Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite candy?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, we have threads about favorite comfort foods, favorite pies, the food that grosses us out; but nothing about your favorite candy.
I was searching around on-line this afternoon, wanted to get Hem a little something that he had mentioned he enjoyed and hadn't had in a while, and I found TONS of candy websites. This was true heaven for me, for I am a candy feign! Yup, I do come from a family of dentists, and I am a dental hygienist. Maybe my parents didn't let me have enough as a kid, but I've always got something chewy or sticky within reach.
So my favorite, the list is long, but I'd have to say cotton candy. We even have a cotton candy machine in the house, just in case I get a craving for it. I also like sour gummies, rock candy, the real sugary stuff. Oh, and I do have a collection of over 500 Pez dispensers, but I rarely eat the candy. Their worth plummets when one opens the package. My craving for sugar is more often the gummies than chocolate, although I really like a frozen Snickers or Skor every now and then. I truly enjoy going into the old time candy shops. There are a few great ones here in New England. Hem's eyes usually pop out of his head when he sees how much I try to buy when we go to the nostalgic shops. He usually makes me put at least half of my selection back.

Anyway, what's your favorite candy? Any old time favorites? A lot of the places I found on-line offered what they called pre-1950's gift packs, filled with goodies from the era we love, but I don't know if they are correct, because I don't know really anything about candy from back then. Here's the link to the place I found had the best prices and the most selection, if anybody has a craving
http://www.hometowncandy.com/index.html

Cheers,
Daisy

LizzieMaine

Bartender
mmmmmmmmm -- candy!

I'll go for --

Tootsie Rolls
Kraft Caramels
Mounds bars
Milky Way bars (especially if frozen solid)
and most of all,
Milk Duds!

(My dental hygenist just shakes her head when she sees me...)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Viva Pearson's!

Both of my favorite candies are made by the Pearson's company. Their Salted Nut Rolls are fab but my heart belongs to the Nut Goodie (maybe the vintage style packaging adds to the allure?).

09001.jpg

Nut Goodies are "a Delectable Premium Candy Bar Featuring A Creamy Maple Center Covered With Real Milk Chocolate And Fresh Virginia Peanuts" while the Salted Nut Roll offers "a White Nougat Center Surrounded By Golden Caramel And Covered With Fresh Virginia Peanuts".

Used to be I could only find them when I went home but you can order them online now (http://www.favoritesof.com/products/pearsonsframe.html). I never have though, since it makes them seem more special when I do get them.

I also like Chuckles and 100 Thousand Dollar bars--which had a name change to 100 Grand. I like the old name better.

Daisy Buchanan

LizzieMaine said:
mmmmmmmmm -- candy!

I'll go for --

Tootsie Rolls
Kraft Caramels
Mounds bars
Milky Way bars (especially if frozen solid)
and most of all,
Milk Duds!

(My dental hygenist just shakes her head when she sees me...)
Yeah, it's kind of makes me a hypocrite when I'm supposed to tell my patients that they shouldn't eat candy. But really, teeth only rot out of your mouth if you don't brush. Brushes and toothpastes are so high-tech today, that they can remove a lot more than in the past. But of course, visit your hygienist at least every year. The standard recommendation is one professional cleaning every six months, but we all know that people rarely do that! I say, let them eat candy!!

magneto

Practically Family
I recently tried Necco Wafers and alas, was not too taken with them, but I do like Necco SkyBars...Clark bars...and Planter's Peanut bars. Also Coffee Crisp (which seems to be mainly a Canadian treat but is available in the Bay Area).

Daisy Buchanan

magneto said:
I recently tried Necco Wafers and alas, was not too taken with them, but I do like Necco SkyBars...Clark bars...and Planter's Peanut bars. Also Coffee Crisp (which seems to be mainly a Canadian treat but is available in the Bay Area).
I went to Clark University here in Massachusetts, they sold Clark Bars all over campus, yum. The Necco Company is a Boston based company, always wondered if Clark Bars were really named after my school, doubtful......

Rosie

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Yeah, it's kind of makes me a hypocrite when I'm supposed to tell my patients that they shouldn't eat candy. But really, teeth only rot out of your mouth if you don't brush. Brushes and toothpastes are so high-tech today, that they can remove a lot more than in the past. But of course, visit your hygienist at least every year. The standard recommendation is one professional cleaning every six months, but we all know that people rarely do that! I say, let them eat candy!!

Yay! I vote for Daisy to come work with my dentist! :eek:fftopic: (except he's holding a little Vote for Daisy! sign) oh, and smiling.

Daisy Buchanan

Lady Day, those are sooo good. I'm a big fan of licorice.

Vladmir: Lindt is by far the best for chocolate. Hemingway Jones, as he stated, is allergic to chocolate. But he can eat white chocolate, for it hasn't an cocoa in it. Whenever I see Lindt, I buy it for him. The white chocolate and coconut bar is very palate pleasing, and the truffles are great too.

Sport bars are also incredible, although I can't seem to remember who makes them. The white chocolate with hazlenuts is really good.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
Lady Day, those are sooo good. I'm a big fan of licorice.

Vladmir: Lindt is by far the best for chocolate. Hemingway Jones, as he stated, is allergic to chocolate. But he can eat white chocolate, for it hasn't an cocoa in it. Whenever I see Lindt, I buy it for him. The white chocolate and coconut bar is very palate pleasing, and the truffles are great too.

Sport bars are also incredible, although I can't seem to remember who makes them. The white chocolate with hazlenuts is really good.

Sport bars are made by Ritter, if I am not mistaken.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Neecerie said:
Sport bars are made by Ritter, if I am not mistaken.

Thank you Miss Neecerie:) You are absolutely right! They are really yummy, but unfortunately I've only ever seen them in a store in Harvard square. Lucky for me, they are not readily accessible, although they are only a 10 minute drive in traffic, hmmm, wonder if they're open.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo