Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
People who cite the Mosaic Law to support their prejudices, but have no problem wearing garments of blended weave.

This is not a modern phenomenon, as I'm sure you know. Roman Catholics did it during the Inquisition, Calvin did it when he "ruled" Geneva, it was practiced during the Salem "Witch Hunts," and so on. The Old Testament is useful for precepts (e.g., God does not wink at sin, His people are to be set apart, etc.), as well as historical purposes, but not for making doctrine. Christians are to draw from the NEW Testament when forming and carrying out doctrine; there's plenty there dealing with sin and righteous living to occupy one for a lifetime.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is not a modern phenomenon, as I'm sure you know. Roman Catholics did it during the Inquisition, Calvin did it when he "ruled" Geneva, it was practiced during the Salem "Witch Hunts," and so on. The Old Testament is useful for precepts (e.g., God does not wink at sin, His people are to be set apart, etc.), as well as historical purposes, but not for making doctrine. Christians are to draw from the NEW Testament when forming and carrying out doctrine; there's plenty there dealing with sin and righteous living to occupy one for a lifetime.

The Pharisees were no slouches in that department either. But in any event, we seem to have an epidemic of it over the last thirty years or so -- the kind of people who've never actually cracked a Bible in their lives, but have memorized a couple of verses from Leviticus to use as a cudgel to beat their neighbors. These are the ones who need to be checking the fiber content labels on their coats before they start pointing out abominations.

Here in the U.S. the two most highly revered documents are the Constitution and the Bible. They are also two of the most unread.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*The word "leverage" when not referring to a crowbar or a claw hammer.

*Shoes with ridiculously-shaped exaggerated heels.

*Shoes with wicked-witch-of-the-West pointy toes.

*Shoes designed as "art," not as footwear.

*People who smirk at the naivete of turn-of-the-century patent medicine ads and then head over to GNC.

*"Zooey bangs."

*Moon-landing deniers.

*The word "chocolaty"

*People who put Mentos-and-Coke videos on You Tube.

*People who watch Mentos-and-Coke videos on You Tube.

*Mentos.

*People who loudly insist that they respect all beliefs and cultures equally, except for those they don't.

*Insincere quaintness.

*Round shoelaces.

*ID lanyards.

*People who block the aisle in a grocery store so they can stand there with their heads cocked and their lips pursed, rocking back and forth between their left and right foot, while they try decide between the $6.98 cabernet or the $6.98 merlot.

*Internet commentors who argue that they could not "in good conscious" support this or that complex issue, or accuse you of "characaturing" their position, or ever, at any time, attempt to invoke "Ghandi."

*The word "selfie."

Extra long shoelaces that come with new shoes. You're constantly stepping on them or tripping over them. And I equally hate it when the suggestion is made that I should cut them down to size because 1) it leaves them frayed and 2) In my opinion, it's something that I shouldn't have to do.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The term "superfood," and the subsequent "discovery" of a new superfood every month.

Super food?
Is that like Pizza, that has all the food groups in one meal. :D
As for GNC, I do take a few things from there because I don't get them (supplements) in my diet.
For muscle and nerve issues mainly.
But bark root this, and extract that, I don't go for those claims.

Last edited:

Michaelson

One Too Many
Stop funding federal studies to determine if coffee is either good or bad for you.

It's good. Fresh....black, and right out of a percolator.

Leave well enough alone. Regards! Michaelson

Foxer55

A-List Customer
V.C.

Extra long shoelaces that come with new shoes. You're constantly stepping on them or tripping over them. And I equally hate it when the suggestion is made that I should cut them down to size because 1) it leaves them frayed and 2) In my opinion, it's something that I shouldn't have to do.

Not to mention they won't stay tied. :mad:

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
*People who block the aisle in a grocery store so they can stand there with their heads cocked and their lips pursed, rocking back and forth between their left and right foot, while they try decide between the $6.98 cabernet or the $6.98 merlot.

People who block the aisle in a grocery store so they can stand there, oblivious of anyone trying to get around them, holding a cell phone to their ear with their shoulder, while describing every ingredient and label on every item on the shelves to someone that is in another store doing the same thing.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
People who block the aisle in a grocery store so they can stand there, oblivious of anyone trying to get around them, holding a cell phone to their ear with their shoulder, while describing every ingredient and label on every item on the shelves to someone that is in another store doing the same thing.
:eusa_clap
This is why I go early.
But even at 7am, they are still there, just not in great numbers.
Although I have used a cell phone in Walmart, if I'm on one side and my wife is on another.
Instead of finding her and going back to where I was, I can just call her and get the question answered right then.
Plus weekends are free. :D
But I don't read ingredients to her, she can read those herself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy