Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Odd names based on geography aren't strictly a modern phenomenon, of course. In the early twentieth century there was a whimsical physician, Dr. Frederick Hoffa, who with his wife Mary had five daughters. He named the first three after the cities of their birth -- Lebanon, Harlem, and Portland. The fourth daughter was expected to be the last, so she was named "Lastone." But there was a fifth daughter, and she got the name "Doctor Frederika Hoffa."

Portland Hoffa, of course, became famous in the Era as the wife/comedy partner of radio star Fred Allen, and Lastone was Allen's secretary/script typist. Harlem died in the 1918 flu epidemic, but Lebanon became a Broadway chorus girl, and Doctor Frederika dropped the "Doctor" when she grew into adulthood and retreated into obscurity.

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Ridiculous as the idea of naming your children after their place of conception is, I think it's likely preferable to the trend of simply mashing syllables together in a bid to give the child a "unique" name. The Colton/Braydin/McKenndralyn names really get up my nose, as does the ubiquitous Nevaeh. "Heaven-spelled-backwards" isn't clever.

A few from the restaurant world:

Waitstaff who sit down at the table. Did I invite you to join my dinner party? Are you planning on picking up the check? Then in what alternate universe do think such behavior is acceptable?

Restaurants who assume I want my iced tea with lemon and a straw.

Straws.

The unwashed Philistines who make a key like pie with a graham cracker crust.

Women who make a duckface when having a snap taken of them.

Though some duckface isn't that bad! ;)

1175360_619038601460003_744016454_n.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Ridiculous as the idea of naming your children after their place of conception is, I think it's likely preferable to the trend of simply mashing syllables together in a bid to give the child a "unique" name. The Colton/Braydin/McKenndralyn names really get up my nose, as does the ubiquitous Nevaeh. "Heaven-spelled-backwards" isn't clever.

All i can think of is the 70s sitcom Taxi, Where drug addled Jim relates why he changed his last name to Ignatowski. He thought it spelled Starchild backwards!

Equally un-clever but just as annoying are parents who name their children in alphabetical order (i.e., Adam, Bruce, Charles, David, Edward) or give their children names with the same first initial (i.e., Colten, Cameron, Cayden, Caylie, and so on). By the way, those are the actual names of the first four children of a good friend's daughter. :frusty:

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
A few from the restaurant world:

Waitstaff who sit down at the table. Did I invite you to join my dinner party? Are you planning on picking up the check? Then in what alternate universe do think such behavior is acceptable?

Where are you dining? :D

Said behaviour is a requirement of staff in some franchises, the one which springs immediately to mind is the one you have in the States which is named after owls or something... Although there are other, less obvious, establishments where it is also the case.

There was an article in one of the UK Sunday papers sometime back concerning the differences in dining habits between the UK and the US and the increasing "Americanisation" of the former. It mentioned the practise.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'm apparently not going to the right places.
Then again I have my wife with me. :D
Maybe it's not the practice of Cracker Barrel, Abuellos, or Sodolack's (in Texas).
My list is short because we don't go out that often.

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
My list is short because we don't go out that often.

I constantly get accused of being "tight" because we don't eat out often, people do not seem to be able to take on board that I enjoy cooking and would put put myself on near par with most of the places we could ordinarily afford to eat out in.

Not helped by the fact that the one place I do like going out to eat in is a very inexpensive, bring a bottle, Lebanese place. They do a mean meze type platter and don't mind if you spend a couple of hours over it.

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Equally un-clever but just as annoying are parents who name their children in alphabetical order (i.e., Adam, Bruce, Charles, David, Edward) or give their children names with the same first initial (i.e., Colten, Cameron, Cayden, Caylie, and so on). By the way, those are the actual names of the first four children of a good friend's daughter. :frusty:

What about the Duggar family? Joshua, Jana, John-David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jennifer, Jordyn-Grace, and Josie. And of course Joshua is carrying on the tradition with his own children, Mackynzie, Michael, and Marcus. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What about the Duggar family? Joshua, Jana, John-David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jennifer, Jordyn-Grace, and Josie. And of course Joshua is carrying on the tradition with his own children, Mackynzie, Michael, and Marcus. :rolleyes:

Geez, Josh has three kids already?! 19 kids are waaaaaaayyyyy too many. You already know something is wrong with them right there. :p

Then there was the neo-nazi couple who were in the news a couple of years ago when they tried to order a birthday cake for their son Adolf Hitler. They named their other kids Aryan Nation and Hinler (Himmler). :doh::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn