Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White & Davis Western Hats 1929

rlk

I'll Lock Up
SCAN0385.JPG

John B. Stetson Hats
SCAN0386.JPG
SCAN0387.JPG

SCAN0388.JPG
SCAN0389.JPG

SCAN0390.JPG
SCAN0391.JPG

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Robert. Gotta love the Monster (8 inch crown). That should get Josh going.....

What's up with the Rosebud?

B

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I'll take the middle hat right side on Page 2 please, the El Favorite. I guess everybody thought that they were Calvin Coolidge with those big crowns and wide brims.

Later

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Very very neat. One thing I'm curious about. When did that very tall, gum drop shaped crown go out of style? Such western icons as William S. Hart, Hoot Gibson, Tom Mix and Hopalong Cassidy wore that style hat, but it seems to have evaporated by the 40's. If I ever get a western style hat (a very distinct possibility) I think I'd like one like that.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Robert, this is an absolutely SPECTACULAR find!! Thanks so much for posting this!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks Robert. Gotta love the Monster (8 inch crown). That should get Josh going.....

What's up with the Rosebud?

B

After seeing that 8 inch crown.......I had to have a cold drink. The room started spinning and my vision went hazy...;)

That El Monster is absolutely crazy. An 8 inch crown, coupled with a 5 1/2 inch brim!! Now THATS a western!

I really do love the look of a wide ribbon on these super tall crowned westerns. I'm sure a thin ribbon just makes these things look like they have 15 inch crowns.

I must admit though, the Carlsbad crease isn't my favorite. I think this crease:

elmonte.jpg

looks so much better with a tall crown. I might be biased though....the center crease IS my favorite crease.

I admired that one too Josh... it stands out (or up) from the crowd of carlsbad creases.

Were these style names from Stetson or from the retailer?

TipTop

Practically Family
Very very neat. One thing I'm curious about. When did that very tall, gum drop shaped crown go out of style? Such western icons as William S. Hart, Hoot Gibson, Tom Mix and Hopalong Cassidy wore that style hat, but it seems to have evaporated by the 40's. If I ever get a western style hat (a very distinct possibility) I think I'd like one like that.

I'm gonna guess that when they traded in the Model T or even Model A, those babies wouldn't fit in the new Ford Tudor; not to mention they were wearing new styles in the "talkies."

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had just read in another thread that I can't find right now 'cowboy' hats went through a three or four part evolution.

1. The original wear whatever you had style of the late 19th century.
2. The Tom Mix, or 'Gus' hat featured in this thread
3. The lower crowned 40s and 50s Western film style which led to the Clint Eastwood style, in the 1960s.

After that, it was a grab of whatever style one could find.

I don't know how completely accurate all that is. I assume that it's all always open to interpretation.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This seems like a good place to insert this. I try to get this clip into any conversation I can. :)[video=youtube;3dlbkWBRfPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dlbkWBRfPo[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21