Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite Red Hair colour?

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Like most of you, I too have been all shades of different reds! Actually, I've been all kinds of different colors through my 20's! But now I'm sticking to red because I think it suits me best. I get my hair professionally done and the stylist uses Wella hair dyes on me. I will have to say that I love The Wella line!

3773680364_5edaaef5e4.jpg

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
My friend has told me that I simply must go red!

But she says It has to be "classic fire vintage red"

Can anyone help me out with what is "classic fire vintage red"

zombi

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
Not dramatic, but a few shades lighter, and definitely more coppery. I may be able to achieve my target tone now.
Usually I hear that honey lightening takes a couple of applications to get light as wanted, but hey! woo! If your attempts to dye copper in don't work, at least you still have a fallback method that's less damaging for the tresses, eh?

ThesFlishThngs: Looks great, especially for being a few weeks old! :D

MaryDeluxe: That's a beautiful hair colour. :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
RitaHayworth said:
Can anyone help me out with what is "classic fire vintage red"

In a brand-name: L'Oréal Superior Preference's Intense Red Copper. Just check out Grant Fan. I myself have gotten many compliments on it, used in my avatar.

zombi, thanks a lot for the honey treatment :) I'll probably end up using it again just for the smell!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
203RR Reddest Mahogany Red

Hello,again, Ladies.I've run the gambit from professional to off the shelf hair color & in all the years I've been "enhancing" I have to say I always return to my clairol Redest Mahogany Red! it just seems to get the deminsions I like & it's rich!I only use the 10 volume perioxide as I only want to deposit the color.I don't have to lift or use the developer to help the color penetrate the gray's.
it's actually what works for the individual!some of my friends that were stationed in Korea they started with Henna & still use the chestnut henna.But it's messy!I have to do my hair myself (no sisters,in laws or a daughter,& no hubby either!) so it never fails, I will splatter!so it gets on walls,tables,etc!JMHO,I like clarol 203RR

swinggal

One Too Many
The Garnier Nutrisse reds are the ONLY reds that last for me. I have been dying my hair red at home for 20 years and no other reds come close to staying in as long or giving such shine. My hair always feels great after I use it too.

I highly recommend the Garnier Nutrisse line if you want to go red.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hee... not rediculous at all, at least not to me; as I always want the same thing! (And if you check my blog you'll see what a Titanic nut I am!)
Grant Fan said:
I usually use Intense Red Copper from Lorle (I think I spelled that wrong). If that's not at the store and I have checked several places then I use other shade that are similar at that point I look a boxes and think. But Intense Red Copper is my favorite. Though this is probably a rediculous way to explain it I will anyway. I want my hair to be the color of Kate Winslet's in Titanic, and it usually is
Would love to see pics Grant Fan! (or did I miss them?)

My formula (before I went crazy and dyed it brunette:eusa_doh: ), was Pravana 7.45 (copper red) at the roots with 20 vol. (30 if I'm feeling extra frisky), and Scruples 8RR (red/red) with semi permanant developer on the ends. These are professional shades and I do it myself.
This summer:
3977586062_25266ced83.jpg

3976829555_9bb59c22a0.jpg

Just remember girls, what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. If you don't have the same natural hair color, or other underlying colors, what might work well on one gal may not work for you.

If you red is fading extremely fast, your hair may be too porous; over processed; dry. You might be using color that is too strong for your ends. Once your hair has been lightened enough throughout the ends, there is no need to use high volume developer there. The color will have nothing to "hold on to" and will rinse out quickly.

On the flip side, perhaps you are only using a semi permanant color, yet it is so close to your natural shade that you only see the red for a short period of time... you may want to take the plunge and go permanant.

Christy

One of the Regulars
This thread makes me miss my red hair. :( I've been trying to get rid of the red in my hair for the past year but it's sticking. The browns I've changed to still have a red tint to it. I've been a lighter red-brown and now I'm almost black-brown. I wanted to be more of a brown-brown. I'm now contemplating red again, I like Joan Holloway's red, or now something like Ohairas'.

My fiance always gets upset with me for changing my hair. He asks "Why do you always have to change it, I want you to keep it one color." Well, it's because I can't find a color that I love!

Anyway here are a couple pictures of my red hair. It's a mixture of pravana reds. I also had thinner eyebrows then.

RedHair.jpg

RedHair2.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
this is a lovely red on you Christy! go for it (but i am biased and my hair is crayola crayon red ;)

Tell your boyfriend that as long as that hair is on your head it can be any color you like ;) then give him a kiss for being a silly boy.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Oiharas and C-dot, you girls have just my right shades of copper.
I am really up for dying it, i dont care what the boyfriend thinks, i do what i want and i feel a change of look coming in hehehe;)

Christy

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
this is a lovely red on you Christy! go for it (but i am biased and my hair is crayola crayon red ;)

Tell your boyfriend that as long as that hair is on your head it can be any color you like ;) then give him a kiss for being a silly boy.

Thanks Inky!

lol He always complains that I change it too much. So I asked him what his favorite was and he says "I like them all" he eventually said the red was his favorite. I always tell him I'm going to go blonde and his eyes get big and he says No! Silly boys!

I think it's my hairstylist that might kill me if I tell her I want to go back to red. lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
What is it about men? You change too much, they don't like it. You don't change at all, they want something different! lol

If my guy didn't like my hair, I couldn't care less! He says my red hair is his favourite, which is quite nice, since I am naturally red. I just enhance my tones with some copper.

Christy, I think you look smashing with either colour. Tell your FDH you'll shave your head, and see his reaction then! Lorena, you would be a babe either way, too!

Christy

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
What is it about men? You change too much, they don't like it. You don't change at all, they want something different! lol

If my guy didn't like my hair, I couldn't care less! He says my red hair is his favourite, which is quite nice, since I am naturally red. I just enhance my tones with some copper.

Christy, I think you look smashing with either colour. Tell your FDH you'll shave your head, and see his reaction then! Lorena, you would be a babe either way, too!

lol That sounds like a guy! We went to my mom's today and I was telling her I was thinking about changing my hair color. She thinks I should keep the dark color and that I remind her of Elizabeth Taylor, I'll take that compliment! lol But she does like auburn colored hair. I think I'll stay dark a little while longer and see what I think. I'm always so indecisive, maybe that's what drives my guy crazy.lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
lolly_loisides said:
I'm normally a cheapskate when it comes to hair colouring, but this time I bit the bullet & went to the hairdressers. I think it turned out quite nicely (please excuse non vintage 'do).

Rawr is right, you look like a sultry tiger! Same beautiful tone, too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner