Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

I prefer house husband.
I've heard of that term before, somewhere....
In HS my mother tried to convince me to go to a cooking school, but I didn't think male chefs made that much.
Stupid me, there are many on the food network that can't cook worth a crap, and they make 10x what I make.
Should have listened to my mother. [huh]

Well, being a chef is entirely different. :p

Oh yes, he does! :p

1229974_207109629464703_1834297131_n.jpg
I love that photo!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The phrase "people skills."

Middle-aged women with gaunt faces who dress entirely in black and never take off their sunglasses.

People who get offended when you say "Welsh Rabbit."

Plastic spice tins.

People who describe movies they don't understand as "challenging."

Movies people don't understand.

Academics who can't write a single paragraph without using the word "discursive."

Radios without tuning knobs.

HDMI cables.

Evangelical vegans who preach about how unhealthy your pastrami sandwich is, pausing only to light up a cigarette.

People who insist on holding up the line waiting for their large popcorn, only to leave two-thirds of it uneaten under their seat.

Those short, stubby ponytails favored by balding hipsters.

Vacuum-packed deli meats that never reseal properly after you open the package.

Trucker/farmer hats worn by those who are not truckers or farmers.

People who come to Maine in the summer to eat lobster and then complain that it's all full of water.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've seen variations of such creatures in other monochromatic colors such as all white, red or pink and sometimes they only go by one name usually with an accent on the "e."

I work with one, in her 80's.
She has a black trench coat, black hair, and dark sunglasses.
A few coworkers and I (that know her) often joke SHE created the Goth movement. :D
She's a sweet lady, and we really do like her a lot.
But there is one thing to be said about people her age.
She doesn't come in on "casual" day, wearing clothes that should only be worn in her house and not outside.
Instead, she dresses to the "nines" everyday, setting a standard that sadly most of the women there don't care to live up to.
So since this is modern, when she goes I (along with many others at work) will miss her.

Hopefully build in gratitude's will soon be a thing of the past.

I no longer go to places that have an 18% gratitude added to the tab. I prefer to tip according to service from my waiter or waitress sometimes I tip more then 18%. However I would like to have that option.

Just my .02

CCJ

Foxer55

A-List Customer
joe,

Hopefully build in gratitude's will soon be a thing of the past.

I no longer go to places that have an 18% gratitude added to the tab. I prefer to tip according to service from my waiter or waitress sometimes I tip more then 18%. However I would like to have that option.

Just my .02

I always tip 20% unless there is some glaring cause not to and even then I will probably tip well.

The reason I do this is I met the love of my life waiting tables many, many decades ago. But the poor girl was ripped off left and right by the chain resturaunt she worked for and by customers. The employer collected all tips and then repaid them to employees after deducting taxes, costs, and whatever else. To top that off, whole families with kids would come in and run her ragged serving the whole crowd and then have the gall to leave her some change. And this was a chain resturaunt in an upscale community. Unbelievable.

Since that time I have always treated servers to a decent tip without regret.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The phrase "one and done."

People who deliberately smear mud on their pickup trucks to make themselves look like rugged off-road adventurers.

Fraudulent Thomas Jefferson quotes.

Squeeze-bottle ketchup.

People who cite the Mosaic Law to support their prejudices, but have no problem wearing garments of blended weave.

Gigantic hamburgers that soak thru the bun and fall apart in your lap before you can finish eating them.

Pole dancing.

Embedded You-Tube videos.

Colloidal silver.

People who claim to be staunch believers in a rational, scientifically-based worldview, except when they go to their cupping session.

The word "blowback."

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
People who deliberately smear mud on their pickup trucks to make themselves look like rugged off-road adventurers.
I blush to admit that thirty years since I used to occasionally do that to my Flivver, but I was very young, and very foolish.

Fraudulent Thomas Jefferson quotes.
Didn't President Jefferson warn us about the unreliability of internet quotations?

People who cite the Mosaic Law to support their prejudices, but have no problem wearing garments of blended weave.
Whilst dining on Scampi.

Pole Dancing

Embedded You-Tube videos.

How about an embedded video of Pole Dancing?[video=youtube_share;J2bF86_sTWw]http://youtu.be/J2bF86_sTWw[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy