Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, this one has a steering wheel.
Not sure that would work at over 20mph!!!
Personally I had an aluminum disc, but where I live we didn't get much snow!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I also notice that the kids just aren´t outside playing anymore. I´m only 22 (born in 88) years old, but I still remember playing outside after school, mostly soccer during the summertime and something involving skis during the winter (finding a slope and construct a makeshift ski-jump etc) .. We also used to go "sled´ing" (or whatever you guys call this thing) :
Stiga-Snowracer-Cla_772829i.jpg

It's called a "rosebud"

RichardH

One of the Regulars
That looks like fun, but I would KILL myself!
Hehe, I´ve gotten some bruises over the years, and a mate of mine broke his collarbone jumping with the thing, but it´s still a lot of fun. Especially the adrenaline rush when you go fast :p

That looks like the modern equivalent of going down a hill on an old innertube -- fancier, but just as likely to give your ma a coronary.
Actually, my mom rode with me one time, and the brakes failed causing us to run over a woman at the same age as my mom. (I was probably 5 years old at the time) It was hilarious, but I hope she didn´t fracture anything.

It's called a "rosebud"
Thanks, I learn something new everyday!

Electronica music, now that´s an oxymoron for you! I can´t understand why people listen to this crap ;

[video=youtube;CmuYtL0AO4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmuYtL0AO4w&feature=fvst[/video] I feel like I´m going to suffer from an epilepsy attack just watching, I can´t even imagine how it must be like to actually be there, let alone listen to that god forsaken noise.

RichardH said:
Electronica music, now that´s an oxymoron for you! I can´t understand why people listen to this crap

I feel like I´m going to suffer from an epilepsy attack just watching, I can´t even imagine how it must be like to actually be there, let alone listen to that god forsaken noise.

If you asked the fans of this so-called music what they like about it I'll bet they would be very hard pressed to come up with an insightful answer.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It's amazing how I used to listen to techno, with the subs and the amps, etc.
Now if I turn it up a bit loud, the ringing in my ear gets louder and I actually do start to get a headache.
I'm getting old!!!!!!!!!!
What else will I not miss when it's obsolete?
Telemarketers...but honestly, will they ever go away?

GreggAxley said:
Telemarketers...but honestly, will they ever go away?

Telemarketers do not die, they become Spammers. :(

rue said:
I've been told it's the beat that they love, but it just gives me a big freakin' headache.

This crap must be very popular because when I try to watch the clip it keeps having to rebuffer meaning lots of traffic. And if all I liked was the beat I'd get myself some bongos. lol

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A few more additions to the list, accumulated over the past two years:

Google

People who sell Octagon soap online for $10 a bar just because it's been discontinued

Bacon-flavored cupcakes

Bacon-flavored ice cream

Bacon-flavored tooth paste

Kosher bacon

The whole insufferable cutesy bacon fad (I am boycotting bacon until it stops.)

Compulsory software upgrades

The word "upgrade"

People who believe any fool thing as long as it's "alternative"

Marketers who target people who believe any fool thing as long as it's "alternative"

Halogen light bulbs that give you third-degree burns if you bump against one

Artisanal frozen pizza

People who think they can get away with selling a candy bar for $5 because they put a few currants in it

Senior-citizen discounts demanded by people wearing clothes that cost more than I earn in a month

Competitive nursery schools

People who won't shop at Wal-Mart, but just loooooooove Target

Animated LED turn signals on cars

Sandra Tsing-Loh

Bizarre flavors of Cheez-It crackers that taste like something you'd scrape out of the pocket of an old winter coat

People who use the word "flavors" when they mean "varieties"

Those weird-looking gelatin blobs full of laundry soap or whatever the hell they are.

People who tell kids to "follow their bliss" but don't explain they'll be stuck with $80,000 in student loans

The Corn Lobby

Men who aren't actually Celts wearing kilts

Women with dyed hair, capped teeth, acrylic nails, breast implants and a spray tan who go on and on about the importance of "authenticity."

People who willingly pay $15 for a hamburger

Internet petitions that are actually scams to get your email address for spam

People who think signing internet petitions means they're, like, all socially conscious and stuff

Companies that stuff your bill with extra flyers telling you how much paper you'll save by paying online\

Business signs in quirky "arty" typefaces you can't read from a passing car

Raised crosswalks

People who ignore the raised crosswalks and run right out in front of you anyway

People who ask you what time it is because they see you're wearing a watch and asking you is easier than stopping to dig their $500 phone out of their bag

Alex Rodriguez

"The cloud"

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Please forgive me.

What the hell is 'swag'? It sounds so...I can't even describe it. But it sounds pathetic.

And I agree with Lizzie on the "Competitive preschools" thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner