Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite candy?

Haversack

One Too Many
See's uses Guittard's chocolate for their candies. Guittard is an old San Francisco area chocolate maker of the same era and type as Ghiradelli. See's themselve are a maker of boxed candy assortments which has been around the West Coast since the 1920s. They are sold through their own shops which are always white with black accents like their candy boxes. While their chocolate and fililings are not as rich as Godiva or as innovative as Recchiuti, they are pretty consistantly fresher than just about any mass produced candy maker. They are decent candies and a good value. Of their candies, I am fond of their Bordeaux (butter cream), and what they call Scotch Kisses. (Caramel-dipped marshmallows) Growing up, I knew them as Queen Anne Caramels.

As far as pure chocolarte goes, I am a fan of Scharffenberger's Mocha squares.

Haversack.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've always been sucker for Skor bars and almond roca. I never buy the almond roca anymore since it usually always comes in these big tins...I end up eating way too much :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a big fan of chocolate, but when I eat it I like Pangburn's millionaires (pecans, caramel, honey, chocolate). I also like Rocher and Godiva, and the occasional Twix or Kit Kat.

For non-chocolate candy, I like toffee, peanut brittle, and jelly beans.

Phil

A-List Customer
I love those Godiva clamshells or whatever shellfish they'er supposed to be, but they're filled with this creamy, crunchy hazelnut icing type stuff. It's so good and I rarely get them. My mother's company gives out boxes of Godiva sometimes for seemingly no apparent reason, but she's nice and saves at least one or two for me. I love the nostalgic feeling that comes from candy.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
Bitter is how dark chocolate is supposed to be...Lindt's 85% cocoa is lamost inedible to me...you should have bought some of their milk choc...the creamiest I have ever had. And the Lindt'or range....excuse me while I wipe away my drool!

Ive had 75% dark form other chocolatiers, and it wanst nearly as bitter. I dont expect it to be melt in your mouth, I like to fight with my chocolate :) but I guess I was expecting an amazing experience.

LD

These baby:
candy.gif

These were around as far back as I can remember and they are best when room temperature. MMMMMM MMMMM. :D

Regards,

J

Phil

A-List Customer
Yes, please do post the link. I'm dieing of the suspense that's killing me. :p
Oh, another favorite of mine is a good Abba-Zabba. They're vanilla taffy filled with peanutbuter. It's so good, but you have to have them soft, cold or hard kinda kills the mixing of the peanutbutter and taffy.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, those are good. I have to say, as your FL hygienist, that I would even tell you those aren't good for your teeth!
But, some say let them eat cake. I say let them eat candy.
Your picture reminds me that when I was in the 4th grade I won a reading contest, and the grand prize was a giant sugar daddy. My dad, the dentist, was thrilled. It must have been 3 feet long by 3 feet wide. My mom had to take a giant chefs knife to cut it up into smaller pieces. She froze the little packets, and we had Sugar Daddy's for over a year. Yum, nice choice with the Bit o honey. My sisters old doorman always had a big bowl of them on his desk, which he'd hide when I came to visit, because he knew if he wasn't watching out for me, that I'd take the whole bowl.

J.B.

Practically Family
Hold Your Calls -- We Have A Winnah!

Novella said:
.....Non-chocolates I could eat anytime include...gummy bears (Haribo especially).

Binnnnggggg-GO!!! To a bona fide gummi-freek, nothing else even exists! The flag is up -- the starting gates are open -- and only one horse.. err bear is in the race... HARIBO!

I will not allow a gummi-bear past my lips unless he's a Haribo Gold Bear! Period. End of story! :arated: They are the original and the best. HAns RIegel, BOnn.

Oh, and these bears fight back! I view them as the Chuck Norris of gummi-bears. They will roundhouse-kick your toofies into the next zipcode! Just to utter the very word "Haribo" brings tears to bicuspids all over the world!...

Trolli and Black Forest Bears -- eat your guts out. :essen:

Lady Day said:
.....I LOVE gummie bears, but cant eat them cause Im a veggie.....

Somewhere I read that gummi-bears are being made using pectin instead of gelatin for vegans??! But maybe they won't taste so good?? [huh]

Phil

A-List Customer
Ah Haribo Goledn Gummi Bears. Actually, when I was on a musical tour in Germany, we had a suprise tour of the Haribo factory in Germany. I was estatic when I entered the doors. Forget the kid in a candy shop, I was the kid in the candy factory. Unfortunately it wasn't as cool as the Wonka factory (from the Gene Wilder version, the better version), but it smelled soooo good. I was actually tempted to get a jar of air from there.

Novella

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Ha, how else would a dentist keep his patients.
Ah, so that's how it works! lol

DancingSweetie said:
I also love the milk chocolate bars with almonds they sell at Trader Joe's.
Trader Joe's also has a dark chocolate bar with an almond butter-like filling that is divine.

Daisy Buchanan said:
I forgot to mention Kinder. They have a huge line of really good treats.
Yes! I can't believe I forgot to mention Kindereggs. Forget those silly paper "toys" Cracker Jacks gives out now days, it's all about the Kinderegg prizes!

Haversack said:
See's uses Guittard's chocolate for their candies.....Of their candies, I am fond of their Bordeaux (butter cream), and what they call Scotch Kisses.
I never knew that they used Guittard's chocolate, that's interesting to know. The Scotch Kisses are one of my favorites too!

Phil said:
I love those Godiva clamshells or whatever shellfish they'er supposed to be, but they're filled with this creamy, crunchy hazelnut icing type stuff.
Is it the open oyster? I work at Godiva for the summer and the hazelnut praline fillings are definitely what they do best. The creme brule chocolate is excellent too.

Wow, I don't think I've ever quoted so many times in one post. Guess I have a lot to comment on about candy - it's such a delicious post. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
J.B. said:
Somewhere I read that gummi-bears are being made using pectin instead of gelatin for vegans??! But maybe they won't taste so good?? [huh]

Binnnnggggg-GO!!! ;)

But the raspberry hearts I listed are TONS better than gummie bears. Seriously.

LD

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Spearmint leaves, the jelly kind. My Pop used to get them all the time whenever we went camping. The smell and the taste alway bring back a fllod of great memories.

Cheers!

Dan

decodoll

Practically Family
See's Butterscotch Squares and Milk Chocolate Molasses Chips (if See's were to close, I don't know what I would do! My mom used to stop by for some See's after each doctor's appointment when she was pregnant with me...I was born addicted to it!)

Recchiutti Tarragon Grapefruit and Sesame Nougat

Skor Bars

Lindor Lindt Milk Chocolate Truffles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR