Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Out of a lot of film gimmicks, like smell-o-vision, and rumbling seat reactions, this is truly one that I feel is a fad that they are desperately trying to cement into an actual medium. Ever looked through the audience of a 3D movie, half the people take their glasses off every few minutes. I did! It just does not enhance the movie experience for me, and I Don't think it will ever surpass regular film making, even on the animated and computer front.

LD

I wouldn't bother to go and see a 3-D film, unless they screened House of Wax or of that ilk somewhere, but I would have loved to be a part of the William Castle experience - Emergo, Percepto, Illusion-O...neat-o!

Digimation or CGI. I won't miss that stuff, and hope against hope that both will go away soon.

I have yet to see any of the latest 3D movies or watched any of the newest 3D for TV stuff. Although a friend said that he watched something on a 3D TV demonstration unit at Best Buy last fall and said that the 3D glasses / picture gave him an instant headache that lasted for hours. Makes me wonder what type of subliminal programing they'll slip in the signal like the film "They Live!"

The Giant Seizure Robots scene from the Simpsons also come to mind.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The closest I've come to 3D was in Best Buy in front of one the huge 3D televisions. I put on the glasses, looked at the screen, and was almost instantly nauseous. And the 3D looked less natural than a normal screen. I don't know if the movie theater experience is the same.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The closest I've come to 3D was in Best Buy in front of one the huge 3D televisions. I put on the glasses, looked at the screen, and was almost instantly nauseous. And the 3D looked less natural than a normal screen. I don't know if the movie theater experience is the same.

I went to a Best Buy once, and saw one of those too. Not something I care for. I'm not completely opposed to 3D when it's done right though. It should be entertaining, but it shouldn't detract from the storyline either, nor be the sole focus of the movie. I don't consider 3D films really capable of becoming classics in the future, though, with the exception of maybe Avatar.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Just talked with someone at work about this very subject (3d Television) the other day.
l for one am not rushing out to get it, and even though my wife is an avid "tech" person, I'm proud to say she is waiting until this either blows over, or gets better. Not impressed with it so far.
What will I miss when it's obsolete you ask? As a person that's really mad about it's effect on my lawn tools and my vehicles (both at home and work) I'll say ETHENOL!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Maybe once 3D television outlives its usefulness the next big fad might possibly go even further -- imagine three-dimensional entertainment *you don't just watch.* Fully interactive, all-immersive, and best of all there's *no* devices of any kind required -- no interfaces, no controllers, no gadgets or software! Or as my mother would say, "Get off your lazy fat backside and go out and DO something!"

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've got a 3D television, and it's great on the movies that were best made to take advantage of it, but those aren't numerous yet. The 3D effect isn't as deep as an iMax screen's 3D effect, but that's understandable. For just sitting in the living room a few feet away, it's impressive enough for me. In regards to the adverse side effects, they didn't happen with me, but they've happened to family.

Derek WC

Banned
Or as my mother would say, "Get off your lazy fat backside and go out and DO something!"

lol That's great! Would you mind if I ever put that in my signature?

Let's see now,

Rap
Country (post '80)
Hip-Hop
Techno (The music)
Cheap-o, throw away products
So called 'classic' modern cars
Corn syrup in soda
Manufacturing out of country (Doubtful if it ever does)
The modern teenage sense that the world caters to them (Yes, I am aware that I am a teenager)
Scent-Lok, Realtree, etc. 'hunting clothes'
Polyester
People complaining about smoke from neighbours fireplaces
'Green' people
'Green' cars
Anything 'Green'
The saying 'do as I say, not as I do'
Schools that don't enforce dress code, language, etc.

Last edited:
Derek WC said:
Corn syrup in soda

High fructose corn syrup found in much of our sodas and processed foods is a little-known legacy of the Cold War. At one time Cuba was a major source for sugar. Following the rise of Castro and the subsequent embargo, corn syrup was promoted as a sugar substitute. Not only was it a sugar substitute but a patriotic one. After all, what's more American than Iowa corn?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
After all, what's more American than Iowa corn?
I agree, as long as it's in my belly and not in my car!
Or in my soda...I'm stocking up on Pepsi Throwback, I know that will leave the market one day.
Green cars are okay Derek, as long as you are using them for the right reasons, like saving money.
Saving the earth? Every Earth Day I try to take my streetrod out and celebrate.
Did I mention one of my hobbies is pushing buttons? :)

Derek WC

Banned
That may be so, but the cold war ended twenty years ago. If I was living and aware back then, I would have heartily accepted the change being the red blooded American I am.

Gregg, Green cars are rediculous no matter what, but if you get a green car *only* to save money and fully understand that it will NOT help the atmosphere, than go ahead.

If these Gore worshipers would realize the real problem, littering, than there'd get something done. That is another subject though, and getting off topic.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I did live thru that transition, and there was nothing patriotic in the way HFCS was promoted. It was a cheap agribusiness manufacturing dodge, that's all -- a combination of sugar tariffs to keep sugar prices artificially high, along subsidized corn farming to keep those prices down. Soda bottlers went with the cheapest option, and figured we were so dumb we wouldn't notice the difference. I've been against it since 1985.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've just started to get it here -- there is little to no Mexican population in Maine, so there are no bodegas or such places, but for some reason they recently started carrying it at our local supermarket. I've been able to get Passover Coke in the spring, and between that and the Mexican stuff the rest of the year, the long drought is coming to an end.

What I really want, though, is a source for sucrose-based fountain syrup.

Derek WC

Banned
That's funny, half of the population in Oregon is Mexican, but I have to drive sixty miles to get the Mexican Coke, so I've only had it twice. They were what in the old days would be considered 'King Size' glass bottles.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I do things to save money, and not because I think it will help the environment.
I'm aware of things I do, and try to conserve electricity, water, etc.
But again, it's a financial thing.
It's what I do at work Derek, I'm a Fleet Manager.
Everything is about saving money, it just rolled over into my personal life. Or was it the other way around. :)
Studying Hybrids for a few years has caused us to consider one at home. (Ford Fusion)
Gore...I'm ashamed to say he lives 3hrs from me, and I promise not to mention the "movement" if no one else does.
Mexican Coke? The drink? :) I'll have to look for that.

I think for the most part, to put this whole tangent back on course, is Reality Shows.
We've been bombarded by them, to where the contestants on and off screen become news.
Real "stars" don't exist anymore, at least not like the old days.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot