Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Bucks

WW

New in Town
Need to know where you got the Easter start date on wearing white bucks. I've heard Easter some time ago and that's the preferred answer (am ready to wear them now), but 'round here (Georgia), the answer I usually hear is Memorial Day (to Labor Day). Any enlightenment on this important matter would be appreciated.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WW said:
Need to know where you got the Easter start date on wearing white bucks. I've heard Easter some time ago and that's the preferred answer (am ready to wear them now), but 'round here (Georgia), the answer I usually hear is Memorial Day (to Labor Day). Any enlightenment on this important matter would be appreciated.

If you're hearing Memorial Day in Savannah you're talking to the wrong people. South of the Mason & Dixon it's Easter, or Derby Day if you're conservative.

Long Live White Bucks!

p1011061wp3.jpg

Teacher

Familiar Face
AlanC said:
If you're hearing Memorial Day in Savannah you're talking to the wrong people. South of the Mason & Dixon it's Easter, or Derby Day if you're conservative.

Long Live White Bucks!

p1011061wp3.jpg

Alan, what brand are these? They look exactly like my NOS pair of Johnston and Murphy bucs.

Teacher

Familiar Face
AlanC said:
Those are Brooks Brothers that Rider thinks were made by J&M so good call.

Interesting. When did you get them? I mean it: they are photocopies -- right down to the contrast between the "red" welts and the "red" soles -- of my own.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got them on ebay a couple of years ago. I have no idea how old they are. They're made in USA and are sized:

D
B

The fit is on the narrow side, perhaps the slightest bit short.

Teacher

Familiar Face
AlanC said:
I got them on ebay a couple of years ago. I have no idea how old they are. They're made in USA and are sized:

D
B

The fit is on the narrow side, perhaps the slightest bit short.

Holy cow...I could have typed the exact same thing, word for word. No kidding!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just got my plaintoe bucks out yesterday for the first wear of the season. The occasion: a 60th anniversary garden party in Connecticut, conditions 72° and sunny. A textbook appropriate occasion except for the April date. To which I respond: the hell with the date.

Dashing1

New in Town
I am deeply attached to my white bucks! I consistently rotate 2 pairs of white, plaintoe bucks & throw in a pair of white buck wingtip dress shoes (with leather sole) periodically.

I also enjoy from time-to-time sporting some Church's blue suede plain-toe lace-ups (with brick sole) that I purchased a few years ago to jazz things up (or to "buck" tradition, as it were!):)

Teacher

Familiar Face
dakotanorth said:
I wear mine out of season, but that's because my knees tend to bark at me after hard leather soled shoes.

What do you guys do to keep your white bucks WHITE?

I just use a suede brush and a suede/nubuck eraser, but some people purchase little chalk-filled bags. Just tap the bags against the shoes, and chalk dispenses. Too much work for me, but it might be worth your time to find something like this online.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Tricks of the trade

Thanks guys, but sad part is, I already have the eraser, brush, and talc (??) bag. I think I'm too rough on shoes to wear white suede.... :(

Maybe I'll get white leather instead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy