Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm waiting to see a girl named "Chlamydia". It sounds nice, it has lots of different consonants, it has a "y" in it, and not that many people know what it is (fortunately I guess).

No one names their kid a regular name anymore. I can't remember the last time I met a "Frank" under the age of 60 now.

Later

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking of a kid I knew of whose parents named her "Sisera." Who, if you look it up, was an evil general who was assassinated in his sleep by having a tent peg hammered thru his skull. What a lovely, feminine name.
As long as she doesn't go camping....

I grew up with a guy named Frank, he's in his 40's.
Well it was "Frankie" when we were kids. ;)

Last edited:
...I'm waiting to see a girl named "Chlamydia"...
I've never met a Chlamydia, but many years ago I was introduced to a young woman named Female (pronounced "feh-MA-lay", like the proper Spanish pronunciation of "tamale"). I also went to elementary school with a guy named Rusty Dent. I went to high school with a guy named Tyrone Grr, whom everyone called Ty (Ty Grr). I sold Goodyear tires with a guy named Brian Tyreman. And at my last place of employment, a facility that heat treated steel parts, one of my supervisors was named Larry Steele.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
There was a young girl interviewed on our local (closest town with a TV station) news recently about a new playground built by a civic group in her neighborhood. I thought I had misheard her name until they showed it in text at the bottom of the screen. Her name was Saliva Jackson. What in the world are people thinking?

then there was the famous Mr. Positive Wasserman Johnson.

It seems that young resident physicians who were working in the public health service delivering the babies of the poor tended to suggest these unusual names for the little tykes. IN addition to the aforementioned "Positive Wasserman", in one particular town in Kentucky there were a pair of twin girls named "Sy'philils" and "Gonorr'ah", a boy named "Nimrod", another "Zilch", and lovely young ladies named "Fistula" and "Labia Minora".

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Although I didn't go to school with them, a friend of mine went to HS with 3 siblings with the last name of Beach.
Their names?
Rocky, Sandy, and Wendy. :D

I agree though, some parents need to look up the meaning of the child's name before making them go through life like that.
I've also seen extremely long names, and wonder how that child learns to spell it in the first grade!

I used to work with a guy named Steele Beam. He had a brother named Jim. I also went to hs with a guy whose real name was Bubba.
Rural Alabama I guess.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

3fingers

One Too Many
There is also the famous "First Lady of Texas"...Ima Hogg.
My mother was a nurse in a doctor's office for many years. She told us a story of one day opening the door to the waiting area to call back the next patient and seeing Mr. Pigg, Mr. Wolf, Mrs. Beaver and Mrs. Fox all waiting at the same time. She was able to quietly close the door unnoticed and compose herself before continuing with the schedule.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We had a guy work with us, name of Adrian Flay. He and his girldriend had lived together for 8 years. We used to tease him about making an honest woman of her. He said he had asked her to marry him many times, but she wasn't too keen on her future married name. You see. Susan worked as a chef in one of Oxford's most predigious hotels. That last thing she wanted to be called was: "Mrs. Sue Flay."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Won't be long before some kid is named after the first thing his mother uttered when he was being conceived.
I really thought it was a modern idiom to name your baby after it's place of conception, re-The Beckhams naming their eldest Brooklyn. But did you know that Rudyard Kipling was conceived at Rudyard, in the Lake District?
Like you though, I am still waiting for baby: Ima Cummin!

Last edited:
I really thought it was a modern idiom to name your baby after it's place of conception, re-The Beckhams naming their eldest Brooklyn. But did you know that Rudyard Kipling was conceived at Rudyard, in the Lake District?
Like you though, I am still waiting for baby: Omigod I'mcummin.

Had this practice been prevalent back in the day there would have been lots of kids named "Buick" or "Olds." :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart