Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The word "synergy."

People who try to smuggle beer into a show in a backpack and get all offended when you tell them they can't bring it in.

People who consider every form of public entertainment an excuse to get hammered.

The phrase "get hammered."

Modern adaptations of Shakespeare that depend on the gimmick of the setting more than on the play itself.

Bud Selig.

People who call The Wall "The Green Monster."

Black Friday.

Compulsory disclosure forms printed in type so small and faint that they're illegible to anyone over forty.

Internet listings of the "100 best of all time" that include nothing of substance before 1990.

People who care about Miley Cyrus's sex life.

Miley Cyrus.

The phrase "game-changer."

Fancy bread with big seeds in it that make you choke.

Sports fans who celebrate victories with rampages of aimless, stupid vandalism or violence.

Unimaginative teenagers with spray cans who think they're Banksy.

Banksy.

Leaf-peeping tours.

"Life Coaches."

Gendered products that should have no gender (such as pink tools for delicate little ladies.)

Disney Princesses.

Grown women who act like Disney Princesses.

Credits at the end of the movie instead of the beginning.

The word "jeggings."

rjb1

Practically Family
Lizzie: I have never heard of "Banksy" and "jeggings". Definitions? (I could be properly diligent and look them up myself, but I think Lizzie's definitions/comments will be both more enlightening and entertaining. I think from the capitalization that Banksy may be a person, but not one that I have ever heard of.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lizzie: I have never heard of "Banksy" and "jeggings". Definitions? (I could be properly diligent and look them up myself, but I think Lizzie's definitions/comments will be both more enlightening and entertaining. I think from the capitalization that Banksy may be a person, but not one that I have ever heard of.)

Banksy is a mysterious European grafitti artist who has taken the Art Establishment by storm, and is now a cult figure among a certain type of middle-class white person who wants everyone to think they're smarter than they are. I actually don't mind Banksy himself half so much as I mind the cult of pretentious twits that's grown up around him.

"Jeggings" are skin-tight spandex pants made to look like denim. They're worn by people who really ought to know better.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Lizzie ---as an English chap I would claim Banksy as one of us rather than the glamorous sounding "mysterious European". I have to admit that I have never heard of this Bud Selig person featured on your blacklist but Mr Google tells me he has something to do with baseball (or rounders as we call it over here ).... and ignorant as I may be of Green Monsters and such it is nevertheless clear you are a woman of fine discernment and I think I love you.

rjb1

Practically Family
I knew Lizzie's explanations would be better than anything I would find on the Internet, but do want to express some reservations about her use of the words "graffiti" and "artist" adjacent to each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy