whats your favorite kind of suit?

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Detective_Noir, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Detective_Noir

Detective_Noir One of the Regulars

from single breasted notch lapel to the double breasted peak lapel. or a zoot suit if you prefer. seersucker, pinstripe, or just plain?

my favorite suit above all is my pinstriped double breasted suit has peak lapel. i dont know why i love the double breasted suit, its just the the way the buttons are and how it looks very unique to other suits, a very outstanding look
    [​IMG]

PeterB likes this.
  2. mimesis2nemesis

mimesis2nemesis One of the Regulars

Hmmm... That's a though one... I would have to second you on the double breasted, easlily my favourite. But my second choice would be 3 piece, single breasted, peak lapels, 3 roll 2 button, Navy Herringborne with strong shoulders and supressed waist. :cool:

3. Detective_Noir

Detective_Noir One of the Regulars

i like a suppressed waist as well... it brings out the silhouette of the torso

4. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Three-piece suits. Either solid colours or striped.

5. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

At the moment, my favorite look is a mid-grey, two-button suit with somewhat narrow lapels and a textured, although not exactly "flecked" fabric. Sort of like some of the suits Sean Connery wore as James Bond.

http://www.emanuellevy.com/media/2012/10/Dr._No_5.jpg

My current suit resembles this (without the excellent tailoring and quality of Connery's), and although cheap and modern-made, it can appear late 1950s through '60s.

6. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't think I've ever met a vintage suit made between the mid-30s through to about 1950 or so that I didn't love! Coming originally from a Rockabilly background though, I'd have to say that zoot suits were my first interest and after that double breasted suits.

7. svdwal

svdwal New in Town

I really like my German 1930's black double breasted suits.
    They look absolutly stunning with a bright striped 1930's tie and a fedora.

In summertime i may switch to lighter grey, but when i have the opportunity it is back to the black double breasted.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

8. GoldenEraFan

GoldenEraFan One Too Many

Hard to choose, but in general I'm partial to peak lapels.

9. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Depends.

Generally speaking 1930s three piece "sport style suits" in tweed for fall and winter or two piece ones in linen for summer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though I do have a fondness for the clean lines of 1950s Continental style suits as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CONELRAD

CONELRAD One of the Regulars

Personally (and I know a lot of you folks aren't fans), but I'm partial the late 1940s "bold look", wide lapels, roomy square cut, low button stance, wide shoulders, non-flapped pockets (whatever you call that), and wide pants on double breasted as well as single breasted suits. I also like the colorful, abstract ties and Whippet style hats that go along with it. Wide collared gabardine shirts, too, but those don't traditionally go with the suit.

[​IMG]

Everything on that page, right down to the cap-toe shoes.

PeterB likes this.
  11. mimesis2nemesis

mimesis2nemesis One of the Regulars

I actually like the Bold Look as well. I'm pretty sure my grand uncle's suit is from that era:

[​IMG]

PeterB likes this.
  12. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

A 30's-40's style three piece brown or greens tweed in a small dogtooth or thornproof something with a nice texture to the cloth....funny thing is I have a bit of 'spare' money coming fairly soon so it could soon be a reality....however I like 3 button jackets but two buttons look better to me with a waistcoat or do I get both jackets( one in a semi Norfolk style), plus fours and spare trousers?

13. ditto!

14. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

To clarify my favorite suit fabric, what I really mean is "pick on pick," especially in grey tones. The suit Cary Grant is wearing in the picture is a good example:

[​IMG]

My suit is cheap quality, but it basically looks like this.

15. Asienizen

Asienizen One of the Regulars

This is a tough question. My favorite suit now is a light tan linen suit with 2 buttons, peak lapel, single vent, belted back, and three patch pockets. It's like something I'd see in this part of the world in the golden era, and people compliment me quite a lot on it.

My favorite suit I ever owned was a dark blue pin striped double breasted with peaked lapels. I got the idea for it off of the last suit that indy wears on the Raiders of the Lost Ark. People loved it, and wearing a fedora gave me that extra Vintage touch.

16. ModernGentleman

ModernGentleman New in Town

My first post here, and my choice would be single breasted two or three button, notch lapel with windowpane check pattern. I like solid colors as well, but I like checks the best. Glen plaid is nice also, but windowpane is my favorite. Preferably three piece suit.

17. Low cut 2-button SB jacket with peak lapels with high cut 8-button DB vest with shawl lapels and an outward single angle at the center of the bottom of the front and 2 identical pairs of top stitched double forward pleated suspender pants with belt style side adjusters, 1.5 inch high cuffed bottoms and built in waistband. The cut of the suit must be Anderson & Sheppard style English.

My favorite fabrics are 13-plus ounce 100-percent worsted wool twill and 16-plus ounce 100-percent woolen flannel (in dark and medium gray solids and dark and medium grays with white pearl stripes).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  18. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

I'm rather partial to this look.
    [​IMG]

cm289 and esteban68 like this.
  19. Awesomest Guy

Awesomest Guy Familiar Face

Pure wool 2-button grey-brown three-piece with wide notch lapels, and a light blue pinstripe.

20. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

Pewter gray flannel three piece, with high waisted single pleat pants, six button waistcoat, three button with soft peak lapel jacket, full drape cut with shaped waist and shirred but carefully padded shoulders.