketed Collectibility - meaning we can't wait 30 years for this to be collectible so we'll put Collectible on the package and mark the price up 50%.

...Or keep releasing minute variations of the same product to give the "collectors" something to scramble for.

I sell a lot of books on Amazon.com, and for most texts there's always someone selling a "collectible" with a 100 to 300% mark-up

swinggal

One Too Many
They come back over and over and have been around since before the 50s..... they're just dumb enough to think that they've come up with something new and 'different'.

Yeah, but in the 50s 3D was generally reserved for only a few movies here and there, to make them 'special'. Too many movies are 3D these days. Makes it very passe'

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
You know I was playing ball in the street not even 20 years ago, so it has changed *fast* but I can't imagine that children have somehow become more inept and fragile since I was a child. I actually live on a block in a suburb, and several houses have children. Well, it's about summer break and I haven't seen one group of kids out, at all, not once. You don't hear kids squealing and laughing, there are no swarms of bikes, no tree climbing, no ball games in the street - nothing. It's like summer fun is just gone, and it's been like this here for years.

It's so sad, the kids don't go out after school and play. I remember being 8 and coming home from school, having a sandwich, getting into my play clothes and zipping right out to the playground to play horse with a mini vollyball and a basketball hoop with no net. I never remember a time when I wasn't sick or upset where I didn't want to get out straight away and go run and have fun. I can't imagine this is the kids doing. The town is just dead, kids go right from school to home and you don't see hide nor hair of them. But their parents are that way, too, out here. No BBQs or burger grills, no Superbowl parties, no housewarming. What a world. :/

As for what I won't miss when it's gone - not really a new invention if you consider shows like Candid Camera 'reality tv', but when reality tv is gone I doubt I'll be too broken up over it.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
You know I was playing ball in the street not even 20 years ago, so it has changed *fast* but I can't imagine that children have somehow become more inept and fragile since I was a child. I actually live on a block in a suburb, and several houses have children. Well, it's about summer break and I haven't seen one group of kids out, at all, not once. You don't hear kids squealing and laughing, there are no swarms of bikes, no tree climbing, no ball games in the street - nothing. It's like summer fun is just gone, and it's been like this here for years.

It's so sad, the kids don't go out after school and play. I remember being 8 and coming home from school, having a sandwich, getting into my play clothes and zipping right out to the playground to play horse with a mini vollyball and a basketball hoop with no net. I never remember a time when I wasn't sick or upset where I didn't want to get out straight away and go run and have fun. I can't imagine this is the kids doing. The town is just dead, kids go right from school to home and you don't see hide nor hair of them. But their parents are that way, too, out here. No BBQs or burger grills, no Superbowl parties, no housewarming. What a world. :/

As for what I won't miss when it's gone - not really a new invention if you consider shows like Candid Camera 'reality tv', but when reality tv is gone I doubt I'll be too broken up over it.

I also notice that the kids just aren´t outside playing anymore. I´m only 22 (born in 88) years old, but I still remember playing outside after school, mostly soccer during the summertime and something involving skis during the winter (finding a slope and construct a makeshift ski-jump etc) .. We also used to go "sled´ing" (or whatever you guys call this thing) :
Stiga-Snowracer-Cla_772829i.jpg
JsEknN6hFpHJwkY6Qbr0dAaxOYBL-YOTnNo8Wpa3ZBwg.jpg

We usually went to this local mountain, took the cable-car up, and raced down several times (Actually, we still do, and it´s an absolute RIOT! :D )

Regarding modern things I won´t miss; I guess I´d say reality tv. It´s garbage really.

Around here I have noticed more kids on bikes now than a few years ago. Though it seems as if this phenomenon coincided with the rise in gas prices when many of the parents began to realize that they couldn't quite afford to chauffeur their kids around as much as they used to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot