Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

In the vein of longevity...

This is an interesting read.

Google executive plans to cheat death by taking 150 vitamins a day to hold out long enough for the invention of robots that will keep humans alive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2467514/Ray-Kurzweil-shares-plans-immortality.html
The day before he's scheduled to have nanotechnology augment his system he'll get hit by a bus and die on the street. lol The universe has it's own way of dealing with these self-important nutjobs.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The day before he's scheduled to have nanotechnology augment his system he'll get hit by a bus and die on the street. lol The universe has it's own way of dealing with these self-important nutjobs.

By someone wearing Google glasses, reading the news story about his surgery, while driving. :p

Feraud

Bartender
Exactly. :eusa_clap An encounter with a city bus should be the fate of most executives.

I'lll be glad when "futurists" are obsolete.

My favorite futurists prediction was about the "paperless office" in which it was predicted that by now the widespread use of computers and digital media would eliminate the need for paper. I print out so much stuff that I'm up to my eyeballs in paper! And they never did deliver on the Jetsons' flying car. :doh:

My favorite futurists prediction was about the "paperless office" in which it was predicted that by now the widespread use of computers and digital media would eliminate the need for paper. I print out so much stuff that I'm up to my eyeballs in paper! And they never did deliver on the Jetsons' flying car. :doh:

We're on our way to that though. I probably print about four or five pages per month. My wife is a CPA and her firm is completely paperless. She hasn't printed anything in 3 years.

CharleneC

Familiar Face

Perhaps he just has a love for life and want to be around as long as possible. That doesn't make him a "nutjob". Why resort to the unseemly practice of calling him a name?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think the essential element of it is that people resist the idea of their own individual insignificance in the great scheme of things. There were two billion people walking the earth a hundred years ago and only a bare handful of them are still alive today. Most of those two billion are long gone, to be remembered only by those people now living who knew them personally -- otherwise they, and all they did, are completely lost to the greater memory. Go back two hundred years, and only a bare handful of the people who lived then are remembered for any reason by anyone at all.

The same thing will happen to every one of us -- everything we are and everything we do, no matter how much we think of ourselves, will eventually be completely forgotten. Those who can understand and accept that will have a much easier time coping with the reality of their own mortality. Dust we are, and to dust we shall return.

And then there are those of us who realize our utter insignificance in the world, except to those in our immediate vicinity.

vintageTink

One Too Many
I once had a militant vegan try to explain to me that the by-product of a vegetarian diet did not carry the same offensive aroma as that of someone who regularly consumed meat.
I can assure you, as someone who works in the plumbing trade, that this is a complete load of crap. Talk about delusions of grandeur and an inflated sense of self purpose....

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Cows are vegan. Have they ever smelled cow poop?
Horses as well.

Here's something to try on the vegans. You could point out that back in the days of hunter societies there were very few wars but when mankind learned to cultivate crops (i.e. veggies) that's when land became valuable enough to fight over. ;):D
:eusa_clap

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I find the discussion on vegans and vegetarians quite interesting. I eat "mostly" vegan for personal health reasons. By mostly I avoid most kinds of animal fat that I can, however, I eat fish three times a week. I'm not exactly a vegan or even a vegetarian.

I always thought vegetarianism for ethical reasons was a little weird. I grew up in a rural area, and both the egg and dairy industries are every bit as cruel as the meat industry. If a person thinks that raising animals for meat is torture given the conditions they are raised in, then keeping them for their by-products in the same conditions is also torture. The only difference is the animals are tortured longer before they are slaughtered if they are being used for milk or eggs. The dairy industry produces calves that have to go someplace... they all can't be kept as pets or for milk. So I'm definitely never going to be a veggie for ethical reasons. In this way I always saw veganism as being more logical if the reasoning is ethical.

That said, I don't really miss meat and I LOVED bacon when I ate it. About two weeks after I gave meat up I realized that the idea of a burger was just disgusting to me. I'm not sure if it was just psychological or what. And not consuming animal products in our home has really really helped our food budget- cut it down by half.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Forget the flying car, where's my jet pack? They promised!

I find the discussion on vegans and vegetarians quite interesting. I eat "mostly" vegan for personal health reasons. By mostly I avoid most kinds of animal fat that I can, however, I eat fish three times a week. I'm not exactly a vegan or even a vegetarian.

I always thought vegetarianism for ethical reasons was a little weird. I grew up in a rural area, and both the egg and dairy industries are every bit as cruel as the meat industry. If a person thinks that raising animals for meat is torture given the conditions they are raised in, then keeping them for their by-products in the same conditions is also torture. The only difference is the animals are tortured longer before they are slaughtered if they are being used for milk or eggs. The dairy industry produces calves that have to go someplace... they all can't be kept as pets or for milk. So I'm definitely never going to be a veggie for ethical reasons. In this way I always saw veganism as being more logical if the reasoning is ethical.

That said, I don't really miss meat and I LOVED bacon when I ate it. About two weeks after I gave meat up I realized that the idea of a burger was just disgusting to me. I'm not sure if it was just psychological or what. And not consuming animal products in our home has really really helped our food budget- cut it down by half.
All of that is just fine. You aren't going out and proselytizing vegan/vegetarianism and getting in people's faces. That works for me. What disgusts me is stuff like Turnips, rutabagas, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and all that twigs and roots stuff. :p

vintageTink

One Too Many

I understand vegetarianism for health reasons. I have a good friend who is veggie because she believes it's better for her. But I don't condemn or tease her for it, and she doesn't holler at me for being a meatatarian.
And I like veggies and fruits, as do my husband and boys.
For me, it's the militant "You're a murderer for eating meat!" weirdos that irk me. Plants are considered alive: they respirate, they reproduce, they move, they expire. All life cycles. So wouldn't it be herbicide for them to kill and eat plants for their own benefit? Murderers! :D
I just tell them for every animal they don't eat, I eat two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy