Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Thomas Jefferson may have supported true alloidal ownership of the land, and he likely had those that agreed with him in attendance, but Thomas Jefferson was NOT at the Constitutional Convention. He was the Ambassador to France representing these united States of America under the Articles of Confederation. It is unclear whether Jefferson even knew about the convention until after it had commenced.

Not only was he not there, he was not a proponent of a strong central government and preferred the Articles of Confederation. Still, he was an important and influential political thinker at the time. His ideas on allodial title are manifested in his reluctance for the Constitution in the first place, though he supported the delegates who did attend, famously calling them an "assembly of demigods".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
DVRs! Oh, wait, I love my DVR. It is the one new bit of TV that is great. I can now watch shows when I want, zip through the commercials, and record a bunch of shows at the same time, (amazing, how many shows I like, come on at the exact same time.)

Yeah, but it was a fun kid's go-cart!

Oh, sure. "Hey, let's take a car that weighs 3,476 pounds and crash it into a car that weighs half as much and see which one has more damage." :suspicious:

Actually, mine was more like this...except it wasn't yellow. :D

They weren't fun. They were death traps. Still are. lol lol

Uh, your chances of getting hit by a car of that design back then were pretty high as those were contemporary to the time. God help you if you met one of those on the street with a VW. lol lol
Yeah, in other words it handled lousy and with a hopped up engine would likely crash and kill you really good. :p :rofl:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I knew a kid who hit a moose in a VW -- it rolled over the top of the car and down the back before hitting the pavement. There were some dents, but surprisingly little damage. The cop who investigated suggested that if the moose had been just a little bit taller, the VW would have gone right underneath him.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
New catchphrases.
The latest phrases? "Inbox me" and "thanks much."
Inbox you? How about box you, I can do that. :D
The second one is an attempt to save time I suppose.
A two letter word like "so" is going to slow you down further?[huh]

Last edited:

Kitty Kahlo

New in Town
New catchphrases.
The latest phrases? "Inbox me" and "thanks much."
Inbox you? How about box you, I can do that. :D
The second one is an attempt to save time I suppose.
A two letter word like "so" is going to slow you down further?[huh]

lol That reminds me when people say " Do you wanna come with?" Come with...what? You? Fries? Nouns are important.

Clearly not all of them. I've owned three of 'em, and I'm still alive. :D

...Yeah, in other words it handled lousy and with a hopped up engine would likely crash and kill you really good. :p :rofl:
That depends on the drivers' skills behind the wheel. ;)

lol That reminds me when people say " Do you wanna come with?" Come with...what? You? Fries? Nouns are important.
My wife grew up in Illinois (Chicago suburbs), and when we first started dating she would occasionally ask questions phrased this way. Each time my response was pretty much the same as yours. lol

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Uh, your chances of getting hit by a car of that design back then were pretty high as those were contemporary to the time. God help you if you met one of those on the street with a VW. lol lol
Yeah, in other words it handled lousy and with a hopped up engine would likely crash and kill you really good. :p :rofl:

Doesn't mater what you drive, theirs always some one bigger! [video=youtube;imrUYlEtLcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imrUYlEtLcs[/video]

I knew a kid who hit a moose in a VW -- it rolled over the top of the car and down the back before hitting the pavement. There were some dents, but surprisingly little damage. The cop who investigated suggested that if the moose had been just a little bit taller, the VW would have gone right underneath him.

It must nearly have if it just rolled and flew over the car. lol lol

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Unless it's one of these, then you go OVER the moose.
vwmonster1.jpg
And one for going over a Deer with a Deere. :D
deere.jpg
Or one like Tom will need, with all those kids he's going to have.
vwvan.jpg
Whew, my Fahrvergnügen is wore smooth out with all that posting. :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
See, that's why looking up "how to drag race" on your I-Phone WHILE drag racing, is a bad idea.
A Camaro? Well not a huge loss.
Good thing it wasn't one of these.
[video=youtube;HicEU9snPcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HicEU9snPcc[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The biggest weakness in old VWs was rust -- it wasn't just a nuisance, it would eventually compromise the integrity of the whole structure of the car. I kept mine going for a long time by slapping on fiberglass patches, but it was a losing battle. When I finally junked it, the entire front end broke off as they were hauling it away.

I only had one accident in it in the years I owned it -- I skidded off the road in a snowstorm and into a drainage ditch. No major damage, though, and I was able to push the car out of the ditch and back onto the road without any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy