Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best Eastman A-2?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I like the Star Sporstwear contract and their "house" A-2 but, what's in your opinion the best Eastman Leather A-2? What model do you like best?

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Their Werber A-2 is great and has a nice trim fit in the upper torso but has comfortable shoulders. Mine is 5 years old this year and just gets better and better.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I second the vote on the Werber - at least until you put on 5 pounds or the zipper goes out. And it will go out - the metal parts are soft and the twill tape loosely woven.

Doesn't matter. I still love mine.

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
I've tried 5 ELC Roughwears. I gave my first one a 'wash' ;-) and it was the most incredible-fitting of all the jackets I have even owned.... except the arms shrunk and it had to go. So, that 27552 would be my fav. The rest of them were attempts at perfecting the fit, which I never personally found with ELC. I may also try a Werber or the 'Slender' one day, but my moneys going into Aero's and GWs.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned all ELC's original maker jackets at different times and have sold them all apart from the 1933 Werber, which is by far my favourite ELC A2. Mine is an early one from 2007 and is still breaking in as I wear my repros in rotation. I love the caramel knits and top stitching above the waistband and at the cuffs.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I may also try a Werber or the 'Slender' one day, but my moneys going into Aero's and GWs.

You need a small body for the slender. Their bigger size is 44 and it is very tight.

I have owned all ELC's original maker jackets at different times and have sold them all apart from the 1933 Werber, which is by far my favourite ELC A2. Mine is an early one from 2007 and is still breaking in as I wear my repros in rotation. I love the caramel knits and top stitching above the waistband and at the cuffs.

I've been considering an ELC the last weeks.

I like the Werber pattern but I don't know what to think about the Havana Brown color. In pictures it looks too light. :eusa_doh:

Another thing I don't like about ELC is the contrast of khaki and OD threads against seal brown hides.

Aerojoe said:
"Another thing I don't like about ELC is the contrast of khaki and OD threads against seal brown hides."

You're sick. That's one of the best things about certain A-2 contracts! lol

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You need a small body for the slender. Their bigger size is 44 and it is very tight.

I've been considering an ELC the last weeks.

I like the Werber pattern but I don't know what to think about the Havana Brown color. In pictures it looks too light. :eusa_doh:

Another thing I don't like about ELC is the contrast of khaki and OD threads against seal brown hides.

The colour of the ELC Werber is the same the original that Gary owns. The use of Khaki and OD threads on some ELC jackets is perfectly fine and both shades are seen on original jackets.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars

I had an Eastman A-2 in Havana Brown. I didn't care for the color. It was almost orange in appearance. I also didn't like the way the sleeves were tapered towards the forearms. I do however love the contrast of khaki or OD thread against seal brown. Right now I have plenty of seal brown A-2s. When I buy my next A-2 it will be dark russet.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Aerojoe said:
"Another thing I don't like about ELC is the contrast of khaki and OD threads against seal brown hides."

You're sick. That's one of the best things about certain A-2 contracts! lol

The use of Khaki and OD threads on some ELC jackets is perfectly fine and both shades are seen on original jackets.

I do however love the contrast of khaki or OD thread against seal brown.

It is just a matter of personal taste :lol: Some original contracts had dark threads. Seal brown hide, dark threads and dark knits;

Clip0001.jpg

It is what I like [huh] And small collars!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I recently heard a friend discuss a similar thing and the conclusion was anything they make 'without' those fancy Crown zips as the teeth have a tendency to come away from the zip tape. Anyone else heard about this?
It's been quite a while since I bought an Eastman jacket, I did like their old Talon zips as the runners/pullers fitted some original era zips.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
My havana brown Eastman had a Crown locking zipper and I never had any trouble with it. I bought the jacket second-hand on ebay, owned it for a year, and then sold it on ebay.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've owned 2 Werbers. First Hookless lost a rivet cap, then its pull tab, then its slider. Second lost 2 teeth right over the tang, which defied all attempts at replacement as the tape underneath unraveled. All this with less-than-normal wear and tear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot