Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Didn't that vacuous Kim Kardashian woman, who had a baby by Kayne West, call the poor little sprog: "North?" Can you imagine when the child grows up and has a baby, and calls it North. That kid can then say that he's North, by North West. That soccer player David Beckham is another. Names his daughter Harper, adding Seven, the number on his shirt. The British Press had a field day with this. Likening it to Half Past seven. Next one's going to be named: "Quarter to Eight!"
Lizzie, man boobs are one thing, and you see lots of them at the gym, cracks me up when my wife says: "He's got more tits than I have." But have you heard it abbrieviated to: Moobs? Virginia, you hit the button, much too quick for me.

The award goes to Penn Jillete for naming his daughter Moxie Crimefighter Jillete. :p You could also add to the list Surnames as First Names, i.e,: Tanner, Taylor, Tyler or Conner.

*The phrase "man boobs."

I'm surprised that it hasn't been abbreviated to "mits" already. :p And while we're on the subject how about man anything??? Like man cave, man purse, etc.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've been racking my brains as what the acronym SOL means. Is it: Ess Aitch One Tea outta luck?

Well, it certainly is of the Era:

[video=youtube_share;OYjw0-4htZI]http://youtu.be/OYjw0-4htZI[/video]

*The phrase "man boobs."
Men who are boobs will we have always with us.
Witness "The Sahara of the Bozart", and the "other" AIG, the one which is not an insurance behemoth.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
And while we're on the subject how about man anything??? Like man cave, man purse, etc.
man-creche-1.jpg
What about Man creche, do you like man creche?

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Another thing I won't miss are the people so desperate to be different that their identity takes on a smorgasbord of whatever is deemed outre at the time. Don't we all know someone who found that claiming to be pagan wasn't shocking enough anymore, and have found that they've over time become pagan/kinky/polyamorous/vegan/libertarian/sword swallowing/snake charmer?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
:rofl: I've seen that, completely forgot about it. You can buy The Cow, as a doll.
Don't we all know someone who found that claiming to be pagan wasn't shocking enough anymore, and have found that they've over time become pagan/kinky/polyamorous/vegan/libertarian/sword swallowing/snake charmer?
You forgot Metrosexual.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
*Giving your kid an Old Testament biblical name without researching what that biblical character actually did.
Like Nimrod?
Oh I've heard people down here called that, but it's not their official name. :D

BTW isn't it concerning that the Mooby's "playland" slide empties out into the parking lot?
With the way people drive in my town, there would be too many "incidents."

3fingers

One Too Many
There was a young girl interviewed on our local (closest town with a TV station) news recently about a new playground built by a civic group in her neighborhood. I thought I had misheard her name until they showed it in text at the bottom of the screen. Her name was Saliva Jackson. What in the world are people thinking?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You forgot Metrosexual.

I prefer the term Dandy.

You know what I won't miss? People who don't vaccinate their children because vaccines cause autism. A former freind of mine claimed that for the longest time & when that was completely proven false she says it is because they have batch numbers on them. Last time I checked, nearly everything has a batch number on it.

...BTW isn't it concerning that the Mooby's "playland" slide empties out into the parking lot?
With the way people drive in my town, there would be too many "incidents."
...By the way, for those who don't already know, "Mooby's" and "Buddy Christ" are completely fictional constructs featured in certain Kevin Smith movies.
It's only a concern if it's not a "controlled set". :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I prefer the term Dandy.

You know what I won't miss? People who don't vaccinate their children because vaccines cause autism. A former freind of mine claimed that for the longest time & when that was completely proven false she says it is because they have batch numbers on them. Last time I checked, nearly everything has a batch number on it.

Such is the way of people who form their entire worldview based on "studies" or "exposes" they read on the internet. It's a pity there isn't yet a vaccine for that.

In all seriousness, autism has increased because the definition of autism has changed drastically over the past twenty-five years or so. My generation of kids was universally vaccinated, but I never heard the word "autism" until my nephew was diagnosed with it in 1994. If he had been born in my generation, he would have simply been considered "bookish" and "introverted."

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I prefer the term Dandy.
Now there's an expression that I had all but forgot. You are not wrong.

“Dandyism in certain respects comes close to spirituality and to stoicism” and “These beings have no other status, but that of cultivating the idea of beauty in their own persons, of satisfying their passions, of feeling and thinking …. Contrary to what many thoughtless people seem to believe, Dandyism is not even an excessive delight in clothes and material elegance. For the perfect dandy, these things are no more than the symbol of the aristocratic superiority of his mind.”

Beau Brummel.jpg

There was a young girl interviewed on our local (closest town with a TV station) news recently about a new playground built by a civic group in her neighborhood. I thought I had misheard her name until they showed it in text at the bottom of the screen. Her name was Saliva Jackson. What in the world are people thinking?

And then someday she'll meet a nice young man named Lickspittle.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now there's an expression that I had all but forgot. You are not wrong.

“Dandyism in certain respects comes close to spirituality and to stoicism” and “These beings have no other status, but that of cultivating the idea of beauty in their own persons, of satisfying their passions, of feeling and thinking …. Contrary to what many thoughtless people seem to believe, Dandyism is not even an excessive delight in clothes and material elegance. For the perfect dandy, these things are no more than the symbol of the aristocratic superiority of his mind.”

View attachment 5103

Please tell me who said this.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart