Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Old TV show do you remember the best?

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Chamorro said:
Amos 'n Andy.

I have all the existing television episodes on video tape and I will upgrade to DVD soon.

IMO, the funniest show that ever was. I can watch it over and over. Despite the controversy at the time, it was well written and acted, had a good, kind heart and was the first show to have a predominantly black cast. It even featured an episode which would have been considered to have a too heavily-handed Christian theme by today's standards.

When it was cancelled a lot of fine black actors had no work for years and years to come. Yet another misguided crusade by the NAACP.

ana-cast.jpg

I have to agree especially about the kind heartedness.

For me, a first generation Northerner living in the projects, later termed the ghetto, another important aspect was that it was life as I knew it, peopled by personalities whom I recognized, engaged in situations I witnessed, and all this transpired above that subtext of that sometimes sublime clash between the frequently pompous Southern civilities and the calculating cynicism of Northern sensibilities thereby reflecting my own coming of age experience as I navigated the world behind our door and the world outside our door.

IMHO:Amos and Andy was the best. I am glad to know the episodes are on tape.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The first television show I remember was called 'The Rough Riders', ("brought to you by 'Old Gold, Spin Filters!"). That had to be about 1958-59!

rough-riders-4.jpg
'The Rough Riders'

But, without a doubt, my all time favorite and most memorable was 'Combat!'. But I can't say favorite without mentioning 'Twelve O'clock High'.

I soured on T.V. programming with 'All In the Family'. I don't think I've ever watched any kind of serial program since. I watch a fair amount of T.V., but nothing ever got to me like that squad on 'Combat!'.

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy