Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Is Your Birthday?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
June 14th 1968.

This is Flag Day, my favorite obscure holiday. My grandpa always used to tell me that they put the flags out for me when I was a little girl.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
January 20, 1983.

I don´t know of any events of historic importance on that date, but Audrey Hepburn (my favourite actress of all times) died exactly on my tenth birthday.

Novella

Practically Family
Recently some new friends I made guessed my birthday as 1983, but nope. It's September 13, 1986.

It's fun to occasionally have a Friday the 13th birthday.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Feburary 19th 1984, the year of Orwellian doom, and according to the Chinese astrology system I'm a Rat, but nobody can prove nuthin. ;)

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Viola said:
Feburary 19th 1984, the year of Orwellian doom, and according to the Chinese astrology system I'm a Rat, but nobody can prove nuthin. ;)

Well, I have learned that in accordance to the Chinese zodiac I´m a pig...which came as a great surprise, of course. ;)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
April 14th,1987- the day that most disasters seem wont to happen. There is an upside though, I share the birthday with this lovely lady:
1306-1.jpg

Claire Windsor

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
On November 18...

1307: William Tell shot an apple off his son's head.
1477: William Caxton publishes the first book printed in England.
1626: St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome is dedicated.
1793: The Louvre officially opens in Paris.
1805: Lewis and Clark reach Pacific Ocean.
1820: Captain Nathaniel Palmer discovers Antarctica.
1861: Poet and abolitionist Julia Ward Howe writes "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" after witnessing a skirmish between Union and Confederate troops.
1883: The United States adopts four standard time zones.
1894: First Sunday newspaper color comics published.
1902: The first teddy bear is named after President Theodore Roosevelt.
1909: Songwriter Johnny Mercer is born in Savannah, Georgia.
1913: The first airplane loop-the-loop is performed over San Diego.
1928: Mickey Mouse makes his film debut in "Steamboat Willie," the first animated talking picture.
1929: Dr. Vladimir K. Zworykin demonstrates the first all-electronic TV receiver.
1936: The main span of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is joined.
1942: Thornton Wilder's "Skin of our Teeth" premieres in NYC.
1963: Bell Telephone introduces the Touch-Tone phone.
1966 (The Year of Fletch): U.S. Roman Catholic bishops do away with the rule against eating meat on Fridays.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Veteran's Day, 1959

AKA Remembrance Day and originally here in the US as Armistice Day.

One of the things that impressed me about the UK was the fact that they still take Remembrance Day very seriously, with most people wearing poppies in the days leading to and on the day, and the two minute silence that falls at 11:00 virtually everywhere.

My great aunt often gave me flags for my birthday. My favorite story of hers is about Armistice Day. She was a nurse, working in a maternity ward when news arrived that the Great War was over. She was holding two babies in her arms when she heard the news, taking them to their parents. She was so excited that she gave the babies to the wrong parents! The switch was especially amusing because one family was black and the other white.

Cheers,
Tom

cneil

Familiar Face
May 30th, Nineteen Hundred and Sixty Four

I was born on a Warm, Sunny Day in May, the Dogers where playing and it went long into overtime. The Date was the 30th and the Year 1964.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
June 11, 1950.

I share that birthday with Bob Hope, Jacques Cousteau, Joe Montana, Vince Lombardi, Frank Beard of ZZ Top fame, F1 driver Jackie Stewart and actors Gene Wilder, Hugh Laurie (House), Tab Hunter, Chad Everett and Adrienne Barbeau.

Unfortunately John Wayne passed away on my birthday in 1979, as did DeForest Kelly in 1999 and David Brinkley in 2003.

Wikipedia has interesting complilations of births and deaths for specific dates.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No foolin'. Besides Mr. Mercer, I now know i share a birthday with Carl Maria von Weber, W. S. Gilbert, Eugene Ormandy, Hank Ballard, and one of the guys in Metallica. So being a musician was in the cards all along.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
"That was a very good year."

April 17, 1935. I am too tired to check out who shares that day with me, but I just know there are some people of note. OK, I had a little inspiration so checked out the date. Can't find anyone, but I did find this:

April 16 - Fibber McGee and Molly debuts on NBC Radio. :eusa_clap

April 17 - Sun Myung Moon claims to have a revelation from Jesus telling him to complete his mission from almost 2000 years ago. :eek:

Oh, well, I............

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
July 10th, 1959. I was the first baby born Kodiak, Alaska after statehood, six days earlier (small place). Somewhere in my effects is a letter of congratulations from the Governor. On my birthday itself it seems that all potential newsmakers were taking the day off.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Wow, so many REALLY young people here...I have underwear older than some of you squirts!!! (honestly, I think I do...).

Everybody here is either much younger than I am, or much older.

Feb. 8, 1971.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner