Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Boater would you buy??

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Here is two boater Straws from two company's

First Baron Hats. 3.5 inch crown Brim 3 inch's Cost $82.00 Shipping $22.63 {A rip off to me} Total $104.63

http://baronhats.com/straw_boater.htm

Top Hatter Co.
Hat Two. 4 inch crown. So the crown is a 1/2 taller brim is the same 3 inches. Cost $79.95 shipping $10.50 total $90.45

http://www.top-hats.com/2629.htm

It not so much the price I do hate sellers that rip you off on shipping charges.

I want the best Boater. Main difference is 1/2 in the crown and price.

Both hats are made in Italy and I like both ribbons.

Which would you choose.??? I could use your help!! :)
Thanks,

Sharpey

android

One of the Regulars
I've look at Baron's before and looking into ordering one for my weird long oval head. They quoted back an astoundingly high price, even for a custom hat. Nonetheless, I like the look of the Baron's hat better.

The proportions of the Top Hat boater don't look right to me.

up196

A-List Customer
Choose wisely . . .

The hat pictured on the Baron Hats site has a 2" brim, so it technically is a skimmer. The boater on the Top Hats site has the 3" brim, and they also show a 2" brim skimmer for comparison.

My two are both skimmers; the 3" wide brim, to me, has a more 1900-1910 look, while the skimmer is more 1920s.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
up196 said:
The hat pictured on the Baron Hats site has a 2" brim, so it technically is a skimmer. The boater on the Top Hats site has the 3" brim, and they also show a 2" brim skimmer for comparison.

My two are both skimmers; the 3" wide brim, to me, has a more 1900-1910 look, while the skimmer is more 1920s.

On Baron hats on the right that boater has a 3 inch brim.

http://baronhats.com/straw_boater.htm

Top hats crown is 1/2 taller than Baron . They both have a 3 inch brim which I do want.

What do you think after looking again is the better Boater??

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Me?

I honestly wouldn't know a 'good' one from a mediochre one but they all seem to be $70+. From my limited knowledge, they don't seem like a 'quality' item, although they're not so cheap. They all seem to be about the same from what I can see- just go with the supplier you trust most.
-Wait 'til someone more knowledgable pipes up.
I can almost smell the hole that'sa burning in your pocket...

Of course there's
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14065&item=8180894188&rd=1

...but you're bigger than 7 1/4 aren't you.(?)

If I were you- I'd not invest 'til I invest-igated the style further-
but then I'm financially deprived and you seem more buoyant...

I'm talking crap now...
Enjoy your weekend!

BT.

up196

A-List Customer
Size and proportion

BellyTank said:
That one on the TopHats site is one WEIRD looking hat- doesn't look like either style- the proportion is lost... No?BT.
A boater in size 7 1/2 will look less out of proportion. When I went to buy mine, the boater on display was small, something like a 6 3/4, and it looked like the one on the Top Hats site.

When I go to Baron's site, the only picture that comes up is the skimmer at the top of the page. You might want to contact them both and ask who makes their hats. You may find out they are the same, even though they describe them differently as far as crown height.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wow, I never seen a boater with a polka dot ribbon before! That's hot stuff!

Any yeah, look at that bid, it's 39 bucks right now and there is still 5 days to go on it!

Root.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou