Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

...I would prefer a good old fashioned station wagon, but nobody makes a full sized one any more. I guess that third row that folds up and looks out the back window isn't up to today's safety standards...
Now you're talking! When I was very young my dad had a mid-60s era Plymouth Fury III station wagon, white with dark red interior. I spent a lot of time riding in the cargo area behind the back seat (without the benefit of the rear-facing seat that later became all the rage) but can easily see how I could have become a human projectile if an accident occurred. I would happily take ownership of a full-sized station wagon if the right one came along, but I'm sure my wife would have something to say about that. Except for the modern automotive technologies and safety features, I'm not convinced the "evolution" from station wagons to SUVs was an improvement.

A little trivia here for anyone who might care: The term "station wagon" was created because those vehicles were originally designed to transport people and their luggage from their hotel to the local train station.

Yes, you can't go from a Prius...to a mini van and expect them to drive the same. I can go from my Escalade to one of those because they are toys next to my car. :p
I know what you mean. In 1979-81 I worked for a construction company and would occasionally drive their 10-ton dump truck; the steering wheel was at least 2' in diameter and you had to move the shift lever at least a foot to go from gear to gear. Then I'd get into my '61 VW Beetle to go home, and it felt like I was driving a kid's go-cart. lol

I don't know. I've driven large trucks all my life, everything from one ton and three quarter ton pickups, suburbans, and everything in between. Minivans are unlike any other big truck I've ever driven. I think the issues they try to be like a car, but they're not a car. They're also not a truck either.
Those "compromise" suspensions never quite worked out the way the manufacturers hoped they would. They're supposed to have the comfortable ride of a sedan and the hauling capabilities of a truck, but in reality rarely have either of those qualities.

Last edited:
I've seen people deliberately spraying their Hummers with mud to give them that rugged, go-anywhere outdoor look when they drive them to the grocery store.

Probably the same people who will spend $200+ for a pair of jeans that already have holes in them.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The one we have is much easier to drive than a regular cargo van. Maybe even a little more car-like than the suburban. I would prefer a good old fashioned station wagon, but nobody makes a full sized one any more. I guess that third row that folds up and looks out the back window isn't up to today's safety standards.

Years ago I was in Albuquerque and one night we rode a few blocks alongside a family of Mexicans cruising around in the biggest slice of awesomeness ever. They had a lowrider Chevy Astro-van, complete with hydraulics and all. It was bowling ball/bass boat glittery purple paint with a big gold Virgin of Guadalupe painted on back. I've been trying for a while (somewhat unsuccessfully) that I need to fix hers up like that.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

DH, find out who those people are and I'll sell my old jeans to them for that.
I also have several pair of khaki pants in the same condition, for when they need to be dressy.;)
A low rider Astro Van...
Like this?
astrovan.jpg

I wouldn't go purple, maybe a blue or green.
For the dash or door panels you might look at this material.
zodiacblue.jpg
Zodiac Glitter Vinyl.
Reminds me of a bass boat a neighbor had when I was a kid. :D

Last edited:

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Even before station wagons . . .

[...]
A little trivia here for anyone who might care: The term "station wagon" was created because those vehicles were originally designed to transport people and their luggage from their hotel to the local train station.
[...]

In the early twentieth-century there were vehicles known as "depot hacks." Depot was short for "train depot"; hack is an old term for "taxicab." They were open, with only a roof above the benches for the passengers. The body was usually constructed of wood, which was why station wagons always used to have those wooden panels on the sides.

Below is an image of one I found after a quick Google search, which I judge to be a 1914 Ford.
ford-model-t-depot-hack-05.jpg

I suppose this also is
A little trivia here for anyone who might care

Probably the same people with spray on tans. So why not one for the Hummer?

I don't know it's sprayed on, but I often see people with those big lifted 4x4s with caked on mud. I guess they want everyone to know, or at least think, they went mudding. I'm thinking "gee, you could at least have a little respect for your vehicle and hose it off."

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've only done that a few times at work, and I didn't see it as a badge of honor.
Amusing though, for people that like to tailgate, because they were pelted with bits of mud for miles. :D
Each time I sprayed my truck off before I got back to work.
I have to set a good example. ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean. In 1979-81 I worked for a construction company and would occasionally drive their 10-ton dump truck; the steering wheel was at least 2' in diameter and you had to move the shift lever at least a foot to go from gear to gear. Then I'd get into my '61 VW Beetle to go home, and it felt like I was driving a kid's go-cart. lol

Do you mean like this? [video=youtube;ABcckOTVqao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcckOTVqao[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't know it's sprayed on, but I often see people with those big lifted 4x4s with caked on mud. I guess they want everyone to know, or at least think, they went mudding. I'm thinking "gee, you could at least have a little respect for your vehicle and hose it off."

The really hilarious thing is that you only actually get that much mud here during "mud season," that time of year when the snow has melted but the ground has only partially thawed, so that the water pools up in the soil and turns it into slurry. When you see a vehicle covered with mud between March and May, it's not a sign that you're Mark Trail just back from a hairy-chested adventure in the woods, it's a sign that you're bumbling old Henry Tremblechin who got his car stuck in the driveway again.

I think this fits in this thread.

How great will it be when - after you have pushed your way through the voice operator (pushed one, pushed two, listened to another menu, pushed one again, repeated it all a few more times) and you've gotten your answer from an actual person - you can say goodbye and hang up without hearing the scripted, "did I address all your issues today," followed by, "is there anything else I can help you with today," followed by, "we appreciate your business," followed by, "please call back if you have any other questions," followed by "do you have time to take a short survey," followed by a general good bye?

This has become a joke. Some or all of those closing comments would be great if they (1) felt genuine and (2) fit the call. Instead, you can tell that it was some market-tested script that management forces the phone support person to say. I've reached the point with a few businesses that I call frequently and know their drill, where I sincerely thank the person and then say I have to go and hang up before they can launch into the script.

Well, in that case you WERE driving a kid's go-cart. lol lol

The really hilarious thing is that you only actually get that much mud here during "mud season," that time of year when the snow has melted but the ground has only partially thawed, so that the water pools up in the soil and turns it into slurry. When you see a vehicle covered with mud between March and May, it's not a sign that you're Mark Trail just back from a hairy-chested adventure in the woods, it's a sign that you're bumbling old Henry Tremblechin who got his car stuck in the driveway again.

There are a couple of commercial mud places around here, where one can pay a few bucks to take their truck or motorcycle or 4-wheeler or what have you around a mud track or down some designed mud trails. And while I must say you can have some fun, it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. If you get stuck, there's someone to pull you right out. Not exactly a he-man off road adventure. The fellas who go there and leave the mud on are kind of the 4-wheeling version of a drugstore cowboy.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I think this fits in this thread.

How great will it be when - after you have pushed your way through the voice operator (pushed one, pushed two, listened to another menu, pushed one again, repeated it all a few more times) and you've gotten your answer from an actual person - you can say goodbye and hang up without hearing the scripted, "did I address all your issues today," followed by, "is there anything else I can help you with today," followed by, "we appreciate your business," followed by, "please call back if you have any other questions," followed by "do you have time to take a short survey," followed by a general good bye?

This has become a joke. Some or all of those closing comments would be great if they (1) felt genuine and (2) fit the call. Instead, you can tell that it was some market-tested script that management forces the phone support person to say. I've reached the point with a few businesses that I call frequently and know their drill, where I sincerely thank the person and then say I have to go and hang up before they can launch into the script.

You really said this so very well! The "automated" menu we have to deal with for almost anything "customer service" and then if you do eventually are speaking to someone after being on "hold" for about 20 minutes or more, then you get to chat on the phone with "Chad" (who you know is using a fake name, and Chad cannot speak the English language very well, close but not well,) is in India or some other country....and then you really get frustrated and ask to speak to a supervisor....get put back on hold...and then disconnected.....lol!

My Husband purchased a metal whistle...like the Police use....we keep it near the phone....it helps give telemarket callers a reason to NOT want to call us again....when they get an "ear full" of that!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You really said this so very well! The "automated" menu we have to deal with for almost anything "customer service" and then if you do eventually are speaking to someone after being on "hold" for about 20 minutes or more, then you get to chat on the phone with "Chad" (who you know is using a fake name, and Chad cannot speak the English language very well, close but not well,) is in India or some other country....and then you really get frustrated and ask to speak to a supervisor....get put back on hold...and then disconnected.....lol!

My Husband purchased a metal whistle...like the Police use....we keep it near the phone....it helps give telemarket callers a reason to NOT want to call us again....when they get an "ear full" of that!

http://www.dialahuman.com/

Captain Neon

Familiar Face
Thomas Jefferson may have supported true alloidal ownership of the land, and he likely had those that agreed with him in attendance, but Thomas Jefferson was NOT at the Constitutional Convention. He was the Ambassador to France representing these united States of America under the Articles of Confederation. It is unclear whether Jefferson even knew about the convention until after it had commenced.

During the Constitutional Convention there was much debate over eminent domain. Some, such as Thomas Jefferson, pushed for true allodial ownership of land, but it was clear such a system could never work. The compromise was eminent domain for "public use", which is the term ultimately included in the Fifth Amendment. Some have argued that the terminology "public use" is significant and does not include "public benefit" or "public interest", others have argued that those are practically the same. Courts have consistently favored the use of eminent domain for economic development going all the way back to the 1820's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner