Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Aero Leather is the softest of them all?!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Speed, I saw a thread where you were talking about it and said it's butter soft. Like a thick lambskin almost. Do you stand by that? Because that sounds pretty good. I'm surprised it doesn't get more play on here if that's the case. How has it aged for you? Have you noticed a smell like Harris mentions?

Yes I stand by what I said about this leather.

As other said, it marks easier than the Vicenza but it’s not horrible either.

As for the smell, I like it, it’s smell like leather :D but now I barely smell the odor when I wear my Shackleton.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Italian soft steer is really soft but only available in black. It's a popular choice for ladies' jackets because it has a very soft drape, which I think more women tend to prefer for the 'breaking-in' factor.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Broken in FQHH in 3.0 - 3.5 oz weight is plenty "soft" for me. That said, I don't buy these jackets for thier softness. I have found myself that the "feel" or hand of the steerhide is a little easier to get along with, at least once your body heat warms up the jacket. That is up to around 3.5 oz as well, after that, it's just "hard." My Storse Bootlegger, with is 4.5+ oz "FQHH" (but really Steerhide) just really never softens up, and even though it's over 5 years old and has Tons of grain and character, it's still a challenge to wear for long periods of time. (I still love it though) It's the jacket I have on in the avitar. Here's a Close up for your perusal:

IMG_4713.JPG

Edward

Bartender
The Italian soft steer is really soft but only available in black. It's a popular choice for ladies' jackets because it has a very soft drape, which I think more women tend to prefer for the 'breaking-in' factor.

Is that the stuff that they would have used for my Highwayman? (2012 Apprentice Made version, but has the blue label as it was made just before the Robin Hood label)? It's a lovely hide - steer, similar thickness to my FQHH jackets, but from the off a much softer drape; perfect for the HWM style, certainly that British 'rocker' drape. I'd definitely consider it again if I were to be looking into the 59er version.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG
My ( not Vincenza) Aero HH A-2 42- 15142-P, became butter-soft after three HWT and approx. 1 liter of Pecards vintage leather balm. In a few intensive wearing months no difference anymore with a WW2 issued Aero A-2 ...I guess...Can only recommend HWT's...

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Is that the stuff that they would have used for my Highwayman? (2012 Apprentice Made version, but has the blue label as it was made just before the Robin Hood label)? It's a lovely hide - steer, similar thickness to my FQHH jackets, but from the off a much softer drape; perfect for the HWM style, certainly that British 'rocker' drape. I'd definitely consider it again if I were to be looking into the 59er version.

I think it's a more recent batch, though it wouldn't surprise me if there had other earlier iterations of this type of leather.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The softness of the Vicenza depends heavily on the batch. I have a PHB from one of the first batches and even after a few years now it’s still pretty stiff, conversely I have a few other Vicenza jackets Navy, another Black, a seal and a cordovan and they are much much softer...

Have you thought about the alpaca wool or the Melton wool lining. I have one of each as a winter jacket and they are both pretty spot on for the “depths” of a Sydney winter without being too warm and only being useable for a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
The softness of the Vicenza depends heavily on the batch. I have a PHB from one of the first batches and even after a few years now it’s still pretty stiff, conversely I have a few other Vicenza jackets Navy, another Black, a seal and a cordovan and they are much much softer...

Have you thought about the alpaca wool or the Melton wool lining. I have one of each as a winter jacket and they are both pretty spot on for the “depths” of a Sydney winter without being too warm and only being useable for a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't looked into the other linings that much actually. I might do. Although - I do like something about quilting. It's such classic liner. Still leaning towards that, but will check out the others too.

Now I'm trying to make my mind up about chest pockets. I rarely if ever use them, but not having them...does it look kinda weird? I also don't think I like the asymmetry of just one chest pocket as is standard. I think it's either both sides, or none.

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
Shearling lined Highwayman in Blackened Brown, from the Thurston Bros Vicenza thread. I figured that it's along the lines of what you're looking at.

Ooo yeah it is. I'm waiting to receive some fur samples to decide on collar, but aesthetically, I'm leaning towards the Irvin wool. I like it to look like sheep wool; curly etc. And I like that golden natural colour; not too white, not too dark. Like in this thread.

Edward

Bartender
Now I'm trying to make my mind up about chest pockets. I rarely if ever use them, but not having them...does it look kinda weird? I also don't think I like the asymmetry of just one chest pocket as is standard. I think it's either both sides, or none.

Aero have made a fair few HWM jackets over the years with no chest pocket. The ones I've seen all had a chest yoke instead, at the height the pocket(s) would have been.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ooo yeah it is. I'm waiting to receive some fur samples to decide on collar, but aesthetically, I'm leaning towards the Irvin wool. I like it to look like sheep wool; curly etc. And I like that golden natural colour; not too white, not too dark. Like in this thread.

You might want to PM @dan_t he just sold/or is selling a shearling jacket. I'm pretty sure its because it was just too warm for Sydney weather to get any wear out of it...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It is one of those unfortunate facts of life is that some of the warmest jackets you can get and also some of the coolest looking ones. That Highwayman with the brown shearling is stunning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points