Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you come from???

jpdesign

Vendor
Jimmy Pierce, 27, a custom hatter.

Born in Austin, Currently in Fort Worth. I have lived in London and Orlando, But most of my time has been spent in Texas. I got my BFA in Theatrical Design at TCU and started making hats as a Job in college, it has served me better than the theater. I also design and make jewelry, modify clothing, paint, photograph, and can build or design with most material(wood, metal, plastics, fabrics, stone)

Jimmy

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
My name is Chris. I'm 42, married and live in Brooklyn. Despite holding an MA in history, I work in Manhattan for a large financial services company.

I've been wearing bowties and saddle shoes since college. I also love hats which is what brought me to this site.

I love comic novels, particularly those of P.G. Wodehouse and Evelyn Waugh. I also collect Old Time Radio programs. My favorites are The Great Gildersleeve and Jack Benny.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi everyone -

I'm Mike, I'm 47 and live in Renton (suburban Seattle - 10 miles due east of the airport) with my partner of 17 years who finds my like of all things retro to be amusing at times, incomprehensible at others but completely agrees a fedora definitely suits me. More often that not, I'm using a fountain pen, and have several. I was born & raised in Long Beach, CA. We moved north 10-1/2 years ago and haven't regretted it for a second. I do bookkeeping & taxes (self-employed and work at home) to pay the bills, do some writing & web design for fun, usually with 30's-40's music going in the background. Interests include film noir & film in general, cooking & entertaining, reading mysteries, gardening and I'm "the Halloween nut" in the neighborhood. At times, like the other habitues of RetoLounge, I wish I were living in the 30's and 40's - like in a Nick & Nora movie perhaps.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
Hi everyone -

I'm Mike, I'm 47 and live in Renton (suburban Seattle . At times, like the other habitues of RetoLounge, I wish I were living in the 30's and 40's - like in a Nick & Nora movie perhaps.

Hi Mike!
Waving from down the road!
~~~Barbigirl

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
G. Fink-Nottle said:
My name is Chris. I'm 42, married and live in Brooklyn. Despite holding an MA in history, I work in Manhattan for a large financial services company.

I've been wearing bowties and saddle shoes since college. I also love hats which is what brought me to this site.

I love comic novels, particularly those of P.G. Wodehouse and Evelyn Waugh. I also collect Old Time Radio programs. My favorites are The Great Gildersleeve and Jack Benny.

Gussie! Show us your newts!

Gildy and Jack are also two of my favorites. For those who also love Old Time Radio, there are a couple of websites that sell them on MP3 discs. You can buy a hundred episodes, in the order they were broadcast, for about $6.00.

As for me, I lived in Manhattan for fifteen years, and now live with the wife and son in the land of Rob and Laura Petrie...just 45 minutes from Broadway!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
My name is Legion….

I am far older than I feel, but it beats being dead…..

I am English, from Lancashire, raised near Oxford, and now living in the West Yorkshire/Lancashire border country, up a hillside, in a valley, surrounded by woodland.

I was a professional historian but quit academia many moons ago to be a full time single dad. I always meant to jump back in but by the time my boy was old enough I was soundly esconced in a new career of musician and WW2 aviation/1930s-50s vintage dealer.

Many of the things I do and like drop me straight into the 1930-55 era. The clothes, the music, the films, the history…though as a historian my speciality was crime and social unrest in the late 18th/early 19th centuries.

I have played many instruments…..these days mostly the fiddle, though I was a good blues/bluegrass guitar player once, and indeed, world champion Border Piper three years running! (the Border Bagpipe is perhaps the most obscure of the various British isles bagpipes so there wasn’t a lot of competition).

I have played many styles of music, but have always had a particular thing on 1930s-50s era music, especially string jazz, Western Swing, Hillbilly Boogie/Honky Tonk, the 1930s big bands (the Duke, Fletcher Henderson…) and hot ‘n’ jumpin’ R&B. I am also fairly obsessive about English and Scottish vernacular music (PLEASE don’t call it “folk music”) especially fiddle and pipe music from the from the 1650-1850 era.

I have a massive collection of recorded music but my pride and joy are my hundreds of 78s which I have collected somewhat intermittently since the late 60s. Now we have Ebay and you could assemble a collection like mine in a few months……you’d pay a lot more though, and get squinty eyes and a bad back in the process.

I wear vintage clothes all the time and have done for most of my adult life. Actually, as I was born in 1949 and started wearing vintage in my teens and early 20s I guess I can claim to have worn vintage clothing ALL my life. Though I used to mix and match it with modern until sometime in the early 80s…it was round about then it slowly dawned on me I just wasn’t wearing anything modern any more except for underwear and socks.

I have a particular sub-interest in vintage leather jackets, going back to my hoodlum youth, and hats….not sure where that started, probably a way of identifying with the older musicians I admired when all my peers were going hatless in the 60s and 70s and listening to crap....

I have had a thing on Golden Era films since we first got a telly back in 1962. I soon realized old films were the only things worth watching. TV hasn’t changed in that respect.

I have gone on too long.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle said:
Hi Barbigirl -

Waving right back atcha! What part of Kent? Assuredly, not the parts that John Keister used to always be picking on! <G> He took a few shots at Renton as well.

Dang Mike, talk about the old days. :) Keister and Company used to rip every area equally on Almost Live... not to mention the hilarious antics of Be Like Billy, High Fivin' White Guys, and Speedwalker episodes. Man, I miss that show!

Sorry for the temporary hijack... back to the topic.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
See? That's why I love this place! As I learned at the QM, everyone here is so interesting, and I wish I could sit and have a drink with everybody.

As for me, I'm John. I'm a Midwesterner originally, but followed the crowd to California (and got here just in time for the housing price boom). I grew up in Michigan (Ann Arbor) and Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh), though I've never lived anywhere for more than about 5 years, on average.

I'm an archaeologist, and got my MA at Ball State University, in Indiana. My BA is in English and Lit, and I have a couple AAs, one in Aerospace History and one in Meterorology. I'm currently working on my last (probably; hopefully?) degree, my PhD in Public History. I've also been in the military for 22 years, 5 in the Marine Corps, 4 in the Navy Reserves, and the last 14 in the Air National Guard.

My interests? Hmmm. Beer. Anything to do with the desert. Tin Pan Alley jazz. Africa. Anything that smacks of adventure, but includes cold beer at some point. 'Scuse me, gotta go grab another Newcastle.

By the way, Speily, you really call it "Little Rhody"? See here. Sorry! I thought that was made up or soemthing!

16_sparrows

Vendor
AtomicBlonde said:
Hey there! are you going to SCAD? I'm considering going there for my masters in Historic Preservation! I've considered coming down for one of their open houses... I keep getting stuff in the mail and I'm tempted.

-Jess

I went to SCAD for my undergrad and am returning to complete my MFA. I would highly suggest it for Historic Preservation - great program. Savannah is a city that is constantly conserving and refurbishing buildings so it would be a dream for any preservationist.

marquise said:
I'm new (to posting, at least) as well. :)

I sing '30s-'40s jazz in a cafe across the street from my circa 1923 apartment...

Marquise, I'm glad to see you here on the FL. I love your posts on Live Journal (I'm punching_isis there). Where do sing? It's been so long since I was last in Savannah, I would love to know any good jazz places.

J

jp*81

Hello;)
My name is Amber.
I am a 24 year old housewife. I have a 2 year old daughter her name is Naomi. I was a Computer Tech in the Marine Corps for 5 years. I absolutely adore the Roaring Twenties, Golden Era and Fabulous Forties women and anything to do with vintage makeup, hair, nails, etc. I have been interested since high school when I used to go to Ska shows:cool2:.

:cheers1: Mojave Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot