Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Aero Leather is the softest of them all?!

Graemsay

Practically Family
There's a Plainsman on Aero's sales page that's had its chest pocket deleted. A Highwayman won't look that much different.

Plainsman.jpg

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
There's a Plainsman on Aero's sales page that's had its chest pocket deleted. A Highwayman won't look that much different.

View attachment 90230

Yeah, there's also a Hercules, which doesn't have chest pockets obviously. I guess I'm just undecided. I mean, what are the pros of not having them? Maybe that part of the jacket is softer and more malleable because it doesn't have the hard zips and leather seams...? Makes it a tiny bit easier to move maybe? Hmm.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I have a cafe racer without chest pockets, it looks good. The lack of pockets simplifies the look, although I kept the hand warmers.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Here's a Board Racer that was up for sale, which lost the chest pockets. I'd agree with @dubpynchon that it's a good look.

Board Racer.jpg

I don't like single chest pockets, and have deleted them from jackets in the past. In fact, my old Hercules (since sold) looked better for losing it.

However, I'd be tempted to get a pair as an alternative to internal pockets, particularly on a slim fitting jacket.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I have a Royale on order in the battered seal steerhide. I tried one on in the showroom (too large) and though I can't compare it to the Vicenza it was definitely as soft, light and flexible as you could want. As far as insulation goes, it is the lining that really counts. In my experience there is surprsingly little difference in insulation between different weights, thicknesses and types of leather.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
True, I find leather useless once the temperature goes down to single figures, then it’s time to break out the B-3. I have a heavy tartan lining on a Cheyenne and I find it doesn’t make much difference when it’s cold. This could be me though, I’m a bit of a wuss when it comes to the cold. Alpaca would be a good alternative to shearling though, and you’d be able to wear it for more of the year than shearling.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112