Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite candy?

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
A friend's mother makes the most excellent pecan turtles and pecan logs! She only makes this stuff at Christmas, so it is a real treat to get some!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jelly Babies!!!

I just had to revive this thread!
Being back on Prednisone:( I'm back to craving sweets!
One day Hem stopped on his way home from work at Kiki's Mart, a little convenience store a few miles from our place that sells every imaginable British and Irish treat. Yes they do have all 57 varieties of Heinz, HobNobs, Tiger Bars, and much more. But on this day, and I'm not sure this has to do with all the Dr. Who he has been watching, he brought home 2 bags of Jelly Babies. These are NOT gummy bears. They are little sugar delights, a strange crunchy outside and a sugary inside, with a dusting of powdered sugar. They come in 6 different flavors, all with a name and a personality!
When we lived closer to Kiki's I got these as a treat often. But now it's too far to walk, and I hadn't had them in a while. Well! I just forgot how darn good these things are. I'm totally blaming my addiction on the medication, but I just can't get enough! Yesterday morning we were all out. When I walked into Kiki's the woman looked at me and said "we just got a new shipment in". Yahoo! I was in business. I bought 4 bags, 2 for me 2 for Hem, mine are all gone just 36 hours later, Hem is now hiding his stash so I don't eat his too!! HELP!! I'M ADDICTED!!! I don't feel to badly though, I'm not craving anything else, and for being on prednisone I'm really not eating the way I did the last time I was on this medication. No harm, no foul!

Now let me just say that there is no substitute for a Jelly Baby. However, apparently they are not FDA approved, so they are not supposed to be imported here. I guess they use some sort of dye that is seen as potentially harmful by the FDA:eek:. There is another brand, made in the UK, that has been OK'ed by the FDA, but I am told by my British friends that these are pure imposter's and not anything like the real thing. So keep your fingers crossed that Kiki's doesn't get caught! I don't know what I would do if they couldn't get Jelly Babies anymore... I know, there's always ebay and there are plenty of places online that sell them and will ship them overseas, but they are so much more expensive and the shipping costs are high:(
Here's a link to a website to learn a bit about the Babies, their colors, names and their personalities

MMMMM, look at all of that sugary goodness!!

jellybabies.jpg

50114-01.jpg

cooncatbob

Practically Family
See's candy, my favorite is the Bordeauxs.
When I was a kid my Aunt in Southern California would send us a box at Christmas. There were 2 Bordeauxs in each layer which my sister and I would split. Now at Christmas I get myself a custom box 2/3 bordeauxs and the rest assorted butter creams, yum.
Bob

KenS

New in Town
Nobody said Chick n Stix???

I can't believe Chick-O-Stix haven't been mentioned yet. I try to stay away from candy (with limited success) but Chick-O-Stix just jump out at me. Mmm.

fernande

Vendor
Listening to everyone's Candy's is just making me want to pig out. (and only this afternoon was I thinking- okay, its time to rid the house of all the sweets)

I grew up in North Dakota and Western MN and by far the family treat was
"Chippers" by local confectioner Widmans-
What are" chippers?"
milk chocolate covered potato chips !!! you either are "yum" or "eew" but I really think you're going to go "yum"
They are definately the gold standard of sweets in this somewhat rural area- and if you go to any family based gathering, you almost always see the little white box, and the gold seal- and everyone is passing them around.
It makes me happy and sort of nostalgic just to think of it-
They are the perfect combination of salty and sweet and totally addictive.

I had family sending them to me down south, when I went to college in New Orleans- I so loved this treat.
And I think sometime in the early 90's Widman family members divorced and they were suing each other for the right to manufacture "the chipper"-
(hopefully none of them ended up in the chipper..... okay bad "fargo" joke)

http://www.carolwidmanscandyco.com/

Daisy Buchanan

KenS said:
I can't believe Chick-O-Stix haven't been mentioned yet. I try to stay away from candy (with limited success) but Chick-O-Stix just jump out at me. Mmm.

You know, I'd never heard of a Chick-O-Stix before until this year when they were shown on a show that I watch on The Food Network, Best Of... (I think that's what it's called!)
Anyway, being the candy fiend that I am, I was intrigued. It was very cool learning the history of them! We don't have them here in Boston, but while in Philly during last Christmas I came across them in the local WaWa market (aaah WaWa the best convenient store in the universe, and we don't have them in New England:().. Anyway, I bought one and really liked it. It had a nice crunch to it. Didn't have that chickeny taste, contrary to the name it has nothing to do with a chicken:D! It was good, just the right amount of chocolate and crunch. Before we drove back home to Boston I picked up a couple more to bring home with me. I was kind of sad when I ate the last bite. I had grown a bit attached to the Chick-o-Stix (that tastes nothing like chicken), but I can't find them anywhere in my area. I guess I could buy them online, there are only about a million candy stores online nowadays which is definitely my idea of heaven, but you have to buy in bulk and I don't think it's a good idea to have that many chick-o-stix in the house! Especially while I'm still taking steroids medication!!
Hmmm, now I want a chick-o-stix:( hmph......

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Being back on Prednisone:( I'm back to craving sweets... 2 bags of Jelly Babies.

Jelly Babies! Real, authentic Jelly Babies--and so close too! Me thinks I'm going to make a pilgrimage, yum!

Also, I'm so sorry to hear you have to take the Prednisone again. One of my closest friends is a severe asthmatic and has to take it every few months (much against her will). Thank God it's available but I know it can be evil stuff in a lot of ways.

I think you have license eat all the sweets you want (especially with a good friend like Hemingway Jones to deliver them to your doorstep)!

fernande

Vendor
Daisy-I've been on several rounds of Prednisome, (sp)
I have extreme allergies coupled with asthma- when I get a bad patch (usually during allergy season) I go on the meds to help get the inflammation down-

besides the not sleeping, and crazy appetite (I was nuts for mexican food! and vanilla ice cream)

I found I was really wildly energetic-, heh- freaking out my roommates by waxing my car at 2 am, re arranging furniture- the medicine is wacky- but it can really help tons of conditions-

at least you just love the sweets!!

fernande

Vendor
imoldfashioned said:
Jelly Babies! Real, authentic Jelly Babies--and so close too! Me thinks I'm going to make a pilgrimage, yum!

Also, I'm so sorry to hear you have to take the Prednisone again. One of my closest friends is a severe asthmatic and has to take it every few months (much against her will). Thank God it's available but I know it can be evil stuff in a lot of ways.

I think you have license eat all the sweets you want (especially with a good friend like Hemingway Jones to deliver them to your doorstep)!

I'm old fashioned-
I just posted about the "wackiness" of that med!!!- but it can really help.

I just went downstairs and got a Cadburry Dark Chocolate bar out of the freezer. mmmmmm

I guess the diet starts tomorrow!
:)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
The local German deli used to stock those, but when I asked after their disappearance I was told that Customs pitched a fit about them. Any recommendations for online retailers and collecting references?

How curious! I usually treat myself to them on the off occasions I go to the international market/store in town, but I did a bit of hunting online, and came up with this:
http://www.martinmartin.de/shop/
Click on the "Food and Candy" link in the left column, and it takes you straight to the Kinder Eggs.

Hope it's useful! :) The only tricky bit about the site I found was locating the shipping costs, which are a little steep, but everything else seems straightforward.

Daisy Buchanan

imoldfashioned said:

Yes, do come out this way. We could meet for lunch and have Jelly Babies for dessert!!!

fernande said:
Daisy-I've been on several rounds of Prednisome, (sp)
I have extreme allergies coupled with asthma- when I get a bad patch (usually during allergy season) I go on the meds to help get the inflammation down-

besides the not sleeping, and crazy appetite (I was nuts for mexican food! and vanilla ice cream)

I found I was really wildly energetic-, heh- freaking out my roommates by waxing my car at 2 am, re arranging furniture- the medicine is wacky- but it can really help tons of conditions-

at least you just love the sweets!!

Argh! I'm sorry you have to go on prednisone sometimes. I totally know what you are talking about when it comes to cravings. It's strange, each time I go on it I crave something different. Last time it was white chocolate chip cookies with macadamia nuts! So odd. This time it was guacamole and mangoes, definitely my most healthy cravings, but now it's these jelly babies.
I've actually been on prednisone for about 2 years. I've never been able to get off of it. It seems that I wean down to 5mgs then the Crohn's flares start up, so I have to boost it up really high, usually 100 mgs:( which makes me absolutely crazy. I don't sleep (can you tell by my late night posts!), I'm wired all the time, and the eating is just ridiculous. Lets just say that I have clothes in just about every size (darn I miss those size 2 jeans:().
This round hasn't been that bad surprisingly. For the 2 weeks I was in the hospital I was on really high doses, but now I'm only on 40mgs. I've actually lost 3 more pounds since getting out of the hospital, which I think is great but of course it's never good when your taking a drug that makes you gain weight and you're still losing it! But, it is a really incredible drug in the way it heals. Unfortunately it can also do a lot of damage which is why long term use isn't recommended. I'm hoping that this time when I start weaning down next month I won't go into another Crohn's flare, although if I do it would mean rapid weight loss and I've got a lot of packages of jelly babies in my tummy to get rid of!!!(jk)

LadyStardust said:
How curious! I usually treat myself to them on the off occasions I go to the international market/store in town, but I did a bit of hunting online, and came up with this:
http://www.martinmartin.de/shop/
Hope it's useful! :)
Already nosing around, Miss S. Thanks for the headsup! Also Googled and found out the company seems to have a distributor in Ireland. (Hmmm.... I have a client over there... maybe I should ask him about shipping me some and a couple off-the-US-market Lego sets...:eek:)

Or maybe, when I take my roadtrip around the South chasing Civil War battlefields, I oughtta just make a swing by your area and ask you for the shop's name...;)

Perhaps another roadtrip up in Canada's in order, too. (Found 'em listed for sale up there also.)

Young lady, it's not nice to give someone with Asperger's yet another obsession to track down...[bad] lol

EDIT: BTW, explanation on the issue can be found in the third paragraph at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise . (Interesting, so that explains why my miiatures dealer can't get those cool little Japanese mini-models that come in similar chocolate-eggs, too!)

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
My "old time" favorites were 'Chicken Bones' which was a rod-shaped butterfinger without the chocolate coating, and the 'Mountain Bar'.

We have two world-class chocolatiers in the Seattle area. Fran Bigelow owns a few shops around town, appropriately called Fran's. She makes a salted caramel in two varieties; milk chocolate with smoked salt, and a dark chocolate with sea salt (my favorite). The combo may seem a bit strange, but once you taste the mix of flavors, you're hooked!

The other great place is Boehm's in Issaquah. Julius Boehm is an unkown legend in this area. He fled Austria after getting a draft notice from Hitler, skied over the Alps at 40 years old, and landed in Seattle with a few dollars in his pocket. He opened a candy store, and at one point, the store was in the Green Lake neighborhood where I grew up. I had a job as one of the clean-up boys. One of my jobs was to break up 25 pound chocolate blocks into the melters. The ladies who dipped the various centers did so by hand.

They still make their candy the old-fashioned way, and sometimes you can get a tour through the Issaquah complex. Julius' home is there, and he used to raise St. Bernards. At one point, he was the oldest man to have climbed Mt. Rainier at 69, then again at 72, as I recall.

Thanks Daisy for giving us the opportunity to stroll down memory lane! :eusa_clap

Don't forget Brown & Haley in Tacoma! Almond Roca... mmmmm. Homemade Almond Roca from the Top Secret Recipes cookbook for a fraction the price... even better. Scoring the 4.0 on a presentation in International Business 'cause you both brought and made (sampled B&H and homebrew, blind taste-test) snacks for the class... PRICELESS!:D lol

"There are some things in life money can't buy. For everything else, there's Debit MasterCard."lol

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Wicked sweet tooth!

I love Bit O Honey. They are so hard to find, but boy do I stock up any time I find them! I have a small horde of those and Rountree's Fruit Pastilles. *drool*

It's funny, all the talk about Jelly Babies...that is my boyfriend's brother and SIL's absolute FAVORITE! Every Christmas, it's Jelly Babies for them and Pastilles for my BF and I. Ah, I love the holidays :)

Brooksie

One Too Many
I don't eat candy and have not for about 10 years but if I did my favorite would have to be; almond joy - I love chocolate and coconut and with an almond in there it is truly devine! I do have a weekness for chocolate and coconut but there are way to many other great ones to choose from.... so I just don't eat any of them.

LB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo