Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
I could be all over the map with this one. I have favs in every possible genre and period. But. I'm resolutely holding myself to the Golden Era, so it has to be.... "Holiday"!

Not the first Katharine Hepburn/Cary Grant movie one thinks of, and maybe that's why I love it. It's the underdog. It's not as flashy, frenetic or filled with other big names. But it always moves me, and Grant is at his most effortlessly charming, IMO. He's just enjoying himself.

And that scene when those two perform their impromptu acrobatics in the "kid's room" always leaves me giggling like an idiot with joy. (And yes, I run it back 3 or 4 times. Always.)

BenWarner

Banned
What is your favorite movie?

Anyone here who likes to watch movies. I am a big fan of movies. In my free time i watch movies. My favorite movies are Titanic and Avtar. Please tell my what is your favorite movie?

Alex

Practically Family
Not in order:

Into the Wild
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Back to the Future part 1
The Butterfly Effect

Berlin

Practically Family
Not in order:

Wuthering Heights ( 1939 )
Picknick at Hanging rocks
Flyboys
The entity
Close encounters of the third kind
The color purple
La vita é bella
HAIR
The Notebook

Oops. That's quite alot. And I can keep going.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Without a doubt my favorite movie is Williamsburg – The Story of a Patriot. I watch it whenever I require inspiration. For some reason I always get dust or something in my eye at the end.

Not in order:

Into the Wild
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Back to the Future part 1
The Butterfly Effect

If you liked the Assassination of Jesse James, you might like "The Long Riders". It's from the early 80's and stars several brother actors as the James, Youngers and Millers. Great fun,
lots of action.

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
It is impossible for me to pick just one. I love movies--all kinds--and there have been so many great ones. I can't even contain favorites to genres. lol! But, for the purpose of this thread, I will say...

MirrorMask

CR141

Familiar Face
Dr. Zhivago. The first time I saw it was at the Capitol theater in Rome NY(many years ago). They had an organ player on an elevating platform from below the stage playing the theme song before the movie started. Awesome

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I answered this back in the day, but I made a list. Here is ONE movie that I love more than all the others:

tumblr_li6eryKZmz1qi2qito1_500.jpg

It's funny, original, brilliant, VERY "of it's time", has great songs, great pre-Code jokes that make me chuckle, and I love that they were way off in their predictions of what 1980 would be like <3 I also love El Brendel and Majorie White with all my heart!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's one I've always wanted to see -- I'm a big fan of Sunnyside Up, which was written by the same team, and also features White and Brendel (along with the hyperkinetic Frank Richardson.) TCM has recently licensed a bunch of early Fox pictures, so hopefully it'll show up there.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Just Imagine (1930) was tailor-made for me. I'm obsessed with anything "paleo-future" and this has it in spades. I also love really "bad" vaudeville comedy from this time -- the kind that was even outdated and groan-worthy in 1930 lol El Brendel delivers wonderfully! I also love his delivery of all the pre-Code one-liners such as "She's not the queen, HE IS!" (when a martian man takes a particular liking to him!) I love his "Give Me The Good Old Days!" line and even want to get it tattooed on me.

Marjorie White and Frank ALbertson are a fabulous team as the comedy support. They are just SO CUTE and it's a shame Marjorie met an unnecessary end in 1935 :( Frank Albertson looks a bit like my husband, so I have a crush on him.

Has there ever been a sci-fi/comedy/musical made since this one?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think I've seen as many Golden Era musicals as anyone, but I can't think of another one that has sci-fi elements to it -- although there's a bizarre number in "Madam Satan" which I bet was influenced by the look of "Just Imagine." Chorus girls dressed up as electrons dancing on a zeppelin, that sort of thing. (Madam Satan would have been a much better picture with El Brendel in it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails