Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats the deal with tie length these days?

Edward

Bartender
Mario said:
Well, if you're suffering from sore armpits from rubbing them against the waistband of your pants then you should seriously start considering a slightly lower rise... :D

Here's how it all comes together:

theteapotmangg8.jpg

Puts me in mind of....

obelix2.gif

lol

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Puts me in mind of....

obelix2.gif

lol

Somewhat off topic, but I remember seeing that cartoon on TV while on a vacation to Croatia ten years ago... what's it called? I still remember it to this day, and the particular episode I watched had to do with Egypt and the Pyramids, if I can recall.

James71

A-List Customer
cptjeff said:
Men don't wear windsors.

(Sorry, Not helping. HJ)

(Perfectly fine Mr Jones. :) )

I may not be 6'9 and obese, I am 6'1 and wear a 46 shirt. My shoulders are wide enough to pull off a big knot in my tie. I dont require the skinny end of my ties to be the same length as the large end, but I would prefer not to be left with a short little stub and would be very happy if the short end was long enough to meet with the restraining loop.

I agree with the above sentiment that we need items of clothing to fit more than one body type. If you need to hack a foot off the bottom of your trousers that's relatively easy, but it is considerably more difficult to make your tie longer.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ah, tie length.

Yes, these days I find the length of modern ties to be a bit too short for my significantly larger neck. I do need a large knot to match my large frame. To remedy this I generally have to purchase extra long ties. When you are obese it just doesn't look very good to have your tie stop four inches above your beltline. :(

Whilst I do not like wearing a tie tied so that the end of it drops below my beltline, I do want it to stop at or perhaps just above it. To try to bring the beltline up to my actual waistline I normally order trousers in tall with unfinished hems in order to get a higher waistline. I have a short inseam, so a lot of fabric gets cut off when alterations are done, but the trousers fit better that way. It's a decent compromise if you can't afford to have custom-made vintage-style high-waisted trousers made or simply don't want to do so.

I've found extra long ties online and in various department stores.

Regards,
Tom

Somewhat related... what is with gigantic tie knots? Every time I turn on the television, I usually see a knot that reaches down to the points of the shirt collar. Are men making these giant knots because ties are too long? Or are the two unrelated?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Huge tie knots are the result of the thickness of the tie.

Agreed.

As has been previously stated most people have a problem with ties being too long, whereas I have a problem with them being too short. I ended up purchasing two of Mr. Magnoli's Casablanca neckties & combined them to make one long one. Now I just got to figure out what to do with the extra fabric from the second one.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I'm a big guy (6'1", 220lbs or so, last I checked, 16 1/2" collar) and used to find modern ties too short, but then I started being careful to make the wraps in my tie knots a little tighter and find that they are just about right. With modern pants and a Windsor knot, the short blade goes through the loop far enough to stay in place, and the very tip of the long blade just touches my belt buckle. A four-in-hand ends up with the tie too long, but it's OK if I do an extra wrap. A bonus of making the knots a little tighter is that they end up looking neater, and I can tie a nice symmetrical Windsor without having a knot the size of my fist.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Agreed, I think modern ties are a little too short to tie a double Windsor and have enough length to reach my belt. That's wearing regular trousers etc.

But the photos I see of the 40's and 50's, one I recall of Gary Cooper his tie was considerably shorter than considered "appropriate" today.

My Dad ties his ties about that length also, and usually tries to have the narrow end the same length as the tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner