Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When do you abandon your panama for felt?

When do you switch from Panama to felt?

• Labor Day (or some other particular date).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As soon as it is cool enough to wear felt.

• I wear my felt hats year 'round.

• I wear my Panama hats year 'round.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
As the Fall is approaching, I'm curious to know when the Fedora Loungers put away their panamas and start wearing their felt fedoras.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I don't give a straw about the Straw Hat Day pattern. I wear a felt hat or a straw hat whenever I feel like it.

I think I'm rational enough to detect when a day is too hot or too cold for one or the other. No "pattern" can tell me what the weather will be like on a particular day.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This being New England, all summer clothes, for the most part, go away after Labor Day weekend. This includes hats. Of course, today in Waltham, where I work, it is 53 degrees.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Thank goodness for compromise. :)

With fellows like you around, you learn to put in disclaimers. ;)
Imagine next week, I post a pic of myself on the roofdeck in a guayabera and cargo shorts; these words would come back to haunt me. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
This being New England, all summer clothes, for the most part, go away after Labor Day weekend. This includes hats. Of course, today in Waltham, where I work, it is 53 degrees.
53 degrees?! Brrr! We'll hit 95 again today. That's why I voted for straw year 'round. Like Marc said, there is no real way to tell what hat will be more appropriate out here. Hence my search for the English Patient straw. Marc, head over to that thread and put in some suggestions!

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I don’t own a panama, but I break out the felt as soon as it’s cool enough to wear it, around mid to late October. It’s still in the high 90’s here.

When it’s that hot out all the fashion rules go right out the window.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some panamas are too hot (dense weave) to wear on a
hot summer day. Even in the SF Bay Area we sometimes
have a winter day that appears to be reliably dry but plenty cold.
Our summer can extend well into October, too, so the Labor
Day rule isn't too helpful.

Similarly, we have cold summer days and some of my felts
are cooler than some of my panamas. So felt year 'round.

Now if only I could solve the need for storage that is easier
to access than hat boxes, so I could get to any of my hats...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
feltfan said:
Now if only I could solve the need for storage that is easier
to access than hat boxes, so I could get to any of my hats...

yeah- we need somebody to start making hat boxes that are solid on the top and have one side drop down, so that when stacked, the hats are still accessable. There'd have to be corner bracing to maintain their rigidity when stacked, but I think somebody should do it if they already haven't.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
No particular date for me. Now it's cold some days and warm others. I'll wear the felt when it's under 70 degrees or so.

It's kind of funny, but I've been missing my fur felts the last several months, so I'm happy to be wearing them again...KC

Boroparkpyro

New in Town
There was also <a href="http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11618">this thread</a> not that long ago.

Anyway, i don't actually have a felt hat (but will probably have one soon when it arrives in the mail), so i can't actually answer this poll at the moment. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran