Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

when you dress in Vintage do you also think & act, talk like they did from the era?

green papaya

One Too Many
to fully get into vintage I think you also need to have the same thinking, behavior, mannerisms, talk, etc the same as a person from that era to fully look the part

no modern slang or anything, only old fashioned manners and etiquette, morals, etc

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
No, I don't try to: it comes naturally, no matter what I wear. Given that my mother was raised in (then) old-fashioned countries --France and Brazil-- by old-fashioned French parents, and that my father was brought up by his Victorian-era grandparents, I was raised to adopt the Golden Era manners and mannerisms of my folks.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
As far as I'm concerned, it's just a style, a design aesthetic I like- they're just clothes. I'm not in costume, I'm not playing a part.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Ditto. I like to think i was brought up to think, act and behave with decorum and good manners anyway regardless of what i'm wearing.

My posture has improved from wearing vintage full time though. I have also noticed myself being much more graceful and elegant in my movement and mannerisms, if that makes sense.

Edward

Bartender
Adopting a vintage clothing style has impacted on me indirectly. I don't speak, act or think differently in the main, though it has taught me a few lessons.... for one, I no longer feel a knee-jerk, judgemental attitude towards kids with a hip hop look, because they're very often the first to compliment me on my appearance. That sort of thing does make you think. Dinerman puts it best, though -it's neither a costume nor a role, so I don't feel any compulsion to behave differently. They're simply my clothes.

rue

Another ditto.

People have always told me that I have an aura about me that speaks of another time, even before I started wearing vintage and my clothes just seem to compliment that.

I will say though that there were all kinds of people back then as there are now. For example, everyone wasn't just like Grace Kelly and Cary Grant as portrayed in their movie roles, not even the two of them were really like that.

green papaya

One Too Many
I attended a historical living history event at the Empire mine in northern, Ca and the people that were dressed in Victorian era clothing, were so accurate in the period style clothing, behavior, knowlege of the day that it felt like I just went through a time machine, and if you asked them a question that was later than the time frame they were representing they pretended they knew nothing of what you were talking about since it never happened as far as they were concerned.

it reminded me of an episode from the TWILIGHT ZONE

I attended a historical living history event at the Empire mine in northern, Ca and the people that were dressed in Victorian era clothing, were so accurate in the period style clothing, behavior, knowlege of the day that it felt like I just went through a time machine, and if you asked them a question that was later than the time frame they were representing they pretended they knew nothing of what you were talking about since it never happened as far as they were concerned.

it reminded me of an episode from the TWILIGHT ZONE

Willowby, Willowby Station next!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've often thought it might be fun to pull a time-travel hoax. Given the way people swallowed up that "Time Traveling Hipster" foolishness a couple years ago it wouldn't be hard to do -- it's not hard to find accurate reproductions of period ID documents and period currency is as close as your nearest coin shop. Equip yourself with such things, dress carefully, and wander into a newspaper office looking bewildered -- and see how far you can lead them on.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've often thought it might be fun to pull a time-travel hoax. Given the way people swallowed up that "Time Traveling Hipster" foolishness a couple years ago it wouldn't be hard to do -- it's not hard to find accurate reproductions of period ID documents and period currency is as close as your nearest coin shop. Equip yourself with such things, dress carefully, and wander into a newspaper office looking bewildered -- and see how far you can lead them on.

lol

Oh my; this would be really delicious! I suggest the next time a number of us attend a FL event, we should all make it a point to pull one of these off.

To respond to the OP, I wear clothing, not a costume. The only roles I play are gender roles. (although I'm often asked if I'm in a play...:eusa_doh:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
lol

Oh my; this would be really delicious! I suggest the next time a number of us attend a FL event, we should all make it a point to pull one of these off.

Some of us have already done something similar at past Queen Mary gatherings. As you may know, the ship has a reputation for being 'haunted' -- a reputation that the QM's owners heartily encourage (and make money from).

Very late at night, some of us --dressed to the vintage nines-- have silently strolled along the ship's more secluded sections: decks, stateroom hallways, etc. I kid you not: several people who saw us actually thought that we were ghosts, and reacted as such.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
to fully get into vintage I think you also need to have the same thinking, behavior, mannerisms, talk, etc the same as a person from that era to fully look the part

no modern slang or anything, only old fashioned manners and etiquette, morals, etc
Hi

I'm half way through Raymond Chandler's "The Simple Art of Murder" and based no his portrayal of Los Angeles in the 1930's, they have period slang, period manners and etiquette, but MORALS??? I know it's a detective NOVEL, but no one in the book has morals and I"m about half way through. That might be a little off topic, but it just caught me as funny.

Another observation, it would take a Month or so to work on the slang. I think I'll go through and find a few of the more interesting ones. Gat for pistol is one, but I'd heard that one before.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff