Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Bucks

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone else wear white buck shoes? Now that it's officially okay to wear them....after Easter....there back on my feet. For a while they were hard to find. I guess the major brands quit selling them as the market for them appeared to be drying up. I stocked up several years ago and still have several unused pairs. But now in the past year I've noticed a comeback...although I have yet to see anyone but me wearing them. Last year the local paper took a photo of me after their lifestyle editor noticed me wearing them. I usually don't go out head to toe in vintage. I just like wearing them with blue jeans a vintage sport coat and tie and straw hat. My shoe size is 10 1/2, but a short time ago I bought a size 12 pair in a thrift store just because they were in such perfect condition...they're just just sitting in my closet if anyone wants to buy them.

android

One of the Regulars
I've got two pair. one plain and one with a saddle. Great for summer in hot & sunny Austin, TX.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have a vintage NOS pair I picked up somewhere, but it is size 11 or 11.5 or so and too big for my 10.5 feet unfortunately.

You are in Austin, android?

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Bucks

Yep,
One Vintage pair [with white rubber heels/soles], and one pair by Cole Haan from the 1990's. I replaced the Cole Haan's crepe soles/heels with oak leather. And they are gorgeous.
Tails Up!
SJ

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well or reet! White bucks, I sport them. A pair of dark blue Hollywood drapes and a nice light colored gab shirt put them together you have a sharp outfit fit for the dance floor.

I wear them out once in a wile but they sure get dirty quick!

Root.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear these also. They go great with seersucker and linen suits. I bought mine at J. Crew. They are excellent vintage-style shoes. I also picked up a pair of suede wing-tips in dark brown from J. Crew, very cool indeed.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What's the discerning opinion on these Johnston & Murphy wingtip bucks? The one non-classic thing about them is the slightly bulb toe. I'm thinking they might have been neither fish nor fowl in the 30s. Love the perf job tho (so I bought a pair!).

J&M Brennan Wingtip
827-256086-1.jpg

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
What's the discerning opinion on these Johnston & Murphy wingtip bucks? The one non-classic thing about them is the slightly bulb toe. I'm thinking they might have been neither fish nor fowl in the 30s. Love the perf job tho (so I bought a pair!).

J&M Brennan Wingtip
827-256086-1.jpg

I picked up a pair of the J&M saddle shoes in white buck...love 'em!

Dashing1

New in Town
Good pickup on the white saddle bucks. Of the J&M choices, they look the best to me, as saddles and crepe soles go together well. I'm less enamored of the white wingtip bucks, as the brogue style strikes me as funny with a (very casual) crepe sole. I'm probably just weird that way.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't have a pic, but a few years ago I actually picked up a white and brown J & M captoe spectator. It is really comfortable and has held up surprisingly well. To some folks, a captoe spectator strikes them oddly, but I like them (to each his own quirks). I'll try to post a pic.

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:

J&M Brennan Wingtip
827-256086-1.jpg

I have no idea what I'd wear them with, but those are just gorgeous in white - never seen patterened brogues in all over white before.

Dashing1

New in Town
The J & M perf wingtip bucks would be good with me, if not for the crepe sole. I think the wingtip begs for a leather sole.

None-the-less, I am always thrilled to see white bucks in almost any variation, as the carrying of them in stores leads to more choices for me and my quirky tastes!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got these last night at the Bass Outlet store for a grand total of 19 bucks.
Also tried on the ones at the Johnston and Murphy store, but they just didn't fit right.

IMG_4290.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I got these last night at the Bass Outlet store for a grand total of 19 bucks.
Also tried on the ones at the Johnston and Murphy store, but they just didn't fit right.

If you tell me you wear a 10 1/2 I shall be very angry.:rage: lol

Very nice!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
They had them in all sizes. I wear a 12-1/2, but these are an 11 and fit. Sizes in outlet stores are screwy.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore white shoes for the longest time (decades!) simply because of the influence of that Canadian voice, Burton Cummings! He always had white shoes on the Guess Who LP covers and I emulated that for years! I met Burt once and had the chance to tell him of his influence. For a good example take a look at the 'So Long Banatyne' LP. Here's a couple of pics!

BurtonCummings-1.jpg
BurtonCummingsBucks.jpg

Long live white bucks!

-dixon cannon

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Calling All Cars: Bass Nubucks help?

Ok, my Bass nubucks are about dead, I need new ones. White.
Problem is, I can't find any in my size!! I'd prefer to stick with Bass- I think they make the red crepe soles better than the others. My knees tend to agree with me.
Any ideas? I've checked Ebay, Bizrate, Price Grabber, the usuals, I live 2 miles away from an outlet store, no avail. Are there any Ventura Co or LA county stores that carry them? I wear a 12 by the way- that's been the restricting factor.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
dakotanorth said:
Ok, my Bass nubucks are about dead, I need new ones. White.
Problem is, I can't find any in my size!! I'd prefer to stick with Bass- I think they make the red crepe soles better than the others. My knees tend to agree with me.
Any ideas? I've checked Ebay, Bizrate, Price Grabber, the usuals, I live 2 miles away from an outlet store, no avail. Are there any Ventura Co or LA county stores that carry them? I wear a 12 by the way- that's been the restricting factor.

Did you ask someone at the outlet if they were able to get them for you from another store? Some stores will do this; it might be worth a try.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
Did you ask someone at the outlet if they were able to get them for you from another store? Some stores will do this; it might be worth a try.

I tried that- basically outlets stores are a method of dumping surplus onto the market. Since they are trying to dump stuff, they won't bother with transferring item, orders etc. I learned all of this when I tried!! [huh]

Jp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy