Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Modern Names . . .

I believe it has already been addressed in the previous 165 pages of this thread, but I certainly won't miss the silly names that some parents insist on giving their progeny.

At work to-day, I came across a young woman with the most unfortunate name of Tyranni. I thought to myself, "Goodness gracious! Wasn't this country founded on the idea of ending tyranny?"

Whatever happened to real names, like Bill or George or John or Edward or Frank or . . . ?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I should point out that unusual names have been part of culture for centuries. If you bother reading texts from the Middle Ages, the 1800s or the 16/1700s, you'll find loads of strange and odd names.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I should point out that unusual names have been part of culture for centuries. If you bother reading texts from the Middle Ages, the 1800s or the 16/1700s, you'll find loads of strange and odd names.

I kind of enjoy the recent resurgence in Old Testament biblical names -- as someone who grew up with images of ferocious long-bearded Hebrew prophets in mind, it's hilarious to see a smelly little sticky-faced toddler answering to the name of "Zephaniah."

My only issue is that parents really ought to spend some time reading up on Biblical characters before bestowing such names on their offspring. Calling a little girl "Jezebel" is not flattering, no matter how you slice the modern interpretation.

Mickey85

New in Town
To add to the general disdain of dumb names, I taught incredibly briefly at a charter school in Fort Wayne (which recently received an "F" rating), in which there were two kindergarten girls named Royalty and Queen Elizabeth. I promise I'm not making that up. Her name was legitimately Queen Elizabeth ----.

Other things that grind my gears:

Wal mart, k mart, lowes, Home Depot, and any other "mart" stores

An overwhelming instance of overseas production

Unions that are so strong they cripple the company

Twitter

All the different sorts of diet soda. Seriously, how many cokes do we need?

Cars that are marketed as SUVs

SUVs that aren't four wheel drive

Selfish drivers

Machines that reduce interactions - ATMs, self checkout, coin counters, ticket kiosks at museums, etc

Talking to a machine on the phone when calling a company

On star, and anything else that can follow and remotely shut down your car

Squeeze packs of fruit goop

Health food loaded with carbs and preservatives

Health food

HFCS

Political correctness

Unnecessarily large headphones as a fashion statement

Uggs

Multi colored pants that advertise themselves as "pink"

Reality shows

Ghost hunting shows

Scripted "reality shows"

Puppy mills (probably not new, but they need to go)

The idea of disposable pets and plants

Crocs

Wii sports/workout video games

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I believe it has already been addressed in the previous 165 pages of this thread, but I certainly won't miss the silly names that some parents insist on giving their progeny.

At work to-day, I came across a young woman with the most unfortunate name of Tyranni. I thought to myself, "Goodness gracious! Wasn't this country founded on the idea of ending tyranny?"

Perhaps an ornithologic christen, but Tyranni has a certain ring....;)

Any damn name but Sue!! lol

Whatever happened to real names, like Bill or George or John or Edward or Frank or . . . ?

I am annoyed by the stupid names and stupid spellings.

I have a friend who has two daughters both with very oddly spelled, fairly traditional names. They almost have a Russian feel to them, the way they're spelled. Vronnika and Kymberleigh (I hope they never read this post!)

My own family is guilty as well, my nephew's name is Ruger (after the gun) (again, what happened to regular names)
A good friend of mine named his daughter Sierra (after his GMC truck)
I think it's kind of silly to give your children trademarked names.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I kind of enjoy the recent resurgence in Old Testament biblical names -- as someone who grew up with images of ferocious long-bearded Hebrew prophets in mind, it's hilarious to see a smelly little sticky-faced toddler answering to the name of "Zephaniah."

My only issue is that parents really ought to spend some time reading up on Biblical characters before bestowing such names on their offspring. Calling a little girl "Jezebel" is not flattering, no matter how you slice the modern interpretation.
I know people in the construction industry, and thankfully I haven't heard of any builders named Nimrod. :D

Mickey, I almost "ran into" a selfish driver on Friday.
She was "texting" and driving, 10 mph below the speed limit.
Had I not noticed she was at a crawl, I would have rear-ended her.
Given the fact I really love my car, my day would have been ruined, and her's would have been too. :rolleyes:
Pull over and text, don't attempt to drive and do that.
Speaking of lack of interaction by using machines, in my town the speed limit is a suggestion.
So, some smart a** on the silly council decided to put up speed posts, complete with a radar and a camera.
Yep, you'll get a ticket for passing a pole at higher than the posted speed, all without an officer present...

Any damn name but Sue!! lol

I am annoyed by the stupid names and stupid spellings.

I have a friend who has two daughters both with very oddly spelled, fairly traditional names. They almost have a Russian feel to them, the way they're spelled. Vronnika and Kymberleigh (I hope they never read this post!)

My own family is guilty as well, my nephew's name is Ruger (after the gun) (again, what happened to regular names)

How long do you figure it will be before we start seeing kids named Nintendo? :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I am sorry Tom, but you are just plain wrong! There is nothing wrong with naming your son Carroll, and your daughter Shelby.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
How long do you figure it will be before we start seeing kids named Nintendo? :p
Or Mario, a guy that hates mushrooms but loves gold coins. ;)

Oh yeah it's gotten out of hand.
I haven't heard a newborn named Bob, Frank, John, Bill, James, Tom, or anything along those lines in quite some time.
I do have a nephew named Jonah. Okay just keep him away from the ocean and we're good. :D

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States: Flying Merkle Stearmen." Has a nice ring to it.

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Comacho :p

o-MOVIE-PRESIDENTS-facebook.jpg

Mickey85

New in Town
And another thing...

Movie remakes. Especially of really bad or really good movies. We really need a remake of Tron, or Psycho? No thanks.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Sadly I kind of like the name "Jezebel" as far as the way it sounds. But no way in hell would I name my kid that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes