Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

I live near where much of America's granite was once excavated, and have seen how readily it accumulates filth and scum, even when polished. Outside of the post office, fine. Inside your kitchen, insane.

*Gasp!* Blasphemy!

The best hamburger in the world is half a pound of plain ground beef cooked medium-rare and served between two slices of white toast with no condiments whatsoever.

This is a whole topic unto itself.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Men shaving their heads. They all look like neo-Nazis.

8632429_4.jpg

I vas shavink mein head BEFORE idt vas "kuhl."

Last edited:
I always had respect for men who were bald/balding and embraced it and kept on styling what was left. I feel head-shaving is kind of part of our throw-away society. Instead of working with what one has, it's easier to just throw it away.
It's easy for you to be cavalier about hair...you have it!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
First, everything should be made out of granite, or at least some rock.

Secondly, what have you got against shower doors?

Anybody who lives in an area with hard water has a thing against shower doors, believe me. And granite and marble, both of which can't be cleaned with the "harsh" types of cleaners (like vinegar) and the amount of scrubbing you need to use to get soap scum and hard water stains off. The absolute worse kind of bathroom to have in my area would be marble with a shower door.

When I lived in my last place, I loved having a shower curtain. Take it off once a month, soak it in a bucket of pure vinegar with a bit of dawn. Would drain the toilet of water every month too and fill that with boiling vinegar overnight. Can't do that with a shower door.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
First, everything should be made out of granite, or at least some rock.

Linoleum counters even are easier to keep sparkling and sanitary. A nice enamelled cast iron double drain board sink is far, far more sanitary. no crevices in which dirt may hide

Secondly, what have you got against shower doors?

It is obvious that you neither have hard water nor are the one required to keep those shower doors sparkling clean.

A simple duck, rubberized taffeta or even vinyl curtain is so much less maintenance.

I do prefer chromium plating to nickle on the bathroom plumbing, for the chrome never requires polishing, whilst the nickle needs to be touched up once a year or so.

Anybody who lives in an area with hard water has a thing against shower doors, believe me. And granite and marble, both of which can't be cleaned with the "harsh" types of cleaners (like vinegar) and the amount of scrubbing you need to use to get soap scum and hard water stains off. The absolute worse kind of bathroom to have in my area would be marble with a shower door.

Phooey on those who say you can't use vinegar solution on granite. Been doing it for years. My countertops have been around for billions of years, and will be around billions of years after the rest of my house has rotted away and turned to dust.

Linoleum counters even are easier to keep sparkling and sanitary. A nice enamelled cast iron double drain board sink is far, far more sanitary. no crevices in which dirt may hide

Granite is orders of magnitude more sanitary and bacteria resistant than linoleum.

It is obvious that you neither have hard water nor are the one required to keep those shower doors sparkling clean.

A simple duck, rubberized taffeta or even vinyl curtain is so much less maintenance.

I do prefer chromium plating to nickle on the bathroom plumbing, for the chrome never requires polishing, whilst the nickle needs to be touched up once a year or so.

I have both hard water and the job of keeping the shower doors clean. A little spray of vinegar solution and squeegee after every shower work wonders. Couple that with a routine weekly cleaning, and my shower doors are clean as a whistle.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Granite is orders of magnitude more sanitary and bacteria resistant than linoleum.

I have both hard water and the job of keeping the shower doors clean. A little spray of vinegar solution and squeegee after every shower work wonders. Couple that with a routine weekly cleaning, and my shower doors are clean as a whistle.

Actually, linoleum is naturally bacteriostatic. Granite is simply inert.

As far as granite counters, been there, done that, have the t-shirt, the mug and one of those silly magnets for the refrigerator.

Fifteen years ago the Better Half insisted that we follow the dictates of fashion and install granite, a smooth glass electric cook-top, sealed gas cook-top two dish-washing machines and two convection ovens.

We now have a nice kitchen, one which impressed all of the BH's fiends, but it was no easier to work in, and a darned sight harder to keep clean than our old one. On top of all of that, the appliances and countertops now make the kitchen look dated, and not in a good way.

The house that I'm working on just now is to be fitted with a wall-hung double-drain-board sink, Hoosier cupboard, and appliances up on legs. We are both sick of the corruption which accumulates under sinks and behind ranges and refrigerators in modern kitchens, no matter how often one cleans.

Of course, the BH cooks, generally scratch for all meals, even to the bread, and so the kitchen is USED in our home. The big kitchen on our present home is not nearly as convenient as a smaller space with a good workable triangle.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We now have a nice kitchen, one which impressed all of the BH's fiends, but it was no easier to work in, and a darned sight harder to keep clean than our old one. On top of all of that, the appliances and countertops now make the kitchen look dated, and not in a good way.

A friend in town here is looking at buying a house. She looked at two identical Sears and Roebuck bungalows the other day -- same neighborhood, same vintage, same layout and appearance from the outside. But one of them had all of its original features -- well-maintained, but never been remodeled at all, it's set up just as it was in 1921. The other one has had all of its original features "upgraded," including one of those a la 1998 stainless-steel kitchens.

Three guess which of the two houses wll sell for a higher price.

Fifteen years ago the Better Half insisted that we follow the dictates of fashion and install granite, a smooth glass electric cook-top, sealed gas cook-top two dish-washing machines and two convection ovens.

I have granite counters (and a granite bar, granite window sills, granite bookcases, granite fireplace hearth...) not only because it's gorgeous, but I can sanitize it with a blowtorch, if I wanted. It's pretty indestructible. The fireplace is limestone and the floors are travertine. Can you tell I love natural stone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk