Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

The games....Zombie that's how it starts. :D
You start out playing Farmville because it looks neat, then you find yourself absorbed by it.
Next thing you know, you're going to online farm equipment and cattle shows to learn more about the industry, figuring out how to get the highest yield from your crops, then it takes over your entire life. :p

Cyber Farmer Z

The games....Zombie that's how it starts. :D
You start out playing Farmville because it looks neat, then you find yourself absorbed by it.
Next thing you know, you're going to online farm equipment and cattle shows to learn more about the industry, figuring out how to get the highest yield from your crops, then it takes over your entire life. :p
No Sir, not for me. I tried Farmville for a little while only because my wife seemed to like it so much, but never figured out why she and everyone else seems to think it's so much "fun". I like Car Town because I'm a "car guy", and there are a couple of "hidden picture" games I like, but that's about it. Well, that and mild amusement at some of the things people post. :crazy:

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Many of my friends have scattered to the four corners of the earth, so Facebook provides me with a flexible and inexpensive way to keep in touch. My aunt, who is of failing health, also enjoys seeing pictures of the children on there when we are between visits.

Tonight I'm in the mood to do away with deadlines, but they're hardly a modern concept.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I think FB has it's place, to keep in touch with friends and relatives far away.
As for stupid comments, and pictures I'd rather not see of Junior doing who knows what, yeah it's useless in that way.

Car Town? Never heard of it.
Have any Darts in it?

Car Town? Never heard of it.
Have any Darts in it?
Not so far, no. Car Town started out as a "run your own garage" game in which you earn money by doing maintenance and repair work so that you can upgrade whichever cars you choose to buy. Since then they've added drag racing, some sort of NASCAR-type racing, a junkyard so that you can build your own "classic" cars (from a list of cars they provide), and other things like that to keep players occupied. The cars are a little cartoonish (you might say they're car-icatures), and some models are executed better than others in my opinion, but it's held my interest so far.

People who join the Lounge, and it seems as though their prerogative is just to tell the Loungers how modern life is better and we're all wrong for loving things about the past.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
People who join the Lounge, and it seems as though their prerogative is just to tell the Loungers how modern life is better and we're all wrong for loving things about the past.

Well at first blush I'd tend to agree, but upon reflection I find that the diversity of opinion is useful, for it encourages all of us to think about why we do what we do, and forces us to keep on out toes. I cannot think that anything that encourages reflection, and forces self-awareness is ever something that I'd miss. I would never want the Lounge to devolve into a self-congratulatory echo chamber, would you?

Nobert

Practically Family
The use of "disconnect" as a noun. Likewise "creative;" as a shorthand for "creative professional," whatever that means.

The term "multitasking" and its affiliated non-meaning as a concept that management consultants think they invented because they came up with a buzzword. And the attendant notion that doing six things badly at once is better than doing one thing well.

Conversations with people who speak of the Zombie Apocalypse as though it were a genuine phenomenon, like hurricanes or a tax audit. Also movies that cater to this demographic (no offense meant to any Floungers who may have the word "Zombie" as part of their user name).

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
My last IRS audit was a genuine Zombie Apocalypse.

Well, it's not that I don't believe in the idea of a mindless, gibbering, seemingly unstoppable horde of beings who are alive only in the most apparent sense of the word. Zombie apocalypse enthusiasts and (I'm guessing) I.R.S. auditors would seem to carry out the verity of that concept.

Last edited:
Conversations with people who speak of the Zombie Apocalypse as though it were a genuine phenomenon, like hurricanes or a tax audit. Also movies that cater to this demographic (no offense meant to any Floungers who may have the word "Zombie" as part of their user name).
Speaking as one of those Floungers, no offense taken. In fact, I concur with your comment about people who appear to believe some form of zombie apocalypse will eventually happen in real life. I've enjoyed some of the zombie movies and I've enjoyed most of the zombie related short stories I've read, but I know they're pure fiction and I don't expect to see any reanimated corpses clawing their way out of the plots at the local cemetery any time soon...or ever.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, it's not that I don't believe in the idea of a mindless, gibbering, seemingly unstoppable horde of beings who are alive only in the most apparent sense of the word. Zombie apocalypse enthusiasts and (I'm guessing) I.R.S. auditors would seem to carry out the verity of that concept.

I was thinking more of the crowd that celebrates Black Friday, but that's a different thread.

Speaking as one of those Floungers, no offense taken. In fact, I concur with your comment about people who appear to believe some form of zombie apocalypse will eventually happen in real life. I've enjoyed some of the zombie movies and I've enjoyed most of the zombie related short stories I've read, but I know they're pure fiction and I don't expect to see any reanimated corpses clawing their way out of the plots at the local cemetery any time soon...or ever.

Hmmmmm....
f022217a223ec620dee7319a25baf036.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Aww he brought roses.
Must be a special occasion.
Roses for a funeral....:D

As I'm celebrating one of my Christmases today, we have to go thorough the "dirty santa" game.
Just how I want to spend my time.
It's about family, I know, and I'm thankful to be there.
This is an activity that used to NOT be a part of Christmas, but Christmas parties instead.
Now I let family members fight over a gift card to whatever store I don't shop at.
If I didn't think my dad's wife would get furious, I'd wrap up an extra part to my 29 Essex, and throw that into the gifts to be traded. ;)

Aww he brought roses.
Must be a special occasion.
Roses for a funeral....:D

As I'm celebrating one of my Christmases today, we have to go thorough the "dirty santa" game.
Just how I want to spend my time.
It's about family, I know, and I'm thankful to be there.
This is an activity that used to NOT be a part of Christmas, but Christmas parties instead.
Now I let family members fight over a gift card to whatever store I don't shop at.
If I didn't think my dad's wife would get furious, I'd wrap up an extra part to my 29 Essex, and throw that into the gifts to be traded. ;)

Who said slugs from outer space that invade human hosts' brains aren't romantic? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic