Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy a Down Vest?

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Gents,
For next winter I am looking for a good down vest (bodywarmer). I've heard about a Canadian brand who makes excellent vest, but forgot the name...
This time I don't want to buy a China copy, but an US or Canadian made vest.
Any idea's?
Thanks,
Andy

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Andy;

I'd like to talk you out of the down vest and persuade you to look at a Filson virgin wool vest. Tell you why....if I'm preaching to the choir tell me to shut up. Down is too bulky, too fragile(with the typical nylon or synthetic outer covering) and is useless when damp or wet, not to mention it takes forever to dry.
Wool still gives off satisfactory insulation when damp or wet, is stealthfully quiet and is warm as toast.
Don't get me wrong, down for a sleeping bag or a pillow or if weight while packing in is a concern, down can't be beat. But living where you do with very damp winters, I would go with wool.
The Filson garments are made extremely well and will last a long time but are very expensive.
Just my 2 Euros.

Regards, coffee

Regards, coffee

Navin323i

Practically Family
andy richards said:
Hi Gents,
For next winter I am looking for a good down vest (bodywarmer). I've heard about a Canadian brand who makes excellent vest, but forgot the name...
Any idea's?
Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm not sure what Canadian brand you're thinking of but I know my older brother likes the down vests made by Patagonia (not sure what country this company is from but I hear it's a reputable brand).

Good luck, bro. Do let us know if you wind up remembering the Canadian brand you were thinking of. :)

Navin

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I'm totally with Coffee.
Wool works when wet or soaked with sweat.
Plus, it's much thinner than down and will fit under more outer garments than a down vest.
The Filson Vest I bought is one of my all time favorite pieces of clothing, very versatile.
Plus, the black/grey check pattern looks killer.
Finally, if you've never seen Filson's heavy wool clothing, it looks like it'll last thru a nuclear blast, or with every day wear until your great great great great great grandchildren are very old.
Lenny

too much coffee said:
Hi Andy;

I'd like to talk you out of the down vest and persuade you to look at a Filson virgin wool vest. Tell you why....if I'm preaching to the choir tell me to shut up. Down is too bulky, too fragile(with the typical nylon or synthetic outer covering) and is useless when damp or wet, not to mention it takes forever to dry.
Wool still gives off satisfactory insulation when damp or wet, is stealthfully quiet and is warm as toast.
Don't get me wrong, down for a sleeping bag or a pillow or if weight while packing in is a concern, down can't be beat. But living where you do with very damp winters, I would go with wool.
The Filson garments are made extremely well and will last a long time but are very expensive.
Just my 2 Euros.

Regards, coffee

Regards, coffee

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks for all your input, guys.
I never tought about a Filson vest... Considering your input I will use a vest for a lot of climbing and walking, a woolen vest might be better. Or, like Filson says: "Might as well have the best"... I already own two great hats and two bags from the Filson brand. These are incredibly sturdy and well build. Quite expensive too, but will sure last for a lifetime and have a great look also.
Will let you know which vest I will choose!
Thanks,
Andy

Rabbithunter

New in Town
If you're looking for a good warm to weight ratio I would go for a down vest. They are lightweight, easy to stow and put a lot of insulation on your body. One of the best would be a vest from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Those are specialized in high quality sleeping bags and use good feathers. These Vests have a somewhat flimsy outer material though and tear quite fast if you use them in harsh conditions.
If you want something sturdy the Filson vest would be an excellent choice.

Ulrich

andy richards

Practically Family
PeterO said:
This might be what you are looking for www.canada-goose.com

Thanks Peter,
Yes this was the vest I initial was looking for.
Still like them, but I am afraid to tear the outer fabric when hiking through forest and fields. Also I will be wearing a backpack, and maybe the straps will wear also on the fabric. Thanks for your input :) .
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
apba1166 said:
There's always this...http://stylecrave.com/2009-11-29/joe-mccoy-down-vest/

I have an LL Bean down vest. It's light, warm, inexpensive (I got mine new on the 'bay) and unless it's a drenching downpour or you are all day in rain, resists rain pretty well.

Nice style vest, sure a classy 60 - 70's look. Works good when riding a horse I think. Considering when I will use a vest, a Filson will probably be best and last longer...
Thanks,
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
Rabbithunter said:
If you're looking for a good warm to weight ratio I would go for a down vest. They are lightweight, easy to stow and put a lot of insulation on your body. One of the best would be a vest from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Those are specialized in high quality sleeping bags and use good feathers. These Vests have a somewhat flimsy outer material though and tear quite fast if you use them in harsh conditions.
If you want something sturdy the Filson vest would be an excellent choice.

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,
Yes the Filson will fit my needs best. Thanks for all your input, guys.
Andy

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
andy richards said:
I am afraid to tear the outer fabric when hiking through forest and fields. Also I will be wearing a backpack, and maybe the straps will wear also on the fabric.
CG are expedition outfitters; their stuff will take anything you can hand out. They make the best made outdoor wear I've ever seen. Contact them and they help you choose the vest that best fits your needs.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I agree that CG is quite sturdy, however if you are going to wear a backpack with it, I would rather not go for down. Wool is definitely a high tech material, it's just we tend to forget this because it's been around for so long.
Finally, I can also recommend primaloft vests. they are much thinner than down but almost as warm (certainly warmer than wool), there is nothing inside that can be harmed by weight and they are much lighter and packable than wool.

"PrimaLoft is not as lightweight as goose down, however it is soft, warm, breathable and water resistant. Most importantly, it retains insulating capabilities even when wet, and is thus used in cold weather clothing, gloves, sleeping bags and footwear as well as pillows and comforters.[2] PrimaLoft One has the highest warmth-to-weight ratio of any synthetic insulation currently on the market. It is also the most expensive synthetic to manufacture.[3]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PrimaLoft

Almost all major outdoor brands will have primaloft products in their lineup.

Regardless of this Western Mountaineering has a full line of outdoor clothing made in the USA and Canada: http://www.westernmountaineering.co...n Garments&cat=Jackets and Vests&ContentId=61

andy richards

Practically Family
Gee guys, I didn't know there were so many differents fabrics and styles.
Never heard about PrimaLoft, seems it is a sturdy material.
I have done now quite some homework, so now it is time to do some shopping and field test it. Comparing everything, I think it will be a Filson vest...
Thanks for all your help,
Andy

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Sorry Andy, although you've already set your sights on the Filson, there is one last recommendation I must make:

Empire Canvas Works
http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/jackpinevest.htm

is a tiny outfit from Duluth MN, but they sure know their trade. Great people making dead serious outdoor gear out of materials that won't be found at TNF.

I've got some of their stuff and can't believe how well it performs in most adverse alpine conditions.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
"Where to buy a Down Vest?"

2683_pd2100969_1.jpg

budrichard

Familiar Face
Down or other syn down is NOT for strenuous activity that produces a lot of sweat at sea level. The sweat will soak the down and render its insulating qualities useless no matter what the outside temperature. Now 28K', that's another story because the vapor pressure is much lower and sweat more readily evaporates which is why down is used for high altitude mountaineering.
Filson wool vests are very nice, warm, but not as warm as a down vest BUT will insulate when wet. I have one.
Patagonia vests are either made off shore or in China but are very good whether down or syn material, I have several. CC makes very good down clothing and certainly your comfort if not your life is a greater consideration than wear and tear on equipment.
So, chose what style of activity your plan on doing and then its a no-brainer as to material. Down/syn for low level activity or high altitude, wool for high activity level at normal altitudes.-Dick

oscar Leather

Vendor
did you see these vests

andy richards said:
Hi Gents,
Any idea's?
Thanks,
Andy
Hi:
did you see these vest in cowhide leather:
http://www.oscarleatherjackets.com/men/men-leather-vests.html
regards

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks for your replies, gents.
As I will be using the vest for activities such as hiking, climbing and even as an insulated layer between a shirt and a jacket I decided to buy a Filson wool vest. Will post some pics when it's here...
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk