Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I get................

Edward

Bartender
Akubra Federation or similar should have similar proportions, to my eye at least, though you'd have to retrofit a deeper ribbon...

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Well, that's a movie still, isn't it? Pardon my ignorance, I'm not into contemporary movies.
Looks like a heavily photoshopped or whatnot-processed image, so the actual felt color might be different. The color we see here looks like a pastel mid green shade, almost jade. Never saw a hat in this color, I guess it would be very hard to find one even similar to it. Sage greens are seen more frequently.

The only solution that comes to mind (also considering that you want to replicate the other specs) would be to contact Bob at Black Sheep Hatworks and have him custom-dye a felt for you. He's the only hatter I know of who does offer custom dyeing.
The standard Winchester felts would be no help if you really want to replicate the color just as seen in the image. The only lighter green from Winchester is light sage (Art Fawcett/VS has it), which is lighter than what this image shows.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hat looks green to my eye. But that could be the lighting. Reminded me of this Disney Twenty I have. Would have to mess around with the crease more to get it closer.

B

disney_twenty_1.jpg

disney_twenty_2.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I would have suggested Bob Jesse as well. He can dye a body to the colour and also dye the ribbon to match as well.

Are there any other pics around of the hat? I'm like Rabbit, I don't know the movie (or the guy) so I can't search for more myself.

It is hard to see from the posted image, but the hat has a Cavanagh Edge or maybe an overwelt brim. It is very similar to Bill's D20.

green-L.jpg

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
It's Jimmy from Boardwalk Empire. Googled up 2 other pics of him in this hat. They are all the same picture of him, cut and pasted into different shots.

B

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, B. That explains why the filename is jimmyb.jpg :)

Same guy? Same hat? Looks more green without the filters applied.

green2-L.jpg

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
That is a still...but, from an HBO series called Boardwalk Empire--I just finished watching the first season yesterday. Great hat show! Jimmy's lid looks pretty similar to the Disney Twenty posted above. You can't tell from the still posted above, but, the crease is not a c crown--its a center dent. I was also happy to see the character Al Capone FINALLY traded a newsboy cap for a fedora!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, B. That explains why the filename is jimmyb.jpg :)

Same guy? Same hat? Looks more green without the filters applied.

On the picture posted by David the shade of green does look more, uhm, normal. :) Very much like moss green.
Typical green shades for men's fedoras are the moss (among the darker shades) and the sage greens (among the lighter shades). The pic posted by David looks like a moss green; Buler's Disney Twenty is more of a sage green.
Here's a late 40s Stetson RD Vogue in a similar shade of sage green, although the dimension specs are nothing like the hat in question.

StetsonVogue-sage.jpg

VS Dark Moss:

P1070556.jpg

From what I've heard, the Boardwalk Empire crew wears vintage hats on the set, so it might very well be a cav edge as David pointed out.

Last edited:
I know Gary White has made a number of hats for Boardwalk Empire, though I don't know if they were for principal characters. I would think Gary or Art Fawcett could get you close. The final rumple might take a few years of wear. Or there is... ebay.

Edward

Bartender
Ah, tis green.... I was thinking grey.... Yeah, you'll probably have to go custom then. Might be worth looking at the Akubra Squatter, I've seen that in a darker green that looks closer to the daylight shot DJH posted. Love the wide binding on the hats Rabbit posted.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Thank you one and all!!
Yes indeed, Jimmys hat in the best drama series ever, Boardwalk Empire! As soon as I saw him in that hat, I loved it! The colour in particular captivated me!
I shall keep looking and hoping to find one in 7 1/8 UK size :D

Again, many thanks to everyone for their input and suggestion. ;)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, custom. Many if not most movie and TV hats seem to be custom-made, so it's useless to search for the commercial market equivalent, although you might get close. The exception is in Westerns of the 50s and 60s, and 50s film noir, where variations of Open Road hats seemed to stand in for a lot of different cavalry and other cowboy hats. Orson Welles seemed to wear an Open Road or clone in "A Touch of Evil," where he was an evil Texas sheriff.

This hat looks to me to be vintage. I know a lady who owns a vintage shop in my area (Maryland) that has sold some old hats to the BE wardrobe department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran